The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Back to Normal.. or as close as I'll ever get

To answer the OP:

1)Yup - that horse took aim and fired.
    I won't even try to go into the whys & wherefores, but that kick was aimed & intentional.

IMO horses can & do know exactly where their feet will land and can "pull the punch" which is probably all that saved Rosie's life here, helmet or not.

My proof is the TB I owned & loved for 20 years kicked at me just once in all those years and NEVER after a fall < of which we managed to have a few.

The One Time I had the nerve to shoo him out of his stall and away from his hay for reasons of my own, with which he clearly did not agree.
    That kick just grazed my arm and TG he was not shod or it probably would have broken it. As it was I had a nice road rash and some tenderness for about a week after the immediate sting.
    I was close enough to his back end that if he had wanted to he could have landed a solid kick.
    I got the warning and never made that mistake again.
    *friend of bar.ka*RIP all my lovely boys, gone too soon:
    Steppin' Out 1988-2004
    Hey Vern! 1982-2009
    Cash's Bay Threat 1994-2009

I agree with GAP. For whatever reason, the horse does not like the rider. And yes, she's lucky that she had on her helmet. And yes she shouldn't be jumping on that surface bareback. Most horses know exactly what they are doing when they kick at someone who just fell off of them. The horse was not surprised, or scared, it was ****** off.

That horse was really pissed. Can't blame him as I watched some of her other videos and all I can say is that she has a death wish.

5 members found this post helpful.

Wow, Poor thing finally had enough of her games.
    She falls off more than she stays on. One tollerant soul from all the crap he took in that long Video. She is too big for him as well.
    "you can only ride the drama llama so hard before it decides to spit in your face." Caffeinated.

1 members found this post helpful.

I have one to add to the ops ?.... I was breaking my mare (a first for me) many years ago. On our first 'ride' she bucked a little when I mounted and I landed back on my right foot after she bucked she kicked out and tagged me in the knee. Our second attempt was much more successful! But, she had always had excellent aim and in her early years I learned a lot the hard way! She hasn't even tried anything funny in over 8 years, but I'll always have a healthy respect for those feet! As one poster mentioned earlier, she met with the Tasmanian devil and has been a lady ever since!

Northern Virginia, 45 minutes east of paradise - 2 hrs during rush hour

If she was a 35 year old man with flowing locks and a baroque horse, people would pay $20 a pop to watch her on a stage with her horse doing those tricks and exclaiming about what a wonderful bond the rider has with his horse.

She loves that horse and she is brave.
    She is doing what any young person does who truly loves horses. Loving them with our souls and sometimes riding badly. She'll learn to ride better. But love and bravery you cannot teach.

If she was a clueless as everyone says, she wouldn't have been wearing the helmet at all.

I am editing this to say that I agree she is doing some dangerous riding. Never said she wasn't. But that is fairly typical for teenagers with horse. Sorry if the reader doesn't like it. It's a fact. Thankfully she has learned to wear her helmet even if she wasn't wearing one in the video.
    Last edited by Stacie; Apr. 11, 2013 at 05:32 PM.
    "The mighty oak is a nut who stood its ground"

"...you'll never win Olympic gold by shaking a carrot stick at a warmblood..." see u at x

10 members found this post helpful.

If she was a clueless as everyone says, she wouldn't have been wearing the helmet at all.
    oh, i saw some clips in there where she wasn't.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Gravity works, and the laws of physics are a bitch.

Member: Rabid Garden Snail Clique

4 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by ElisLove View Post
    To add to this discussion, has anyone ever been kicked after a fall? If so, what was your relationship with the horse? Did the horse exhibit any aggressive habits in any part of his life (ever kicked out during leading/grooming, ever bit, ect)?
    No, but it's surprising. My Conjure has a habit of cow-kicking. He's done it when I groomed his flank; he's done it on the lunge; and he's done it when something got around his back feet. Naturally, my trainer and I have done a lot of work on de-sensitizing him to all these things and he's only done it once in the past year.

