The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 13 of 26 FirstFirst ... 3111213141523 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Sannois View Post
    Well Aparently things are crashing and burning again, if it is so over her head why do you not clarify.
    What video of a Kill chute, There are so many, what are you referring to in an above post.
    The New Mexico plant, you know the one we've been discussing all afternoon. That suddenly for some reason no one knows anything about even though it's been posted on here before, it's been in the news. The idiot that shot horse out of spite contracts for them. The one that clearly is a cattle chute and kill box. The USA's first plant since the shut down. Ready to rock and roll. That plant. Not TX, not Canada, not Mexico, not IL but Roswell, New Mexico.

4 members found this post helpful.

You are welcome for the smile - however tongue in cheek you meant it.

Yes you are posting links as to what is becoming NOT available.

What industry really isn't in trouble right now?? Ok besides politics.

Why are there thousands of unwanted horses in feed lots?? Why are they not being processed?? Are they being held in the hopes that a plant in the US is going to open?? Or for the quarantine issues??

Since the plants in the US closed, have we really learned anything from the mistakes made?? Judging from the New Mexico incident, you really have to wonder.

What did we used to do in the old old days?? Before the pink juice???

Quote Originally Posted by Fairfax View Post
    Thank you for bringing a smile to my face on this cold wintery day.

I say. almost every other post..slaughter is only ONE piece of the puzzle.

I have pointed out that the USDA is saying NO to rendering and I posted their paper and their link.

I have posted information and links to water conservation groups demanding NO buried carcass.

I have posted that incineration "appears" to be the only non contaminant solution the USDA has discovered.

I have stated I support euthanization clinics. I support rescues (but definitely not all) and I have also stated rescues are now in trouble in many parts of the country.

I helped with a hay emergency bank for 3 years and involved myself with a lady in Scottsdale to come up with unique solutions to save "useful" meaning 2 years and up to ?? but not dangerous Saddlebreds...get them trained and into new homes.

There are thousands of unwanted horses in the feed lots right now...in Canada and the U.S.A. I have heard that 7 or 8 lots that can handle from 3-6 THOUSAND horses EACH have no room in the inn.

HSUS AND USDA give the numbers of horses excess at 100,000

We have had numerous examples from individuals who have attended sales and no one (meaning a fresh face new owner bids)

Since there is a demand for horse meat AND PRODUCTS from the rest of the horse and there are so many ground issues it IS one piece of the puzzle. When there is no need, there will be no slaughter plants

1 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by JGHIRETIRE View Post
    You are welcome for the smile - however tongue in cheek you meant it.

Yes you are posting links as to what is becoming NOT available.

What industry really isn't in trouble right now?? Ok besides politics.

Why are there thousands of unwanted horses in feed lots?? Why are they not being processed?? Are they being held in the hopes that a plant in the US is going to open?? Or for the quarantine issues??

Since the plants in the US closed, have we really learned anything from the mistakes made?? Judging from the New Mexico incident, you really have to wonder.

What did we used to do in the old old days?? Before the pink juice???
    Until recently, most horses went to a horse sale or directly to slaughter.
    Believe it or not, until about 1970's, there was plenty of horse meat consumed in the USA, always has been.
    Cheap, abundant and very good grain fed chickens, pork and beef displaced practically all other meats, lamb, goat, rabbit and horse, these past decades, as grain crops became larger and easier to transport.

I bet you didn't read the comments.

Here is an article from yesterday.
    Thoughts?
    http://trib.com/news/state-and-regio...ment_form=true

3 members found this post helpful.

I bet you didn't read the comments.
    I don't think sannois is aware that Sue Wallis has her own thread here on COTH.

\"Horses lend us the wings we lack\"

2 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by luvmytbs View Post
    Yes I read the Comments.
    I asked what you thought.. Oh never mind.
    I am going to say it Bluey, I have finally reached the end of my rope.
    This is a lost cause, so here goes.
    NEVER try to teach a pig to sing! It wastes your time and annoys the pig.

And before you go all off the handle it is an expression, not calling people people pigs. just that is is an exercise in futility, like this topic!
    Good luck!
    "you can only ride the drama llama so hard before it decides to spit in your face." ?Caffeinated.

Yes I read the Comments.

And before you go all off the handle it is an expression, not calling people people pigs. just that is is an exercise in futility, like this topic!
    Good luck!
    Some poster had that in their signature, don't remember who it was.

Quote Originally Posted by 7arabians View Post
    Fines owed by an SH in Texas which cannot operate in Texas is irrelevant to New Mexico. Once again, you're playing a shell game. Valley Meats meets Temple Grandin's standards for humane horse slaughter. That captive bolt gun looked perfect!
    The idea of any of the horses I have known and loved ending their lives with a crowded trip to an abattoir to get a captive bolt to the head and be slaughtered makes me want to cry. Does this make me a devoted horse owner, or a RARA?

