The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Default Intentional Kick to the Head?

Wow. Whiplash anyone? She's very lucky. Glad she was ok
    Horses aren't our whole life, but makes our life whole

I agree with the comment at the bottom of the page. Stupid of the rider to be jumping on icy ground bareback, but still... the horse aimed at her.

6 members found this post helpful.

We've (the royal COTH we) have had this discussion before over a similar video.

The consensus was: yes, the horse purposefully aimed at the fallen rider. HOWEVER, it wasn't in a "How dare you be such an awful owner, here's a kick!" way. It was in a "OMG I'm a pretty stupid flight animal and there is a cougar on the ground behind me that just fell off my back and I'm gonna kick it ADRENALINEEEE!!! RUNNNNN!"

18 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by GoForAGallop View Post
    We've (the royal COTH we) have had this discussion before over a similar video.

The consensus was: yes, the horse purposefully aimed at the fallen rider. HOWEVER, it wasn't in a "How dare you be such an awful owner, here's a kick!" way. It was in a "OMG I'm a pretty stupid flight animal and there is a cougar on the ground behind me that just fell off my back and I'm gonna kick it ADRENALINEEEE!!! RUNNNNN!"
    Doesn't matter. The vast majority of horses aren't THAT stupid (by a huge long shot), and any horse that'll nail you after you fall off is too dangerous to deal with imo.

27 members found this post helpful.

I think that horse knew exactly what he was kicking at. She wasn't out of his sight line.
    "Aye God, Woodrow..."

27 members found this post helpful.

I tend to agree with Long Spot. That kick was intentional and not from fear...

I've shown it to four totally non-horsey people. Even they all think the horse intentionally kicked her. He didn't just kick out as he ran away, he turned TO her and kicked her.

5 members found this post helpful.

To add to this discussion, has anyone ever been kicked after a fall? If so, what was your relationship with the horse? Did the horse exhibit any aggressive habits in any part of his life (ever kicked out during leading/grooming, ever bit, ect)? Did you think the kick was intentional? Had you ever fallen off the horse before where it did not kick out?
    I personally have fallen off several different horses in my riding time and have never been kicked or even stepped on. I have seen a horse appear to kick out once after a fall, but am not sure if it was actually kicking out or just was trying to free itself as the rider had ended up directly underneath the horse's back legs (horse bucked her off as horse was coming back into work after an injury and long stall rest period, horse was almost bucking while backing up and that's how rider ended up under the horse). He never connected but he was doing a kicking out motion.

--aaand this is why bike helmets are not ok for riding. Bikes don't kick you in the head after you fall off (deliberately or not. Or getting sideswiped by another horse in the arena when you're down). (We often have parents of new child riders grumbling about having to buy certified helmets; "But she has a bike helmet! Why can't she use that?")
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Gravity works, and the laws of physics are a bitch.

Member: Rabid Garden Snail Clique

4 members found this post helpful.

As to the OP's question... Not kicked or kicked at, but my current horse trampled me after I fell off. He was super-duper green. Only been ridden for a few months. I sneezed, he spooked and I fell off. He freaked at me falling off and spun in a circle on top of me before running to the gate. He is very careful now, and has even saved my butt a few times. Definitely not done with purpose.

That horse aimed for her and he meant it.
    Celtic Charisma (R.I.P) ~ http://flickr.com/photos/rockandracehorses/2387275281
    Proud owner of "The Intoxicated Moose!"
    "Hope is not an executable plan" ~ My Mom
    I love my Dublin-ator

Quote Originally Posted by ElisLove View Post
    To add to this discussion, has anyone ever been kicked after a fall? If so, what was your relationship with the horse? Did the horse exhibit any aggressive habits in any part of his life (ever kicked out during leading/grooming, ever bit, ect)? Did you think the kick was intentional? Had you ever fallen off the horse before where it did not kick out?
    To answer your question. No, I haven't been "aimed at" kicked after a fall. I have been stepped-on unintentionally and also had a horse make a supreme effort to avoid stepping on me. We feel like jelly fish, and you know how skeevy it feels to step on one of those.

I have been kicked and kicked at by horses. Just a few times in the many decades I have been around them. The ones that I count as "the f^cker meant to do it" were just two. Both were green, not mine, didn't know me well and had big egos. Both got the ol' Tasmanian Devil treatment from me right afterwards.

Green horse #1 didn't show aggressive habits, but also showed me that she had little respect for people or their space.

Green horse #2, more or less the same thing, but even as he has gotten more broke and gotten to know me better, this horse has continued to tell me, too, that he wanted me to know that he was my equal (dammit). He does things like put his ears back, look at me or swirl his head/swish his tail when I ask him for something. He'll do it, but he'll let you know that he doesn't think he should have to take orders. He is getting more compliant, he likes attention (because it makes him feel as special as he knows he is), and tries hard for me. But I don't turn my back on this horse.
    The armchair saddler
    Politically Pro-Cat

1 members found this post helpful.

Wow, ok THAT was intentional. He even pinned his ears back as he kicked. Bond my ass, that horse meant business
    OTTB CONNECT
    FB group for all things related to non racing Thoroughbreds.. Click here to join ~~~> OTTB CONNECT

10 members found this post helpful.

Intentional...he looked at her , aimed and kicked...it wasn't fear. Scary!! and she is darned lucky!!

If you watch the kids (18 years old) other videos on youtube you'll see a pony fed up with his owners dumb kid antics....

NAsty bastard! that was full on intentional. Those two have issues!
    Thank goodness she had that helmet on. Holy hell!
    "you can only ride the drama llama so hard before it decides to spit in your face." ?Caffeinated.

Link please?

Quote Originally Posted by Karosel View Post
    If you watch the kids (18 years old) other videos on youtube you'll see a pony fed up with his owners dumb kid antics....

2 members found this post helpful.

Yes, intentional and yes, some horses aim, just like in the video.

I knew a school horse like this. Gorgeous Selle Fran├žais, great bloodlines (Furioso II) great jumper, and NASTY even dangerous. This was a horse you just wanted to stay on. I've seen him countless times, bucking his riders off and trying to nail them afterward. He broke a few human bones that way.
    I've seen him get rid of his advanced rider (he had a HUGE, out-of-the-blue buck), and then stop, back up, look back, and kick at his rider who was unharmed and getting up. Result: arm broken in 2 places.
    He was known for it, and I've seen riders crawling under the fence with lightning speed after getting bucked off that horse. He never got me because somehow I always stayed on, sometimes hanging on for dear life, literally! but I hated being assigned to him during lessons!

I WAS kicked intentionally by my Tb mare, got a nice bruise on the thigh, but I was stupid: I ran up to her from behind. As goes the saying...Stupidity should hurt! (and it did, haha!)
    Ottbs - The finish line is only the beginning!

2 members found this post helpful.

That horse would not remain in my barn for one second.

17 members found this post helpful.

Mine either. Too many nice horses in the world to live with one that is intentional like that. Especially for a kid. And good lord, the liability of having one as a school horse? HAIL NO.

1 members found this post helpful.