The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 23 of 26 FirstFirst ... 132122232425 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by jenm View Post
    Believing they can make it happen and having the power to make it happen are not the same thing, Leo.

As I previously stated, for this to happen, laws would have to be made. I'll ask the same question of you that I asked Bluey: Do you really think our government would EVER pass laws banning animal ownership of any kind?

Seriously?!
    OH MY GOD YES~ They pass laws for everything else, That will just be a small thing. IT is about controlling people! not for the good of the animals, PETA is a political radical Organization.
    "you can only ride the drama llama so hard before it decides to spit in your face." ?Caffeinated.

1 members found this post helpful.

I guess ALL fertilizer plants and ironically this one in the Waco Texas (there is that state again) will immediately be shut down. All across the U.S. This plant had been investigated in the past and there is a suspicion they were NOT keeping everything up to snuff

The number who perished is unknown however we are hearing numbers such as 15-30

This is terrible and should be investigated and if it is the fault of the management and plant operators they should be tried and found guilty.

About those slaughter plants...I don't ever remember ANY PERSON EVER DYING

I am sure the sisterhood rara group is going to go after the fertilizer business...didn't that also produce the Timmy bombs for Oklahoma?

No one has died of consuming horse meat...if they ever had we would ALL know about it.

Isn't there a concern that fertilizer contaminates water (ground water and run off?)

Without fertilizer which is PROVEN to have negative effects...not just banned because it might..U.S. would be a major importer of food.

The risk, which is minimal must be weighed against the good...food in this case.

Please direct me to your new forum where you will attack the fertilizer industry I am not familar with them

Too many posters falling off the crazy truck for me.
    "We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals." ~Immanuel Kant

4 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by luvmytbs View Post
    I guess yesterday's glitch ate my post?

A just published FOIA request for those who keep complaining:

http://www.equinewelfarealliance.org..._Meat_FOIA.pdf
     Page 875-905 7.0MB reports & photos, APHIS fact sheet & case reports
    with photos
    The photos of those piles... even I hadn't imagined them that bad.

Well, this just in: USDA shut down a California based cattle slaughter house due to animal abuse. But NOT until after an undercover investigation was brought to their attention. Funny thing (according to the video) the USDA was on site when the abuse happened.

http://videos.huffingtonpost.com/in-...ions-517453955

\"Horses lend us the wings we lack\"

Quote Originally Posted by Angela Freda View Post
    It's a lot of pages to go through, and not everyone (including myself) has the time.
    However, on one of them the inspector for the FSIS told DeLoSantos (or whatever his name is) that he needed to have the "kill box" enlarged.
    He painted the inside walls white, giving it a bigger appearance.
    Apparently he thought that would do it.
    LMAO, he got busted.

And some good news on the AG Gag front:

http://www.latimes.com/news/opinion/...,4031438.story

California 'ag-gag bill' is gagged and gone

The so-called ag-gag bill winding its way through the California Assembly has been pulled by its author, Jim Patterson, a Republican from Fresno. Smart move.

The bill, AB 343, would have required anyone who videotapes, photographs or records incidents of animal cruelty to turn over the evidence to authorities within 48 hours or be charged with an infraction of the law.

Patterson said the bill, which was sponsored by the California Cattlemen's Assn., a nonprofit trade group representing ranchers and beef producers, was an attempt to bring abuse to light as soon as possible.

But what dozens of animal welfare groups, as well as this paper’s editorial board, argued was that the bill would have done little more than keep abuse in the dark.

Seeing and recording one act of abuse generally doesn’t get it stopped if there isn't a pattern of abuse in a facility.
    That can take weeks to document, and it’s a pattern of abuse that makes for a good case for a prosecutor.

About the only good thing you could say about this ag-gag measure is that it wasn’t as bad as other bills introduced in legislatures across the country.
    Some outlawed videotaping altogether at animal facilities.

The bill was also opposed by the California Newspaper Publishers Assn., which contended that it would have violated the rights of journalists who obtained tapes and recordings made at animal facilities.

