The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Couture TB View Post
    Um no. That is not what teenagers do. At least not any teenagers at any of the stables I have ever worked at, ran, or rode at in my life. Yes we rode bareback, heck we even jumped around xc bareback. When we had the proper balance to ride without our stirrups. On good ground. Not endangering our horses or us.

That girl needs to get riding lessons and not only learn how to ride, but also horsemanship. I wouldn't put up with her or her horse in my stable.

And the whole "she is doing what she loves" Well they can put that on her headstone at the rate she is going
    Well, I guess it just depends on how you grew up and what opportunities you had to ride. Some us us are born with the silver spoon, riding lessons, ponies given to us and responsible adults keeping an eye on us, making sure everything is safe and controlled.

Some of us do not have any of the above and get to experience the exhilaration of galloping full tilt, bareback, helmetless in shorts and bare feet, galloping bareback with a halter and lead rope, swimming, jumping things you should not be jumping, riding in bad weather or on not so great surfaces, maybe thinking it's fun to teach a horse to rear because we have no problem sitting it (again, lack of adult supervision is key here), seeing how high we could jump (bareback) or whatever.

I was one of the second type of kids and it looks like the kid in the video is also on that group as well. I can not imagine being surrounded by adults who are not paying attention and leaving me to my own devices and then having a different bunch of adults bash me for it. Geesh. If anything, it is the adults in this girls life that should be taken to task for the risks this girl is taking.

I did not watch the other videos but really see nothing wrong with the original link. Some of it is not pretty but that is a compilation that the kid put together for effect so I'm doubting she is riding her horse like that all the time and it is obvious she loves him. She is a teen besotted with her horse. Hopefully she and her horse will survive and she will have to leard from her mistakes because I guess no-one is teaching her but if she sticks with it she will know some things the kids in the first group won't and she will be a decent rider as well. She appears to have a decent seat bareback over some of those jumps, especially towards the end of the video.

3 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by sketcher View Post
    Well, I guess it just depends on how you grew up and what opportunities you had to ride. Some us us are born with the silver spoon, riding lessons, ponies given to us and responsible adults keeping an eye on us, making sure everything is safe and controlled.

Some of us do not have any of the above and get to experience the exhilaration of galloping full tilt, bareback, helmetless in shorts and bare feet, galloping bareback with a halter and lead rope, swimming, jumping things you should not be jumping, riding in bad weather or on not so great surfaces, maybe thinking it's fun to teach a horse to rear because we have no problem sitting it (again, lack of adult supervision is key here), seeing how high we could jump (bareback) or whatever.

I was one of the second type of kids and it looks like the kid in the video is also on that group as well. I can not imagine being surrounded by adults who are not paying attention and leaving me to my own devices and then having a different bunch of adults bash me for it. Geesh. If anything, it is the adults in this girls life that should be taken to task for the risks this girl is taking.

I did not watch the other videos but really see nothing wrong with the original link. Some of it is not pretty but that is a compilation that the kid put together for effect so I'm doubting she is riding her horse like that all the time and it is obvious she loves him. She is a teen besotted with her horse. Hopefully she and her horse will survive and she will have to leard from her mistakes because I guess no-one is teaching her but if she sticks with it she will know some things the kids in the first group won't and she will be a decent rider as well. She appears to have a decent seat bareback over some of those jumps, especially towards the end of the video.
    I think what others are saying -- and I agree -- is that:
    1) This person isn't a child; she's an 18 year old woman... an adult.
    2) She (by her own admission) trains horses for others and takes on project horses.
    3) She shows regularly and at fairly large competitions (judgeing by the vids of her showing).
    4) Owning three horses -- including warmbloods -- keeping them at a lovely facility (again, the vids), showing regularly, etc. doesn't indicate a lack of financial opportunities.

And posting 153 videos, most of which feature the "trainer" engaging in dangerous behaviours, and which feature titles that suggest danger: "Luke Being a D*ckhead", "My Horse is a Chainsaw", "500 Subscribers FAIL VIDEO", "I Knew You Were Trouble", "Falling Off", "Falling", "Out of Time and Falling", "Doctor Says I'm Lucky to be Alive" . . . , and then asking for more subscribers does not indicate that this woman is trying to avoid being the topic of public discussion.

7 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by gumshoe View Post
    I see more love for the camera than love for the horse or riding.
    THIS X 1,000. Maybe she loves her horse but what she REALLY seems to love is uploading videos of herself doing stupid shit so that random strangers can post "OMG ur SuCH n AMMAznG RiDDER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!"

