The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

We had a nasty lesson horse in a barn I took lessons at when I was 12 or so. The horse was always threatening to kick when you tacked him up, but was a saint to ride and I'm pretty sure no one ever fell off of him because he was just one of those perfect ponies.

Anyway, I was leading him past my trainer who used to show the horse in his hay day before "retiring" him to lesson horse status. I was just walking down the center of the aisle and she was leaning up again the side of the wall and as we passed her he looked, aimed, and kicked her square in the stomach. He had never kicked a lesson kid even though he threatened during grooming. This woman could barely go near him without getting kicked. He hated her guts
    Southern Cross Guest Ranch
    An All Inclusive Guest Ranch Vacation - Georgia
    www.southcross.com
    RIP Bocephus March 2008 - April 2013

2 members found this post helpful.

I've come off more times than I'd like to count, and none of the horses have ever kicked at me. My mare would usually just stand there and look at me as if to say "why are you down there now?"

IMO, that horse knew exactly what it was doing and why.
    “Riding a horse is not a gentle hobby, to be picked up and laid down like a game of Solitaire. It is a grand passion.” ~Emerson

5 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by OveroHunter View Post

I was just walking down the center of the aisle and she was leaning up again the side of the wall and as we passed her he looked, aimed, and kicked her square in the stomach. He had never kicked a lesson kid even though he threatened during grooming. This woman could barely go near him without getting kicked. He hated her guts

a couple of barns ago, there was a lesson horse who would do that, under saddle. my instructor had crossed the circle of riders to secure the arena gate and her back was to the horses and he aimed a serious kick at her as he passed. (he was in front of me in the line.) i told her "yikes, he almost go you there." she was more wary of him after that. lovely to ride though.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Gravity works, and the laws of physics are a bitch.

Member: Rabid Garden Snail Clique

1 members found this post helpful.

Is it really the horses fault though considering the other videos? My initial reaction was horse lasagna but if she's been aggravating him to that point, I don't know that I can say the same. Animals have feelings too and they get annoyed and frustrated with morons just like we do. He might actually be a nice boy who has just been annoyed past his horsey logic.

What other videos?

Lots of videos here.
    http://www.youtube.com/user/LukeyLooandRosie

Pony is clearly fed up with the kid trick and antics and the rider doing things clearly above her level and hitting the dirt often, yanking pony in the mouth.

She taught him to rear and has him rearing on wet pavement and nearly going over backwards

4 members found this post helpful.

Also at reddeviland rosie. Whole lot of buffoonery going on.

Where the prairie ends and the mountains begin

Quote Originally Posted by ElisLove View Post
    To add to this discussion, has anyone ever been kicked after a fall? If so, what was your relationship with the horse? Did the horse exhibit any aggressive habits in any part of his life (ever kicked out during leading/grooming, ever bit, ect)? Did you think the kick was intentional? Had you ever fallen off the horse before where it did not kick out?
    I didn't have to fall off to get kicked in the head by a horse I was leasing when I was 15. I wasn't wearing a helmet and am lucky to be alive. I was turning him out to pasture... correctly as I knew he didn't have stellar ground manners... and I unhaltered him standing nicely and facing me at the gate. In an instant he spun around so fast and nailed me between my temple and my left eye.

I ended up with mild concussion, a CT scan and 3 stitches just over my left brow. My dad told me later, on the way to the ER, I kept saying, "Not in my face, don't let them put stitches in my face, Daddy."

I fully believe the kick was intentional. I've been kicked several times since, but only by green babies. Of course, I now have a healthy fear of a horse's back feet. Even 20 years later.

Poor girl. I don't think she had the best judgement in riding, but I also don't think she deserved a well aimed the kick to the head.
    Last edited by drmgncolor; Apr. 11, 2013 at 11:27 AM.
    Dreaming in Color

You guys are just jealous 'cause she's riding in hot pants! :0
    A friend told me I was delusional. I almost fell off my unicorn.

If those were the video-worthy parts, it makes me afraid to see what got left on the cutting room floor.

4 members found this post helpful.

Oh my. Those vids And she's even standing on the pony's back, why am I surprised.