Oddly, though, when I fell off him and thus did all the things that push his cow-kick button (sudden noise, slipping down his flank, ending up around his feet), he calmly got his little QH hoovsies away from me and ate grass nearby till I could get up again.

Might be Conjure takes care of his Food Lady. Or it might be true the Lord looks after fools.

Quote Originally Posted by Stacie View Post
    If she was a 35 year old man with flowing locks and a baroque horse, people would pay $20 a pop to watch her on a stage with her horse doing those tricks and exclaiming about what a wonderful bond the rider has with his horse.

She is doing what any young person does who truly loves horses. Loving them with our souls and sometimes riding badly. She'll learn to ride better. But love and bravery you cannot teach.

Half the time she isn't wearing a helmet and in the article it states she didn't always wear her helmet previously. I'll admit she has some gumption getting back on over and over and over but that doesn't make her behavior less dumb and dangerous.

17 members found this post helpful.

Northern Virginia, 45 minutes east of paradise - 2 hrs during rush hour

Quote Originally Posted by Kwalker024 View Post
    Half the time she isn't wearing a helmet and in the article it states she didn't always wear her helmet previously. I'll admit she has some gumption getting back on over and over and over but that doesn't make her behavior less dumb and dangerous.
    I'm not disagreeing. She is a teenager... that is what they do. My point is that this does not make her a terrible person who is abusing her horse with her ignorant ways.
    "The mighty oak is a nut who stood its ground"

"...you'll never win Olympic gold by shaking a carrot stick at a warmblood..." see u at x

5 members found this post helpful.

And after watching the most recent video on her youtube channel girl has a screw loose.. If you read the comments under it where she responds to her injury it is almost like she thinks it is no big deal to have permanent nerve damage.. Something isn't right and she is so so lucky she and that poor horse haven't been injured more seriously by her previous stunts. Barreling through jumps, jumping on unsafe footing, encouraging the horse to rear and even worse on wet cement, and the list goes on. Where does this girl even live?

3 members found this post helpful.

I'm not disagreeing. She is a teenager... that is what they do. My point is that this does not make her a terrible person who is abusing her horse with her ignorant ways.
    As someone who was recently a teenager and who also did dumb and unsafe things that at the time I thought were "fun" I never did things that could very well hurt my horse. Jumping when footing is deep and muddy or even frozen is unacceptable. That is just one thing she is doing that could seriously injure the horse. I'd say she is more negligent then anything, abuse probably isn't the right word (nor did I ever say that). If you want to jump bareback, stand on your horse, etc. and risk your own safety go for it but she needs to consider what is safe for the horse too.

7 members found this post helpful.

I'm a teenager. I've ridden without a helmet twice. Once was when I got on, wondered "What's missing?" Noticed I had somehow mounted sans helmet...jumped off and put it on.

2nd time was at my uncle's house in Nebraska on his draftie. I was so nervous going without a helmet that I got off almost right away. It is not "what teenagers do." It's what people with no regard for their own safety do. NEVER would I teach a horse to rear or do ANYTHING that could endanger my horse.

I've been kicked after a fall before. Fell off, horse got me in the tailbone with a back leg. Couldn't sit down for a week.
    Proud member of the COTH Junior (and Junior-at-Heart!) clique!

10 members found this post helpful.

I just visited her channel too, and was surprised to see video after video of her horses striking, rearing, bolting, bucking, and generally behaving in what I would consider to be dangerous ways. At times it looked like she was encouraging the behaviour, but it's difficult to tell.

Quote Originally Posted by DancingFoalFarms View Post
    I just visited her channel too, and was surprised to see video after video of her horses striking, rearing, bolting, bucking, and generally behaving in what I would consider to be dangerous ways. At times it looked like she was encouraging the behaviour, but it's difficult to tell.