I despair about these massive, online personas that SOME teenagers/young adults seem to spend most of their waking hours constructing. Honestly, I think it's a kind of mental illness. I teach a course where I take biology/environmental science students out into the field for a month in Ecuador. It's a pretty amazing trip and we see a lot of very cool things, so I am not surprised that students take a lot of pictures but what blows my brain is how many pictures they take of THEMSELVES. One girl took over 2,000 pictures and I swear to god she was in 95% of them -- either "selfies" or asking other people to take her picture. And then whenever we got to a place where we had internet access, there was a mad rush to upload to public sites. I was gobsmacked. It was like the point of the experience was to be photographed having the experience.

I checked out this girl's videos (yeah, I'm procrastinating) and I'll bet you dollars to doughnuts that most, if not all, of these "fun times with her horsie" were staged for the camera, not just "we're having fun, we should take some pictures!". She is consistently overfacing and screwing up with that horse, just for the sake of a "cool shot".

I'm not criticizing her for bad riding -- holy crap, that would be hypocritical. If bad riding lands you in hell, well, I know where I'm going . I've yanked out horses' back teeth, slammed on backs, buried horses so deep to fences they need a backhoe to dig out -- guilty, guilty, guilty. But I try very hard not to put my horse in a position where I am likely to make a bad mistake that the horse will have to pay for. When I make a bad mistake, I ask myself if it was a one-off or whether it means I need to go back and fill a hole in my training before I put my horse in a bad position again. In this girl's case, she has no business jumping a sizeable triple-bar bareback. Yeah, she's gutsy, but who is paying the price here? Jumping bareback does help your position IF you are jumping small enough fences that you can stay with the motion and learn to balance. That doesn't look quite as exciting for the camera, though .

Lest you think I'm just down on all teenagers -- I know plenty of young riders who have no time for these kinds of shenanigans. My daughter has been riding since she was 8, has owned her horse since she was 11 (she's 20 soon), and has evented him for 5 years. She is gutsy as hell, but her first concern is her horse's physical and mental well-being. She is a damn good rider but more importantly she is a damn good horseman -- Andy comes first; her ego second. I have never, EVER seen her push him to jump higher or do something stupid just for the camera. I know I'm bragging on my kid, but there are many, many just like her.

I'm all for having fun with your horse - and I am FAR from being a bubble-wrap parent. (My mom calls my parenting style "benign neglect"). However, the phrase "having fun WITH your horse" implies it's fun for both of you. Ok, putting a Santa hat on your horse for a photo shoot is probably not fun for your horse, but I think that's pretty forgivable. Consistently over-facing and souring your horse so you can look good on YouTube is not "having fun" and is likely to end badly for all concerned.

To answer the original question -- sure looked intentional to me.

I guess some of you will think I'm a meanie. I don't "hate" the kid -- I feel very badly for her that she got hurt and hope she is ok. But as supershorty said, she needs an attitude adjustment. (Speaking of young adults who DON'T do this kind of stuff and manage to be "AMMAznG!!!" riders as well as horseman -- supershorty seems to be a pretty shining example.)

(Between this and the boarding dilemma thread, I guess this is my week to dump on kids who seem to care more about their online life than taking care of their horses! Man, I am cranky -- hope the weather here improves soon!! )

22 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by DancingFoalFarms View Post
    I think what others are saying -- and I agree -- is that:
    1) This person isn't a child; she's an 18 year old woman... an adult.
    2) She (by her own admission) trains horses for others and takes on project horses.
    3) She shows regularly and at fairly large competitions (judgeing by the vids of her showing).
    4) Owning three horses -- including warmbloods -- keeping them at a lovely facility (again, the vids), showing regularly, etc. doesn't indicate a lack of financial opportunities.

And posting 153 videos, most of which feature the "trainer" engaging in dangerous behaviours, and which feature titles that suggest danger: "Luke Being a D*ckhead", "My Horse is a Chainsaw", "500 Subscribers FAIL VIDEO", "I Knew You Were Trouble", "Falling Off", "Falling", "Out of Time and Falling", "Doctor Says I'm Lucky to be Alive" . . . , and then asking for more subscribers does not indicate that this woman is trying to avoid being the topic of public discussion.
    18 is adult for some, not for others but in any event I did not see about people posting that she has 153 videos and is apparently wealthy and with a pile of warmbloods and competing at large competitions...iand anyway based on the initial video I stand by my opinion. Maybe that video is 5 years old. Maybe she does or does not have three horses and do all that showing. Maybe she does do showing and has turned into a decent rider after all. Who knows what the real story is? I don't really care. The kid in the first video does not look so bad as everyone bashed her to be based on that video alone...