Anybody remember the recent comment in the CA thead about a horse that tolerated all kinds of "desensitizing" and finally had enough? Waited for CA to turn his back and then took a chunk out of him.
    I had seen this on my Fb as well but for some reason without the video portion. I can't say the pony is junk. He's just not being encouraged to be a good citizen.
    Courageous Weenie Eventer Wannabe
    Incredible Invisible

Well, she does have brass balls, I will give her that.

*sigh*

No, she didn't deserve a kick in the head. However, with the way she was handling him one could see that coming. I wasn't as concerned about the riding (although the stirrups home were really bothering me) as I was about the things she was training/untraining him to do.

To answer the follow up question...

I haven't been kicked post-fall, ever, in fact most often the horses have tried desperately to avoid me and then you could tell they felt badly later (like my 4 year old greenie who was terrible to bridle but put his head down gently and let me take it off after he dumped me badly and ran back to his stall).

Quote Originally Posted by sophie View Post
    I knew a school horse like this. Gorgeous Selle Français, great bloodlines (Furioso II) great jumper, and NASTY even dangerous. This was a horse you just wanted to stay on. I've seen him countless times, bucking his riders off and trying to nail them afterward. He broke a few human bones that way.
    Well... his name was Furioso. Not the first, but the second. A nice warning sign, eh? How did a piece of work like that get assigned the schoolie job?
    The armchair saddler
    Politically Pro-Cat

3 members found this post helpful.

A friend of mine had a lovely mare, wonderful jumper and absolutely psycho evil horse. If you ever came off her at a jump, you were scrambling to get away from her feet and gnashing teeth. She finally had the mare killed, she was too risky to sell or allow to live. And, yep, she was on regumate and was finally spayed....just psycho horse.
    "Sic Gorgiamus Allos Subjectatos Nunc"

Quote Originally Posted by Long Spot View Post
    I think that horse knew exactly what he was kicking at. She wasn't out of his sight line.
    Quote Originally Posted by skydy View Post
    I tend to agree with Long Spot. That kick was intentional and not from fear...
    Horse needs some serious time having CTJ meetings on respect.

I got kicked in the ribs by my old BO's horse, and he and I had some serious discussions on.respect. BO was pissed about it, but if I'm the one endangering my life to clean her stalls for her, those horses will respect me.
    Quote Originally Posted by dizzywriter View Post
    My saddle fits perfectly well. It might be a little tight around the waist, but I take care of that with those spandex things.

Quote Originally Posted by ElisLove View Post
    To add to this discussion, has anyone ever been kicked after a fall? If so, what was your relationship with the horse? Did the horse exhibit any aggressive habits in any part of his life (ever kicked out during leading/grooming, ever bit, ect)? Did you think the kick was intentional? Had you ever fallen off the horse before where it did not kick out?
    Yes, I have been kicked at after a fall off from one of the horses I used to ride when I was a teen. I remember very clearly that he turned around to look at where my head was, aimed, and then kicked with both back legs. Thankfully for me, his feet stopped right in front of my face, but I remember very well that he had shoes on...and he would have definitely killed me if he had connected with me.

As for my relationship with this horse, I didn't like him...and he didn't like me. He was a school horse at my parents' farm, and resented it when he had to do anything more than up/down lessons for beginners. He was not aggressive otherwise, but not a loveydovey type either.
    Chase's Mom; RIP Dezi 1/99-2/09

Rosie Morton may not reach the age of 20 at this rate
    Nothing says "I love you" like a tractor. (Clydejumper)

The reports states, “Elizabeth reported that she accidently put down this pony, ........, at the show.”

7 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by mvp View Post
    Well... his name was Furioso. Not the first, but the second. A nice warning sign, eh? How did a piece of work like that get assigned the schoolie job?
    LOL! His name was actually Louveteau ( = Wolf Cub), Furioso II was in his papers, sire or grand sire, I forget.
    I grew up and learned to ride in France with rather strict (always male, some military) instructors and we had all kinds of "interesting" schoolies to learn on! What doesn't kill you....
    Ottbs - The finish line is only the beginning!

And someone was wondering why they were denied homeowner insurance on another thread? These folks shouldn't own horses and that horse should be sent to the sh.

Quote Originally Posted by SGray View Post
    Rosie Morton may not reach the age of 20 at this rate
    I watched one video and wondered too how she was still alive.
    One cannot think well, love well, sleep well, if one has not dined well. - Virginia Woolf