The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast
    Northern Virginia, 45 minutes east of paradise - 2 hrs during rush hour

Quote Originally Posted by gumshoe View Post
    No, that isn't what "normal" teenagers do. To say so is pretty insulting to actual "normal" teenagers.

After watching some of her other videos, I'm pretty sure that wasn't her first kick in the head. Or her mother dropped her on her head. Does she even have parents? It doesn't look like it. I guess I'd accept that as an excuse for her incredibly dangerous behavior. She raised herself.

And Stacie, did you notice how often she is -not- wearing a helmet in those videos? I honestly, absolutely do not know any teenagers who don't wear a helmet. I guess I must know the only intelligent safety minded teenagers in the universe. But I doubt that is true.
    Wow. Have you any idea how incredibly unkind you are being?
    "The mighty oak is a nut who stood its ground"

"...you'll never win Olympic gold by shaking a carrot stick at a warmblood..." see u at x

4 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Stacie View Post
    Wow. Have you any idea how incredibly unkind you are being?
    Do you get how "unkind" you are being by chalking her behavior up as "normal teenager" behavior?? For what it is worth she has parents as she stated so on one of her youtube videos.. She said the parents want to sell the horse and she the teenager in this situation is saying no. Sounds like a bunch of pushovers to me..

15 members found this post helpful.

The video was put up by riders4helmets to illustrate what could happen and how a helmet can reduce the injury. I guess from the photo of the damage with a helmet, she'd be in a hospital bed starting PT at best without.

As far as the mindset behind the riding shown in the videos I'd much rather see this: http://www.nickertown.com/page/Breathe.aspx .
    Courageous Weenie Eventer Wannabe
    Incredible Invisible

1 members found this post helpful.

I've watched the "other" videos...and I just see a teenage girl having fun with her pony. Yes, she falls a lot...I don't see a "pissed off pony" or whatever.
    I did my share of goofing around too, when I was her age...I did the bareback / standing on horse/ no helmet while galloping and jumping solid fences/ riding...
    No big deal.
    Now, if she were MY daughter, I would be a bit anxious...lol
    Ottbs - The finish line is only the beginning!

4 members found this post helpful.

The child is an idiot.
    Her parents ought to be hauled in on neglect charges.
    "It's like a Russian nesting doll of train wrecks."--CaitlinandTheBay

...just settin' on the Group W bench.

16 members found this post helpful.

Northern Virginia, 45 minutes east of paradise - 2 hrs during rush hour

Quote Originally Posted by Kwalker024 View Post
    Do you get how "unkind" you are being by chalking her behavior up as "normal teenager" behavior?? For what it is worth she has parents as she stated so on one of her youtube videos.. She said the parents want to sell the horse and she the teenager in this situation is saying no. Sounds like a bunch of pushovers to me..
    Making bad decisions is normal teenage behavior. I've read the research papers that base this on brain development. Feeling invincible is normal teenage behavior. I've read those papers, too. At this point in my life, I'm not willing to criticize anyone until they are over 24 and their brain is done rewiring itself. Because until then, nobody is playing with a full deck.
    Let me tell you, I have seen all kinds of decent riders and horseman who didn't have nearly the love for their animals and the joy of riding that I saw in her video. So, she does dumb things. So what? She can work on that. She'll grow up.
    In the meantime, does she need a bunch of strangers who don't know her bashing her in a public forum? Seriously.. she's a kid. Why don't you post a video of yourself riding and see how that works out for you. It's like swimming in the shark tank.
    There is never any excuse for unkindness. I don't care how stupid you think someone is being.
    "The mighty oak is a nut who stood its ground"

"...you'll never win Olympic gold by shaking a carrot stick at a warmblood..." see u at x

3 members found this post helpful.