1 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by sketcher View Post

Well I was born very far from a silver spoon. More of a wooden spoon. But I still had an intelligent father who taught us how to be safe on the horses. We did not have fancy horses, most were dropped off as they had issues for my family to fix. We rode bareback through fields, AFTER we had the proper balance and skills. And we always wore a helmet. We still did dumb things, no question.

Quote Originally Posted by Karosel View Post
    If you watch the kids (18 years old) other videos on youtube you'll see a pony fed up with his owners dumb kid antics....
    The other video is about pretty undisciplined, rough on the horse riding. Cute, not!
    Some riders change their horse, they change their saddle, they change their teacher; they never change themselves.

2 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Ghazzu View Post
    The child is an idiot.
    Her parents ought to be hauled in on neglect charges.
    My thought exactly. Who is the idiot taking those video. If it's a parent, they need a visit from CPA.
    Some riders change their horse, they change their saddle, they change their teacher; they never change themselves.

Oh, I grew up as one of those backyard specials, but in hindsight there was a lot of stuff I let people see that I was doing that I shouldn't have. If you do it out in public and people see it they form an opinion of you based on what they see, if you post it on the webz you may think you have privacy but you rarely do.

If the young lady is intending to make a career out of horsetraining and I were looking for a trainer something like .55 of this one is not what I want to see http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=glGMn...wFicfP_6ZEVUqg .

Most of the vids are in fact blooper reels. Where are the ones that shows her horses going nicely and consistently? Buried in between hanging legs and emergency dismounts. Somewhere she does have a comment that she doesn't take a camera on bridle trails but maybe she needs to take a cue from the entertainment industry and start to control her image.
    Courageous Weenie Eventer Wannabe
    Incredible Invisible

4 members found this post helpful.

To those of you who feel that posters are being "cruel" to the rider in these videos, I'd like to ask, where is your consideration for her horse(s)?
    "It's like a Russian nesting doll of train wrecks."--CaitlinandTheBay

...just settin' on the Group W bench.

15 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by ReSomething View Post
    Oh, I grew up as one of those backyard specials, but in hindsight there was a lot of stuff I let people see that I was doing that I shouldn't have. If you do it out in public and people see it they form an opinion of you based on what they see, if you post it on the webz you may think you have privacy but you rarely do.

If the young lady is intending to make a career out of horsetraining and I were looking for a trainer something like .55 of this one is not what I want to see http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=glGMn...wFicfP_6ZEVUqg .

Most of the vids are in fact blooper reels. Where are the ones that shows her horses going nicely and consistently? Buried in between hanging legs and emergency dismounts. Somewhere she does have a comment that she doesn't take a camera on bridle trails but maybe she needs to take a cue from the entertainment industry and start to control her image.
    Wow I had not seen that one.. She seriously needs lessons. Long spot much?
    She is lucky that little chestnut did not fall on her.
    I suppose they could be referred to as bloopers. I almost think she thinks the falling off is funny. A few jumps it looked almost like she did it on purpose. She is getting lots of hits on her videos and I think she is just eating up the attention.
    "you can only ride the drama llama so hard before it decides to spit in your face." ?Caffeinated.

I've never been kicked after a fall but was (as were others) accidently trampled after falling off a young horse. It was the first time anyone had come off and he got scared and started spinning in circles (on top of me) until he figured it out. Once I got up he was stading about 4 feet away looking at me in confusion and shaking like a leaf.

Well... Having acknowledged that I did stupid things on horses as a young person, and, now that I have looked at a few of the other videos ,I must say that I never rode a horse that badly or with such disregard for the horse's mouth..

The young lady's harsh hands are very unpleasant to watch.

6 members found this post helpful.

That is a chilling video. There is no question in my mind that 'Luke' glanced back at her with ears pinned flat and gave her one for the road, the miserable creature. She is lucky to be alive.

I do not think that Luke is a "miserable creature" he is most likely sick of her antics and could not take it anymore. There is video of the footage before the kick clip and he is CLEARLY unhappy.

I would not and do not place any blame on the horses that she rides. She is over facing them and not providing them with the proper tools to do what she is asking.

Videos like this are encouraged by other videos where the rider and horse have been training and have prepared for the next level. The palomino paint and the girl that jumps him sans tack come to mind. She is trying to be like those riders, but unfortunately, she lacks the talent.

Just because you LOVE horses does not equal a good horse person.

ETA: unless you were calling her the miserable creature, that I agree with.

Quote Originally Posted by chai View Post
    That is a chilling video. There is no question in my mind that 'Luke' glanced back at her with ears pinned flat and gave her one for the road, the miserable creature. She is lucky to be alive.

8 members found this post helpful.