6 members found this post helpful.

Yes I read the Comments.

Good luck!
    so you finally got tired of playing chess with the pigeons in the park!
    Quote Originally Posted by Mozart View Post
    Personally, I think the moderate use of shock collars in training humans should be allowed.

Quote Originally Posted by twelvebelles View Post
    The idea of any of the horses I have known and loved ending their lives with a crowded trip to an abattoir to get a captive bolt to the head and be slaughtered makes me want to cry. Does this make me a devoted horse owner, or a RARA?

Well, let me see:
    What actions do you intend to implement?

See: You are well within your rights to end the lives of your horses as you see fit.
    If you don't see it fit for them to go to slaughter, regardless of the ride to the place, that is your prerogative.

Now, do you think your neighbor should not send his horses away, because you feel like crying about it?

The first makes you a sentimental fool. Which isn't bad, we all do have our moments. I cried when my fish died, and my kid's mice....

The latter would move you toward the radical fringe.

But considering who you quoted when you asked the question.....

welcome newbie to the insanity of the slaughter threads.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mozart View Post
    Personally, I think the moderate use of shock collars in training humans should be allowed.

Here is an article from yesterday.
    Thoughts?
    http://trib.com/news/state-and-regio...ment_form=true
    You might do your research on Sue wallis... She is not known for her truthfulness, and has a direct conflict of interest on whether horse slaughter is allowed in the US.

3 members found this post helpful.

I did read the article - I also read the comments underneath. I don't remember reading even one that was complimentary to Ms. Wallis.

Quote Originally Posted by luvmytbs View Post

I think having horse meat in the super market ended before the 70's. I vaguely remember it in the store when I was very young. (Not to date myself or anything......)
    So there was an economic reason why we stopped eating horse. I'm curious how it happened.
    So much has changed since then - I would imagine we didn't have the drug issues with it that we do now either.

Quote Originally Posted by Bluey View Post
    Until recently, most horses went to a horse sale or directly to slaughter.
    Believe it or not, until about 1970's, there was plenty of horse meat consumed in the USA, always has been.
    Cheap, abundant and very good grain fed chickens, pork and beef displaced practically all other meats, lamb, goat, rabbit and horse, these past decades, as grain crops became larger and easier to transport.

Quote Originally Posted by sunridge1 View Post
    So the other doctors murder people and this guy just stays? Or he is surrounded by people that murder? Either way, how is this even a comparison? You're really reaching here.
    Google Dr. James Orbinski

During the uprising he stood firm and protected, at the clinic in Rwanda those who could not fend for themselves.

It is very relevant. He did what had to be done. He treated people.

I pointed this out to the comment that it did not matter what was happening NOW as this person had a memory of past abuse with slaughter that was forever going to taint her outlook.

She is passionate about horses

All I hear from Mary and others are comments that border on making one question her ability to comprehend the written word.

Then..all I had to do was remember...Sunridge is Mary from Trot...Always negative and always JUST HAD THAT EXPERIENCE and always on top of the gang pile in the school yard.

The fact she has no knowledge obviously of Rwanda and the genocide and it was only twenty years ago BUT NOT in the U.S.A. gives me a greater insight as to her posts and her "just missing the point"

Look at how she states..so the other doctors murder people...no where did I state other doctors murdered anyone...and that is why I now understand why she is able to comprehend any change in the slaughter industry or in the equine industry

One less to worry about...

I think having horse meat in the super market ended before the 70's. I vaguely remember it in the store when I was very young. (Not to date myself or anything......)
    So there was an economic reason why we stopped eating horse. I'm curious how it happened.
    So much has changed since then - I would imagine we didn't have the drug issues with it that we do now either.
    Yes, so much has changed, mainly non-profit organizations have found their golden goose in polarization and disrupting and dysfunction as a great tool for their fund raising, in plain words, their "causes of the moment", that have given them a home run of riches beyond measure, millions a year in donations, from the smallest kid sending it's weekly allowance to "save the kitten in the envelope picture" to the older lady that leaves her money to the good "humane" people that "help" animals.

That is part of why our society, to the amazement of the rest of the world, has been waging a war against our uses of animals, remember, polarizating, as here and finding dysfunction any place and using that for their propaganda as if it was normal function, see how long we have been trying to explain here "it ain't quite so".

Yes, the world is changing and, unless we become a little more proactive and learn to see who is behind some of what we are told, we will eventually have some rude awakening, if the changes end up leaving us without horses to use.

Remember, "one generation and none too soon for me" was at one time a standard phrase to rally the troops, until it was questioned and not so PC any more, but it is still very much the sentiment behind all animal rights extremists are working for as long range plans.

