The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 26 12311 ... LastLast

Default ATTN: PA Voters-Rep. Pat Meehan Letter on horse slaughter

OK....so what RARA got to this guy?

Just received a letter, paid for by taxpayers, where he is introducing bill to reinstate ban on horse slaughter.

Am contemplating reply, but thought to give a heads up.
    Do not confuse motion and progress. A rocking horse keeps moving but does not make any progress.
    Alfred A. Montapert

1 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by pluvinel View Post

Just received a letter, paid for by taxpayers, where he is introducing bill to reinstate ban on horse slaughter.
    And who do you think would be paying for the USDA inspections at the plants?

\"Horses lend us the wings we lack\"

5 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by luvmytbs View Post
    And who do you think would be paying for the inspections?
    I guess I'm not big on the franking privilege.....regardless of the topic
    Do not confuse motion and progress. A rocking horse keeps moving but does not make any progress.
    Alfred A. Montapert

What's your point?
    Proud owner of a Slaughter-Bound TB from a feedlot, and her surprise baby...!
    http://i42.photobucket.com/albums/e350/Jen4USC/fave.jpg
    http://i42.photobucket.com/albums/e3...SC/running.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by jenm View Post
    What's your point?
    Just making a PSA in case anyone is interested in the topic.

Why?
    Alfred A. Montapert

Good for him, I hope its sucessful. Seems they are finally using our tax dollars for something useful.

10 members found this post helpful.

I'm sure you will find this difficult to believe, but most people don't need a RARA to convince them to push for a ban on using federal funds for inspection.

U.S. Rep Pat Meehan, R-7, of Upper Darby, is calling on federal officials to enact legislation that will help stop needless horse slaughter, following news that a veteran Chester County horse trainer sold racehorses to a slaughterhouse after promising their former owners to keep them alive in new homes.

Maybe he wants to put an end to the lies and deceit that seem to go hand and hand with horse slaughter.

“This is a tragic example of why we need federal law to prohibit the transportation and sale of horses for slaughter in the first place,” said Meehan, who represents much of Delaware County and parts of Chester County. “Horses are not raised for human consumption, and their slaughter for sale overseas is a cruel and inhumane practice that is not consistent with our values here in Pennsylvania.

Apparently your values are not consistent with his.
    Proud owner of a Slaughter-Bound TB from a feedlot, and her surprise baby...!
    http://i42.photobucket.com/albums/e350/Jen4USC/fave.jpg
    http://i42.photobucket.com/albums/e3...SC/running.jpg

14 members found this post helpful.

Be careful what you wish for.....the letter states horses "are companion animals, like dogs or cats."

When horses are no longer considered livestock is a slippery slope.
    Alfred A. Montapert

8 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by pluvinel View Post
    Be careful what you wish for.....the letter states horses "are companion animals, like dogs or cats."

When horses are no longer considered livestock is a slippery slope.
    That is what animal rights extremists are after, no surprise that is what they work for and defend, here, on a horse web site from all places.

Do let that fellow know there is other out there than animal rights extremists activists and their $ and why designating horses other than the customary livestock is a very-bad-idea.

2 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by jenm View Post
    I'm sure you will find this difficult to believe, but most people don't need a RARA to convince them to push for a ban on using federal funds for inspection.

U.S. Rep Pat Meehan, R-7, of Upper Darby, is calling on federal officials to enact legislation that will help stop needless horse slaughter, following news that a veteran Chester County horse trainer sold racehorses to a slaughterhouse after promising their former owners to keep them alive in new homes.

Maybe he wants to put an end to the lies and deceit that seem to go hand and hand with horse slaughter.

“This is a tragic example of why we need federal law to prohibit the transportation and sale of horses for slaughter in the first place,” said Meehan, who represents much of Delaware County and parts of Chester County. “Horses are not raised for human consumption, and their slaughter for sale overseas is a cruel and inhumane practice that is not consistent with our values here in Pennsylvania.

Apparently your values are not consistent with his.
    Utopia crashed and burned. I noticed you had nary a words to state when the horses were seized, starving and some dead...in that wonderful field YOU presented as THE solution to slaughter.

Please share those journalistic profound thoughts with us.

Your values don't have a solution.