It looks pretty encouraged to me and certainly not disciplined after misbehaving. Have there been times I've laughed at a pony who was being a little naughty and bucking a little sure but when it comes down too it the behavior needs dealt with and it never appears that happens in any of the videos. I've never seen someone fall off as many times as she does. Heck half the time she could save herself and stay on and it is like she prefers falling.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r7ftr...wFicfP_6ZEVUqg

This video shows the damage to her head....You'd think that woud have knocked some sense into her.

I am editing this to say that I agree she is doing some dangerous riding. Never said she wasn't. But that is fairly typical for teenagers with horse. Sorry if the reader doesn't like it. It's a fact. Thankfully she has learned to wear her helmet even if she wasn't wearing one in the video.
    Um no. That is not what teenagers do. At least not any teenagers at any of the stables I have ever worked at, ran, or rode at in my life. Yes we rode bareback, heck we even jumped around xc bareback. When we had the proper balance to ride without our stirrups. On good ground. Not endangering our horses or us.

That girl needs to get riding lessons and not only learn how to ride, but also horsemanship. I wouldn't put up with her or her horse in my stable.

And the whole "she is doing what she loves" Well they can put that on her headstone at the rate she is going

18 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Hobbs View Post
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r7ftr...wFicfP_6ZEVUqg

This video shows the damage to her head....You'd think that woud have knocked some sense into her.
    Holy Mother of God. She is very very lucky.
    "Aye God, Woodrow..."

No, that isn't what "normal" teenagers do. To say so is pretty insulting to actual "normal" teenagers.

After watching some of her other videos, I'm pretty sure that wasn't her first kick in the head. Or her mother dropped her on her head. Does she even have parents? It doesn't look like it. I guess I'd accept that as an excuse for her incredibly dangerous behavior. She raised herself.

And Stacie, did you notice how often she is -not- wearing a helmet in those videos? I honestly, absolutely do not know any teenagers who don't wear a helmet. I guess I must know the only intelligent safety minded teenagers in the universe. But I doubt that is true.

17 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Couture TB View Post
    Um no. That is not what teenagers do. At least not any teenagers at any of the stables I have ever worked at, ran, or rode at in my life. Yes we rode bareback, heck we even jumped around xc bareback. When we had the proper balance to ride without our stirrups. On good ground. Not endangering our horses or us.

That girl needs to get riding lessons and not only learn how to ride, but also horsemanship. I wouldn't put up with her or her horse in my stable.

And the whole "she is doing what she loves" Well they can put that on her headstone at the rate she is going
    Exactly. And I don't know what's scarier: her attitude about it, or the attitude of most of the people posting.

Check this post she made in that video's comments:

The ground wasnt hard, I have said this several time's, yes there is snow on the ground but it was melting and there was no ice! And he never refused because of the ground either... He refused because I didnt give him enough of a run up. He had jumped several times before hand.

I made some bad choices as a teen, but I NEVER tried to stand on a horse's back, on top of a winter blanket, and encourage them to move off... Especially while bridle/halter-less. She has plenty of videos of her jumping sans helmet. Even as a teen, I wouldn't have jumped in snow. If it so much as rained, I took careful note of the footing before ever bringing my horse out to work (we only had an outdoor arena at our farm growing up). Had I done a tenth of the things she is doing in her videos, my horse would have been sold immediately. My kids (6 and 7) are well aware of the consequences of not taking seriously the fact that they are working with large animals who can easily hurt them. They know that helmets are expected any time they go to ride. They know that they have to learn the basics before they can do more advanced stuff, and not to ride above their level. They know that any crazy stunts are grounds for being removed from the barn immediately. If a six and seven year old can understand that, someone her age is more than capable.

In short:

Being a teenager is NOT in any way an excuse for being reckless to the degree that she's demonstrating in these videos. If you're mature enough to handle a horse, you are mature enough to understand basic safety. If you're not mature enough to handle basic safety, you have absolutely zero business handling a horse. End of story.

And don't even get me started on the parents in this case...

12 members found this post helpful.