Patterson told me when I talked to him last month about his bill that he does care deeply about rooting out animal abuse at slaughterhouses, and that the California Cattlemen’s Assn. does as well.

Now that this ill-advised bill is out of the way, Patterson might consider creating other measures that would focus on protecting animals from cruel treatment instead of laws that hamstring people gathering evidence of the cruel treatment.

Quote Originally Posted by D_BaldStockings View Post
    Fur-feet?

So you keep Hobbits or perhaps primates?? I do hope you have a permit for that, because unlike 40 or so years ago, you will need one!

My horses have hooves, the rest paws...

It is a cute name, however inaccurate.
    Fur-footed friends are our pets, and two-footers, I would assume, are the human home dwellers. Maybe they could be birds, too, since they have two feet that are not generally furry, and are kept in the home......
    These cutsie little terms of endearment were gleaned from our resident, albeit currently MIA, ever so cordial fellow poster, 7arabians own personal web site.
    Well worth the price of admission, that gal is, bwahahaha Also a proud, and, will forever have your back until called out on the truth dear good buddy to our oh so gentlemanly like, bloviating(thx, L, for the opportunity to use a new word in a sentence) fellow poster, Fairfax, AKA Alberta yahoo still living in 1970 somethings, entourage.
    Consider the source, my friends, consider the source, the discussion goes both ways.
    "My doctrine is this, that if we see cruelty or wrong that we have the power to stop, and do nothing, we make ourselves sharers in the guilt.”
    ― Anna Sewell

What I find curious is that all these pages for animal rights extremist, that have never been to a slaughter plant or know anything about how business are run, or supposedly don't work for those animal rights extremist groups, to keep telling Fairfax, that has been there, done that all, that he is wrong.
    They keep bringing up animal rights extremist produced propaganda and, even after the right context for that has been explained time and again and it is not what that propaganda is trying to make it be, they keep bringing it up.

Very curious and absurd that they keep it up and up and up and ...

As for who brought up that when animal rights extremist finally disturb all we do with animals to make impossible to continue, when we don't raise any more horses or any other domestic animal, we can then say, "we told you so"?

We already can do that, as happened as predicted when the plants closed, just as we had said it would, the horses then going to Canada and Mexico.

I consider antis basically less than honest, because not one has yet admitted that, by them following the animal rights extremist drive to ban slaughter, that closed the plants in the USA, they caused tremendous disruption to the horse industry and didn't help any horses.
    In fact, made getting them moved harder on them.
    I am sad to have to say, we told you so, very sad and will be even more so if I have to say, when we finally only see horses in zoos, if we even have zoos, have to again say, "we told you so".

Quote Originally Posted by Angela Freda View Post
    Have just skimmed some of the pages, but the article about Bouvry was interesting.

However, if the New Mexico place has already run up a huge list of violations, why would one expect anything different from him?

Well, this just in: USDA shut down a California based cattle slaughter house due to animal abuse. But NOT until after an undercover investigation was brought to their attention. Funny thing (according to the video) the USDA was on site when the abuse happened.

http://videos.huffingtonpost.com/in-...ions-517453955
    Good. They got busted..will have to follow the case and see if it is legit. Huffington Post is not very reliable

Quote Originally Posted by betonbill View Post
    Have just skimmed some of the pages, but the article about Bouvry was interesting.

However, if the New Mexico place has already run up a huge list of violations, why would one expect anything different from him?
    And what year is this from?

It's a lot of pages to go through, and not everyone (including myself) has the time.
    However, on one of them the inspector for the FSIS told DeLoSantos (or whatever his name is) that he needed to have the "kill box" enlarged.
    He painted the inside walls white, giving it a bigger appearance.
    Apparently he thought that would do it.
    LMAO, he got busted.
    What year is this and did they charge him to verify the alleged and make it fact?

I an enjoying reading Freedom of access that was ordered by someone else...and selectively given to our posters.

Am I the only one who is watching as they turn this from Equine slaughter to ALL SLAUGHTER.

THAT IS the agenda folks.

If they can get equine under their belt the figure Vegan and no more slaughter can't be far behind.