Making bad decisions is normal teenage behavior. I've read the research papers that base this on brain development. Feeling invincible is normal teenage behavior. I've read those papers, too. At this point in my life, I'm not willing to criticize anyone until they are over 24 and their brain is done rewiring itself. Because until then, nobody is playing with a full deck.
    Let me tell you, I have seen all kinds of decent riders and horseman who didn't have nearly the love for their animals and the joy of riding that I saw in her video. So, she does dumb things. So what? She can work on that. She'll grow up.
    In the meantime, does she need a bunch of strangers who don't know her bashing her in a public forum? Seriously.. she's a kid. Why don't you post a video of yourself riding and see how that works out for you. It's like swimming in the shark tank.
    There is never any excuse for unkindness. I don't care how stupid you think someone is being.
    Making bad decisions is apart of life in general teenager or not. I will also agree that mentally teenagers aren't done "cooking" till mid-twenties. However, I haven't seen many people bashing her like crazy just being blunt about what needs to happen.

At any age sometimes you need tough love and hear it like it is. She may very well be completely oblivious to how dangerous she is being and she needs to hear that.

I'm certainly not some fantastic rider and never claimed to be but some basic safety things need to be said and addressed.

2 members found this post helpful.

She'll grow up.
    For what it's worth, I hope you are right. But it seems unlikely.

Ah the defense and excuse of all lawyers defending teenage and child murders, rapists, and thieves.

If my 5 year old student can understand why she needs to wear a helmet and behave in a safe manner around all the ponies and the stable then an 18 year old, who by the way is NOT a child, who is an ADULT, can be taught that.

10 members found this post helpful.

Interesting posts everyone.

I don't see her doing things THAT horrible with the horse and most of the time (most of the time) he seems a pretty good sport about it. Some of the videos are obviously older as she does seem to get better hands over time, keeps her heels down more, etc. but she still needs some work and she should NOT be riding bareback. She just doesn't have the butt glue for it. At least on a pony whose conformation seems to shuttle the rider forward anyway. On the other hand she has taught him "tricks" which are not only dangerous but lead the horse to not respect her. He seems to see himself as the more dominant piece of the equation. And he's a bit of a brat. But I don't think he needs to be slaughtered as someone suggested. He just needs to be handled better and retrained.

I've never had a horse intentionally kick me after a fall although I did "catch" one once. My youngest had no respect when I got her, on the 3rd day here she was crowding me in the morning at feeding time and I popped her on the butt (with my weak little hand so it isn't like it hurt or startled her) and she jumped up in the air and kicked me in the thigh and wrist. Kind of a mix of high spirits and don't tell ME what to do. It wasn't (thankfully) a full out kick but it was hard enough to break my wrist and the bruise on my leg was a raised hoof shape. OMG, the food went back out the gate and we had a come to Jesus meeting right there. I never hit her but she didn't know that, she thought I was out to kill her and after however many minutes of this (I'm too fat to chase them around very long and besides I couldn't hardly move my hand!) she was BEGGING me to let her come over. Then I brought the food back and made her back up and stand politely for me to put it down.

And she's never done it again.
    Every mighty oak was once a nut that stood its ground.

Proud Closet Canterer! Member Riders with Fibromyalgia clique.

Having done some stunningly stupid things with horses as a child, I did learn from them and thus did not repeat the behavior.
    This is the crux of the matter. Young people must learn to consider their (and their horses') welfare, and if they don't learn from their mistakes, then they should not be allowed to continue to handle horses without the supervision of a competent horse person.

This horse and rider combination , if no one intervenes, will result in tragedy. It's only a matter of time.

6 members found this post helpful.

If she was a 35 year old man with flowing locks and a baroque horse, people would pay $20 a pop to watch her on a stage with her horse doing those tricks and exclaiming about what a wonderful bond the rider has with his horse.

She loves that horse and she is brave.
    She is doing what any young person does who truly loves horses. Loving them with our souls and sometimes riding badly. She'll learn to ride better. But love and bravery you cannot teach.

If she was a clueless as everyone says, she wouldn't have been wearing the helmet at all.

I am editing this to say that I agree she is doing some dangerous riding. Never said she wasn't. But that is fairly typical for teenagers with horse. Sorry if the reader doesn't like it. It's a fact. Thankfully she has learned to wear her helmet even if she wasn't wearing one in the video.
    You give the rider way too much credit. Teenagers get to do stupid, self-centered shizzle up to a point.... when your horse tries to kick you in the head, that's the line. If rider doesn't change her ways after this, she deserves everything she gets. For the love of God, it takes a lot to make most horses want to go out of their way to hurt a person, so this should count as a wake-up call.
    The armchair saddler
    Politically Pro-Cat

7 members found this post helpful.

