The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default What brand vaccine do you use?

My mare has reacted badly the last two years to the vaccines I have available locally (which is the Merck Encevac linked here) and so I am looking at purchasing vaccines online.

It looks like there are few options. I would like to find a separate EWT, WNV, and rhino/flu--trying to avoid the 5 or 6 way vaccines. Fort Dodge is an option, but I know many people who report their horses react badly to Fort Dodge.

Any input/ideas?

Mine have had reactions to Ft Dodge vaccines and I don't use them anymore. I have used Encevac without any issues. This year I used Boehringer vaccines (Calvenza and Vetera) and did not have any issues. It's the adjuvant that causes reactions, so look at the label and get something that has a different adjuvant than the one you know causes a reaction.

Nothing much to add because my horses are not sensitive to vaccines but in the past I have used Fort Dodge vaccines because that is what the equine clinic where I worked used. I quit working there last spring and am using a vet practice new to me so I bought my vaccines from them this year. They are using the Vetera Gold vaccine- one shot is E/W/T/WNV and Flue rhino. My horses had no problem with that vaccine.

I agree with the above posters, and just gave my horses the Vetera Gold with absolutely no issues. It's the adjuvant that causes the issues, and the Vetera states the additive they use rarely causes issues.

Alright, so it sounds like my options are:

Use the Merck vaccine again that has caused a reaction

Use the Fort Dodge vaccine that is known for causing reactions in other horses

Use the BI Vetera vaccine, although it looks like the most I could break it down is a combo EWT/WNV, then do rhino/flu

I don't really dig any of those options as I'd prefer to break up the EWT and WNV I guess we'll give the Vetera a try, as I'm really not interested in using the Merck stuff again and going with Fort Dodge on a vaccine reactive horse seems like a foolish move with all the reports of reactions.

Thanks for the input!