The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Wow- Awesome Results with Chiro!

So I had posted last week bemoaning my horse's awful back. The vet was out yesterday and did a chiropractic adjustment on him.

My normally quiet gelding was a panicked mess trying to get away because he was so sore and stiff, but after a few adjustments to his major problem area, I saw his eyes soften, his head dropped, and he just heaved the biggest sigh of relief. After she adjusted his neck he kept swinging it from side to side as if he were saying, "Look, Mom! I can move my neck now!" The vet thought he had probably spent most of his life messed up and sore.

His movement has improved so much, and today he worked under saddle for the first time in four months! Now we just have to work on getting rid of that QH belly.

I'll post comparison photos and video tomorrow.

The moral of the story is if you're on the fence about getting your horse adjusted, let me say it was the best $100 (plus $75 farm call fee) I have spent on him.

6 members found this post helpful.

I have seen a couple of horses have that kind of reaction. My friend's horse almost went to sleep, droopy lip and heavy eyelids. It's nice when they let you know it feels better.

We use Dr. Redmond (Avoca Equine in Aiken) and we LOVE our chiro (and vet!). She's done wonders with my current ride who has a dropped hip. I think she adores him as much as he does her lol.

I'm a huge believer in regular adjustments, for both my horses and myself. I feel better getting done once a month. Sky is on a 6 week schedule, Bailey every 12 weeks. Once Sky gets to the point where he doesn't have a lot of soreness/tightness every 6 weeks, he'll get put on the 12 week plan as well.

The first time Sky was done, I watched her try to move his back before she adjusted him, and she couldn't. Twenty minutes later she could. The next day I felt his back actually swing for the first time, and he was able to come up through his withers and be truly UP in his back. I was amazed.

Also chiming in here....my guy plays pretty hard in turnout and likes to contort his body in ways that are not normal The chiro I use always fixes the places he is out and we go from about 80% power behind to 100%.

Do any of your chiros do muscle testing too?

Mine does. New horse is getting adjusted when he gets here and then going on an 8-week schedule-- shoes and adjustment!

I love my chiro...her farm call is so, so reasonable that it doesn't suck to have her out just for my horse, but so much the better if she can do more than 1. Her appointments are $100 and the farm call is $35.

I'm so glad to see this thread. I just had my OTTB adjusted for the first time last week. I was quite skeptical, but after alot of convincing from my friend and also my regular vet I agreed. My guy was an absolute mess. Very stressed, spooky, uneasy, pinning ears. He was out in several places and now I swear I have a different horse. I knew his naughty behavior was from pain and ulcers but it didn't completely go away after ulcer treatment. After his adjustment he is now the best horse. I'm a believer!

1 members found this post helpful.

I can see my horses from my living room and kitchen windows so I've been looking out a lot to check on my new youngster (just about 4 y.o.). I have seen him stretch like a cat: curled his head in, arched his neck and proceeded to arch his back and adjust on vertebrae at a time. It was amazing to watch but I wish I had my camera handy. I have never seen a horse do that!

I definitely agree that horses can benefit from the adjustments and wish I had a vet who could also do muscle testing.

Michelle

We have a terrific young woman in our area I know she also works in the USA, my mare relaxes just at the sight of her... she has not been adjusted this winter but we are starting on a regular schedule next week. My mare loves the neck streched she will just lean into that I think even the chiro finds that neat as my mare is so trusting and tender in that moment.
    What I find the most interesting as a horse owner is the general relaxed look on the horses stance and the breath of her movements specially in the back end.

It's so nice to read all these!

My mare had chiro and accupuncture on Friday. After the chiro portion, she was licking and chewing. Once she had all her needles in and hooked up to the electro-stimulation, she cocked a hind leg and went to sleep in the cross ties. She is 19 this year and we don't really compete except very low level stuff for the heck of it. On Saturday she was ready to roll, trotting so fast and long strided I could barely post. I laughed out loud at her.