After the falls she's had, I don't know how she has the nerve to get back on a horse!
    I have a Fjord! Life With Oden

I don't know anything, but I don't think the horse can be judged on a 10 second video clip. WAY more information is required to judge horse and rider.
    Proud member of the Colbert Dressage Nation

Quote Originally Posted by J-Lu View Post
    I don't know anything, but I don't think the horse can be judged on a 10 second video clip. WAY more information is required to judge horse and rider.
    There are multiple videos of varying length on her you tube channel. Pretty telling of how she approaches horsemanship.

4 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Ghazzu View Post
    To those of you who feel that posters are being "cruel" to the rider in these videos, I'd like to ask, where is your consideration for her horse(s)?
    Especially for the little chestnut she crashed into a fence. The way they landed that horse could have easily fractured a leg, sternum, stifle, etc.

This girl needs a lot of things, but apparently getting kicked in the head didn't help, so probably killing a horse won't either. She'll only stop when she's the one dying.

12 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by fargaloo View Post
    THIS X 1,000. Maybe she loves her horse but what she REALLY seems to love is uploading videos of herself doing stupid shit so that random strangers can post "OMG ur SuCH n AMMAznG RiDDER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!"

I despair about these massive, online personas that SOME teenagers/young adults seem to spend most of their waking hours constructing. Honestly, I think it's a kind of mental illness. I teach a course where I take biology/environmental science students out into the field for a month in Ecuador. It's a pretty amazing trip and we see a lot of very cool things, so I am not surprised that students take a lot of pictures but what blows my brain is how many pictures they take of THEMSELVES. One girl took over 2,000 pictures and I swear to god she was in 95% of them -- either "selfies" or asking other people to take her picture. And then whenever we got to a place where we had internet access, there was a mad rush to upload to public sites. I was gobsmacked. It was like the point of the experience was to be photographed having the experience.

I checked out this girl's videos (yeah, I'm procrastinating) and I'll bet you dollars to doughnuts that most, if not all, of these "fun times with her horsie" were staged for the camera, not just "we're having fun, we should take some pictures!". She is consistently overfacing and screwing up with that horse, just for the sake of a "cool shot".

I'm not criticizing her for bad riding -- holy crap, that would be hypocritical. If bad riding lands you in hell, well, I know where I'm going . I've yanked out horses' back teeth, slammed on backs, buried horses so deep to fences they need a backhoe to dig out -- guilty, guilty, guilty. But I try very hard not to put my horse in a position where I am likely to make a bad mistake that the horse will have to pay for. When I make a bad mistake, I ask myself if it was a one-off or whether it means I need to go back and fill a hole in my training before I put my horse in a bad position again. In this girl's case, she has no business jumping a sizeable triple-bar bareback. Yeah, she's gutsy, but who is paying the price here? Jumping bareback does help your position IF you are jumping small enough fences that you can stay with the motion and learn to balance. That doesn't look quite as exciting for the camera, though .

Lest you think I'm just down on all teenagers -- I know plenty of young riders who have no time for these kinds of shenanigans. My daughter has been riding since she was 8, has owned her horse since she was 11 (she's 20 soon), and has evented him for 5 years. She is gutsy as hell, but her first concern is her horse's physical and mental well-being. She is a damn good rider but more importantly she is a damn good horseman -- Andy comes first; her ego second. I have never, EVER seen her push him to jump higher or do something stupid just for the camera. I know I'm bragging on my kid, but there are many, many just like her.

I'm all for having fun with your horse - and I am FAR from being a bubble-wrap parent. (My mom calls my parenting style "benign neglect"). However, the phrase "having fun WITH your horse" implies it's fun for both of you. Ok, putting a Santa hat on your horse for a photo shoot is probably not fun for your horse, but I think that's pretty forgivable. Consistently over-facing and souring your horse so you can look good on YouTube is not "having fun" and is likely to end badly for all concerned.

To answer the original question -- sure looked intentional to me.

I guess some of you will think I'm a meanie. I don't "hate" the kid -- I feel very badly for her that she got hurt and hope she is ok. But as supershorty said, she needs an attitude adjustment. (Speaking of young adults who DON'T do this kind of stuff and manage to be "AMMAznG!!!" riders as well as horseman -- supershorty seems to be a pretty shining example.)

(Between this and the boarding dilemma thread, I guess this is my week to dump on kids who seem to care more about their online life than taking care of their horses! Man, I am cranky -- hope the weather here improves soon!! )
    Thank heavens people like you still exist. And brag on your kid all you want!
    You hit the nail on the head with this post! Nuff said!
    "you can only ride the drama llama so hard before it decides to spit in your face." ?Caffeinated.

7 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by fargaloo View Post
    Aww, thank you so much!!