Wait until the tax payer gets wind of tens of millions of dollars that could have gone to education or trade training...up in smoke...but then you are dumb like a fox...that IS what you want as the tax payer will demand ban and TAX TAX TAX...therefore no one except those horrible idle rich will be able to own a horse...THAT IS your objective isn't it? Must be as you have no solution other than tax and ban

Quote Originally Posted by Fairfax View Post
    Utopia crashed and burned. I noticed you had nary a words to state when the horses were seized, starving and some dead...in that wonderful field YOU presented as THE solution to slaughter.

Please share those journalistic profound thoughts with us.

Your values don't have a solution.

Wait until the tax payer gets wind of tens of millions of dollars that could have gone to education or trade training...up in smoke...but then you are dumb like a fox...that IS what you want as the tax payer will demand ban and TAX TAX TAX...therefore no one except those horrible idle rich will be able to own a horse...THAT IS your objective isn't it? Must be as you have no solution other than tax and ban
    Please!
    Leave the foxes out of this!
    Quote Originally Posted by Mozart View Post
    Personally, I think the moderate use of shock collars in training humans should be allowed.

Thanks for letting me know. I'm write a letter telling him I support this Though I'm not Republican (or in his congressional district), I got to know Meehan a bit when he was U.S. Attorney and thought he did a great job.

No RARA got to him. Believe it or not, most of his constituency in the "horse rich" suburbs of Philadelphia does not support horse slaughter

Edited to add: My horses are "like dogs and cats," not like livestock. If that makes me a RARA, so be it.

11 members found this post helpful.

E-mail to Congressman Meehan sent

3 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Discobold View Post
    Thanks for letting me know. I'm write a letter telling him I support this Though I'm not Republican (or in his congressional district), I got to know Meehan a bit when he was U.S. Attorney and thought he did a great job.

No RARA got to him. Believe it or not, most of his constituency in the "horse rich" suburbs of Philadelphia does not support horse slaughter

Edited to add: My horses are "like dogs and cats," not like livestock. If that makes me a RARA, so be it.
    I live in Delaware County PA. I can only speak for my personal friends, and we do not support the inhumane process of slaughtering horses. We are not for banning slaughter.

We grew up with fox hunting clubs, and riding stables all over the place here. This is not an area full of animal rights extremists. I highly doubt any "RARA" got to him. He's just trying to get involved in the horse heritage of this area. Perhaps incorrectly, but if he is interested, he will learn.

Do you realize that if animal rights extremists get the law changed for animals, here horses, as companions and humans their guardians, as they tried to do in Colorado two years ago, anyone can then sue you in the name of your pet if they don't think you are caring for it properly?

Yes, silly you think, but that is called nuisance suits, can be a neighbor you made mad or who knows, some extremist that think no one should have animals, but legally, you open a veritable can of worms if that passes.

Remember, the HSUS put all on notice that 20013 was going to be the year they would put out one abuse video out a month and have a big drive to lobby for all kinds of laws.
    Guess they have to put those 50 lawyers working for them to some use and for those, that is job security.

Those that complain about where their taxes go, think about where your donations to certain already immensely rich non-profits go, to fight just what you are so fond of, the rights to having animals to care for and enjoy in all you do with them, here horses.

I hope that, once everyone realizes what animal rights extremist groups are after, no more excusing that when their paws are seen in any and everything without their gloves on, the public eyes will finally be open.
    You can buy the media only so long, eventually someone will start catching on.

2 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Dispatcher View Post
    I live in Delaware County PA. I can only speak for my personal friends, and we do not support the inhumane process of slaughtering horses. We are not for banning slaughter.
    You should let him know how you feel. I am all for the democratic process. I am sure there are people with many different viewpoints in Delaware and Chester County and perhaps I shouldn't have speculated about how "most" feel. I also can only speak for my family and friends. But Congressman Meehan is not politically naive.

You should let him know how you feel. I am all for the democratic process. I am sure there are people with many different viewpoints in Delaware and Chester County and perhaps I shouldn't have speculated about how "most" feel. I also can only speak for my family and friends.
    Agreed--many viewpoints!

Default Keep an eye on this - it could go bad even if you DO approve of the thought

In NJ last Sept,
    Gov. Chris Christie signed a bill on Friday that bans horse slaughter in New Jersey (A-2023).
    The bill, which passed the state Senate and Assembly, prohibits the in-state slaughter of horses, transportation of horses to slaughter and the sale of horse meat for human consumption.
    “This bi-partisan measure is a nod to our decency and respect for horses in our state, ensuring that no horse is slaughtered in New Jersey for human consumption,” Christie said.
    The bill was originally sponsored by Assemblyman Ronald Dancer (R-12) and passed the Assembly with a vote of 72-3 on May 24.
    The bill that went through the Assembly replaced an identical Senate bill sponsored by Sen. Raymond Lesniak (D-20) and passed the Senate on June 25 with a vote of 35-4.