Oh they will deny deny deny and hold hands in a circle and attack those horrible pro slaughter pro livestock posters...but they have NOt commented on the fertilizer plants and also the damage done by them. I bet their pension funds have fertilizer plants paying into them.

All of their information is old old old. That is why I had to chuckle when Angela said Bentwood rescue was not relevant because it was old. Only reason it wasn't relevant is her mentors at HSUS SUPPORTED slaughter for horses then. They don't want that to be brought up.

There is still money to be made on a large scale for HSUS and its groups.

As for me..I already know what can be done. I know how these women will use school yard pile on tactics trying to bring the industry down...but it will continue..and they will not be able to block the transportation of horses to Canada and Mexico.I was speaking this evening with a retired Canadian Politician and he told me flat out. Doesn't matter WHAT the states say or mandate. They are out trumped and as the total trade between US and Canada is the largest in the GDP...from 1 to 5 BILLION DOLLARS PER DAY...they will not ever jeopardize that.

There are many states and many companies clamoring to have an equine slaughter plant so if it isn't Texas that is just fine. Wyoming and Montana have stated they could handle up to FIVE plants each...now whether or not they do it...I don't know.

So we can just let these school yard pile own women continue... they can cry and catterwahl as much as they want. IF it is blocked..taxes will go up..horse onwnership will be reduced as it was...to the rich..and all the posters who pretend they own horses can post pretty pictures of their favourites for their next horse show.

2 members found this post helpful.

See, Fairfax, there you go and lose all credibility with me. The Bouvry article, as I said, was interesting and gave another side to the issue. I was relieved to read that they have (according to CB) a 1% miss rate.

But you really make it hard for anyone to take you seriously when you are ranting and raving as above.

3 members found this post helpful.

Question for Fairfax:

You seem to be constantly harping on the UC Davis Standards of Care, and I'm wondering why.

I saw a post that mentioned the continuous availability of water, and how that could be misinterpreted (I believe that was the issue). But I have skimmed the publication in the past, and doesn't it seem apparent that it is referring to the home/living situation of the horse, and not a horse that is out on a trail ride, being used for a lesson, etc? And even if it is poorly stated, and someone tried to take action against an owner for not having water available for a trail ride or something, don't you think that would get thrown out if it went to court?

Don't you think that the publication was probably honestly intended to assist AC in evaluating horse care? Lots of AC officers are unfamiliar with horses. I just can't believe that this publication is harmful as you believe it is. It is SO hard to get AC to assist in neglect cases, this seems like a tool to assist them. I don't have any issues with a set minimum standard of care. Without "guidelines" there is no baseline by which to judge neglect or abuse.

I'm just genuinely curious why you seem so against these recommendations?

3 members found this post helpful.

Mommy,
    We have seen multiple cases where 'wind knots' and 'horses had not been brushed in 24 hours' as the primary reason to seize entire herds. If you think that is right, you should be stripped of any of your pretend ponies immediately!!! These reasons were gleaned from Davis, and uninformed/''up for election' judges go with it!

Well the cattle thing, That cow looked like a downer, and I thought downers were not supposed to be slaughtered, sign of sickness.
    I have seen far worse videos with them using a fork lift trying to move cattle.

The pics of the piles of carcasses? What carcasses, looks like dirt and debris, and generally old stuff. What is the point?
    Oh, I know pointless to ask.
    "you can only ride the drama llama so hard before it decides to spit in your face." ?Caffeinated.

Quote Originally Posted by Fairfax View Post
    And what year is this from?
    The years are plainly posted in each document and article. 2012 in most.

Quote Originally Posted by Sannois View Post
    Well the cattle thing, That cow looked like a downer, and I thought downers were not supposed to be slaughtered, sign of sickness.
    I have seen far worse videos with them using a fork lift trying to move cattle.

The pics of the piles of carcasses? What carcasses, looks like dirt and debris, and generally old stuff. What is the point?
    Oh, I know pointless to ask.
    I don't know which pictures you were looking at but the piles of debris I saw were littered with bones and partial carcasses. Totally unacceptable always.