The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default UPDATE: Polyglycan?

I am calling in the vet, of course, but just wanted to hear anyone else's experiences with OCD surgery that did not improve the horse or made it worse. Anything else that can be done? Or is it pretty much a lost cause at this point? Thanks!

EDIT: Talked to the sugeon and he wants to start with Polyglycan and surpass. I've never used Polyglycan before. Anyone have any opinions on it? I guess I am a little uncomfortable because it is not labeled for this type of use.
    Last edited by caryledee; Apr. 11, 2013 at 12:30 PM.

How long ago was the surgery and what does the surgeon think? It seems to be becoming almost standard practice up here to do prp or stem cells post OCD surgery.

Surgery was beginning of December. I have not talked to the surgeon...he started out looking terrific when I first put him back to work, but he has been going downhill and today he was definitely off with swelling in joint. I was told by several surgeons before hand that he would probably only return to lower level stuff but right now he is not even holding up to the lightest of workloads.

I think it's time for another eval from the surgeon to see how things look in there, or if he needs more healing time. Jingles for your boy.
    *CrowneDragon*
    As Peter, Paul, and Mary say, a dragon lives forever.

Thanks! I will be calling the surgeon today. But with breeding season going on, every good vet down here is swamped and non-emergencies take a while to get seen. I'd love to hear other stories...successes or failures so I know a little of what to expect.

Update first post.

Try a search. Polygycan was big for a while (and still is, but Pentosan has stole the show recently). It's good stuff and I just ordered a vial, however it doesn't show long terms results like Pentosan.

The problem is it sounds like your horse is lame-lame rather than just a bit stiff. None of the injectables will make a lame horse sound. You'll have to be more aggressive with intraarticular therapies. Hopefully, its just a post op flair up and with the appropriate treatment, the soundness can be returned.

Quote Originally Posted by caryledee View Post
    EDIT: Talked to the sugeon and he wants to start with Polyglycan and surpass. I've never used Polyglycan before. Anyone have any opinions on it? I guess I am a little uncomfortable because it is not labeled for this type of use.
    Call your vet & discuss why the Polygycan (vs alternates) - it may be that when used in conjunction with Surpass, it is the "common" (or most effective?) choice (there is always synergy of action to be considered).
    The Surpass will likely make your horse feel much more comfortable

You might find this an interesting read (2009 so data likely would be current to 2007/2008).

Hopefully it's just a recovery time issue & your boy feels better soon

Yes, he is lame lame and not just a little sore. The fluid in the joint is what is bothering me the most. It was a difficult surgery and surgeon did say to me yesterday that he may not have gotten everything out. The surgeon didn't want to do joint injections yet. I am going to call my regular vet today and see what she recommends. I would really prefer to go with Pentosan myself.

Thanks for the article!