Yes, the teen-age brain isn't fully developed. They've been able to prove this with imaging. The part of the frontal lobe that is responsibility for the ability to judge one's own actions and predict consequences isn't fully developed until as late as the mid 20's. That doesn't mean there aren't responsible teenagers or irresponsible adults. To me, it does mean that teenagers need adult guidance and supervision, especially when engaging in relatively dangerous activities.

A lot of people are saying they survived the crazy things they did as teens. I did too. Not all my friends did.
    Last edited by TemJeito; Apr. 12, 2013 at 09:38 AM. Reason: edited to add missing word

I work with servicemembers coming back from the war, the majority of whom have mild TBI.

They are taught to ask themselves two questions before doing something that might be iffy: "Is it Safe?" and "Is it Stupid?"
    Last edited by californianinkansas; Apr. 12, 2013 at 07:04 AM. Reason: Grammar

Kids out of control on a horse are no different than a dog harassing a horse. It looks like fun to the dog - but no horse person would think the horse was in a good place. For sure those defenses are gonna come out.

She needs supervision.

5 members found this post helpful.

I see more love for the camera than love for the horse or riding.

23 members found this post helpful.

I did make a comment on one of her videos of another horse that she's supposedly "training" for someone - she keeps calling the horse names and I pointed out that that's extremely unprofessional.

I didn't bother to say anything about her riding because I don't do unsolicited critiques, but holy mother of god, she needs some lessons and an attitude adjustment.

8 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by ElisLove View Post
    To add to this discussion, has anyone ever been kicked after a fall? If so, what was your relationship with the horse? Did the horse exhibit any aggressive habits in any part of his life (ever kicked out during leading/grooming, ever bit, ect)? Did you think the kick was intentional? Had you ever fallen off the horse before where it did not kick out?
    I personally have fallen off several different horses in my riding time and have never been kicked or even stepped on. I have seen a horse appear to kick out once after a fall, but am not sure if it was actually kicking out or just was trying to free itself as the rider had ended up directly underneath the horse's back legs (horse bucked her off as horse was coming back into work after an injury and long stall rest period, horse was almost bucking while backing up and that's how rider ended up under the horse). He never connected but he was doing a kicking out motion.
    I do think the horse in the video aimed and kicked at her intentionally.

My junior hunter that I had years ago did kick at me after I fell off once. He could be a dirty stopper. He stopped, dropped his shoulder, and spun. I fell off, and he kicked in my general direction as he spun away. I'm told he nearly connected with my head, but did not touch me at all. He was not an aggressive horse, and I had probably owned him for about three years when it happened. My guess is that he was kicking at the fence, and I happened to be there in front of it. He had never done that before that incident, and he never did it again. He was a bucker, so if he spooked and took off, there was usually bucking...I'm thinking this was the same kind of thing. I don't think it was an aimed kick, and no one else really seemed to think so either, despite the fact that he nearly got me. It didn't scare me to ride him after that or anything.

My current horse almost kicked me in the face once while lunging. He was very fresh, and there was a lot of crazy stuff going on in the ring. I had just sent him out on the circle, so he wasn't far from me yet. Unfortunately, three kittens (yes, kittens) ran into the arena and into the lunge line circle to chase the lunge whip. He was basically fine with this, until another boarder started screaming "The kittens!" and ran into the circle to rescue them. She ran in and ran out, and my horse panicked and double barrelled at all of us. His hoof was close enough to my face that I was positive I was going to get it, and dirt hit me in the face. I got it together, finished lunging him, put him away, and then went into the bathroom and threw up. I've had him for four and a half years. He can be a bit of a jerk. I don't think he necessarily would intentionally hurt me, but I do think he just doesn't care sometimes when he really loses it.

1 members found this post helpful.

Oh my goodness. Just watched some of the other videos. It was only a matter of time before something like this happened. I agree that she is completely reckless, way beyond the bounds of "normal" teenage shenanigans, and that her parents need to stop this nonsense before she gets killed.

And, yes, she is in desperate need of riding lessons. After watching her run the horses at terrible distances over and over and over, I understand why they would stop, and I even understand why this one kicked at her. It's a terrible thing.

6 members found this post helpful.