Brave new world, hope you land softly in what is to come.

4 members found this post helpful.

Yes I know they do have the cute factor going for them.

It's scary to realize how little so many of these people actually know much of anything about animals let alone hores in particular.

it's very disheartening to see just how many scams there are to part people from their money.
    It's not just animals and they are very good at it.
    Remember there's always a new cause of the day. I hope tomorrow it's someone or something other than Honey Boo Boo or the Kardashian's.

May you land softly as well.

Yes, so much has changed, mainly non-profit organizations have found their golden goose in polarization and disrupting and dysfunction as a great tool for their fund raising, in plain words, their "causes of the moment", that have given them a home run of riches beyond measure, millions a year in donations, from the smallest kid sending it's weekly allowance to "save the kitten in the envelope picture" to the older lady that leaves her money to the good "humane" people that "help" animals.

That is part of why our society, to the amazement of the rest of the world, has been waging a war against our uses of animals, remember, polarizating, as here and finding dysfunction any place and using that for their propaganda as if it was normal function, see how long we have been trying to explain here "it ain't quite so".

Yes, the world is changing and, unless we become a little more proactive and learn to see who is behind some of what we are told, we will eventually have some rude awakening, if the changes end up leaving us without horses to use.

Remember, "one generation and none too soon for me" was at one time a standard phrase to rally the troops, until it was questioned and not so PC any more, but it is still very much the sentiment behind all animal rights extremists are working for as long range plans.

Brave new world, hope you land softly in what is to come.

1 members found this post helpful.

What Sannois and Bluey, et al fail to realize is not that we don't understand what their posts are saying, it's that we do not believe it is true or will happen. I know there are RARA's that want to see animal ownership end. But I think that believing that banning commercial horse slaughter is supporting that belief, is a paranoid delusion. Kind of like the people that believe if we allow gay marriage, that people are suddenly going to soon be able to marry their horse or dog. Or that the family unit will suddenly fall apart. Where you guys think that we are failing to understand the slippery slope argument, we are understanding what you are saying, just fine. We just disagree with your premise.

You fail to understand that one can support banning commercial horse slaughter, yet not be RARA's that want to end animal ownership.

You seem to think that we have a problem with a horse being killed and eaten. For the most part, most of us don't. It's the whole horse slaughter industry and process we have a problem with. It is rife with fraud, deception, lack of vet care in the pipeline, lack of concern for the horse's well being from auction, transport, feedlot and SH. The drug issue is the icing on the cake. Cattle can be tracked all the way back to their birth if a problem arises. Horses cannot, and in fact, the KB's are known to intentionally commit fraud to avoid anyone knowing the background of the horse and what drugs it was given.

The fact that those in the slaughter industry still have hundreds of thousands of dollars in unpaid fines, and there is no enforcement to make them pay, and no suspension of their operations until they do is another issue. The SH owners have repeatedly lied about their intentions to comply with EPA regs, wastewater treatment, etc.

The inspectors (Canadian) have been kicked out of SH's in Canada when there was a dispute, and all kinds of violations occurred, and have sent memos telling their workers to overlook contamination issues. I seriously doubt their honesty and integrity, especially if it was just concerning the humane handling of a "slaughter horse". In the US when we had slaughter here, there were USDA vets that testified before Congress that they were told by higher ups NOT to report Humane handling violations, and NOT to stop the kill line for egregious humane handling violations. I see nothing to make me believe that culture has changed.

Natural Valley in Roswell has a past (recent) of Humane violations, and EPA violations. I've seen nothing to indicate that won't happen again.

So, it's not that we don't "understand" your posts...we just don't believe the slippery slope argument, and can't support an industry with the history that Horse slaughter has.

9 members found this post helpful.

Some poster had that in their signature, don't remember who it was.
    IT WAS ME!! I took it off years ago because no one got it.
    "you can only ride the drama llama so hard before it decides to spit in your face." ?Caffeinated.

Quote Originally Posted by Alagirl View Post
    so you finally got tired of playing chess with the pigeons in the park!
    Yup! Most certainly!

What Sannois and Bluey, et al fail to realize is not that we don't understand what their posts are saying, it's that we do not believe it is true or will happen. I know there are RARA's that want to see animal ownership end. But I think that believing that banning commercial horse slaughter is supporting that belief, is a paranoid delusion. Kind of like the people that believe if we allow gay marriage, that people are suddenly going to soon be able to marry their horse or dog. Or that the family unit will suddenly fall apart. Where you guys think that we are failing to understand the slippery slope argument, we are understanding what you are saying, just fine. We just disagree with your premise.
    Well then there is nothing that can be accomplished by having this bantering back and forth. As Bluey stated change is coming, And not for the good.
    I hope you land softly as well.