Those found guilty of horse slaughter or selling horse meat for human consumption will be charged with a disorderly persons offense, subject to a fine of at least $100 and imprisonment for at least 30 days.
    The individual will also face civil fines of $500 to $1,000 for each horse slaughtered for human consumption.

If you are anti-slaughter it sounds good right?

Well then, why did the horse council and most other horse groups oppose it?

from the Farm Bureau

[SIZE=2]"However, amendments added in committee to the bills now ban the transport of horses to slaughter for human consumption and the transport of horse meat for human consumption are problematic, with no restrictions on enforcement, and quite likely a violation of interstate and international trade.

As written, transportation within the state would be enforced by NJSCPA agents who are also cited as the direct beneficiaries of the proposed fines!

With no guidance on how to prove someone is transporting to slaughter for human consumption this could lead to severe harassment of responsible horse owners. Many horses move between the US and Canada competing at New Jersey and Canadian tracks and events. This connection to Canada is all an agent would need to stop and ask about where you are transporting a horse.

Language in the bill also talks about horses as pets confusing the current designation of horses as livestock. This would open the door for further enforcement by the NJSPCA on horse owners and undermine the Department of Agriculture’s humane standards for domestic livestock. "[/SIZE]

We haven't seen a problem yet, but it effectively gives the ASPCA and not the police or the Department of Agriculture the right to stop you and ask you to show you are NOT transporting your horse to slaughter or for sale for slaughter.

Since ASPCA people in state have been responsible for some weird complaints against people - including the guy who was taken to court and fined for animal abuse after he trapped some rats in his yard where his grandchildren played (the rats came from a local fast food place nearby) and then killed them when he couldn't find any other way to dispose of them.

Animal control said they wouldn't handle them and that it was illegal to drop them off in another neighborhood (understandable). Don't remember all the details, but the AC guy found out he killed the rats in the have-a-heart trap and filed an animal cruelty case against him. There are many other crazy tales of these folks.

So we now have given them the right to stop your trailer on the highway and ask you where you are taking your horse. Do YOU carry proof you aren't bringing your horse to New Holland or the like? Remember THEY get to keep the fines they levy against you

Many reasonable horse folk were against this. Unfortunately the anti-slaughter folks only saw a step toward ending slaughter and didn't read the whole thing/ decided "if I'm not doing anything wrong, a little inconvenience shouldn't be a problem"

Quote Originally Posted by Drive NJ View Post
    In NJ last Sept,
    Gov. Chris Christie signed a bill on Friday that bans horse slaughter in New Jersey (A-2023).
    The bill, which passed the state Senate and Assembly, prohibits the in-state slaughter of horses, transportation of horses to slaughter and the sale of horse meat for human consumption.
    “This bi-partisan measure is a nod to our decency and respect for horses in our state, ensuring that no horse is slaughtered in New Jersey for human consumption,” Christie said.
    The bill was originally sponsored by Assemblyman Ronald Dancer (R-12) and passed the Assembly with a vote of 72-3 on May 24.
    The bill that went through the Assembly replaced an identical Senate bill sponsored by Sen. Raymond Lesniak (D-20) and passed the Senate on June 25 with a vote of 35-4.

Those found guilty of horse slaughter or selling horse meat for human consumption will be charged with a disorderly persons offense, subject to a fine of at least $100 and imprisonment for at least 30 days.
    The individual will also face civil fines of $500 to $1,000 for each horse slaughtered for human consumption.

If you are anti-slaughter it sounds good right?

Well then, why did the horse council and most other horse groups oppose it?

from the Farm Bureau

[SIZE=2]"However, amendments added in committee to the bills now ban the transport of horses to slaughter for human consumption and the transport of horse meat for human consumption are problematic, with no restrictions on enforcement, and quite likely a violation of interstate and international trade.

As written, transportation within the state would be enforced by NJSCPA agents who are also cited as the direct beneficiaries of the proposed fines!

With no guidance on how to prove someone is transporting to slaughter for human consumption this could lead to severe harassment of responsible horse owners. Many horses move between the US and Canada competing at New Jersey and Canadian tracks and events. This connection to Canada is all an agent would need to stop and ask about where you are transporting a horse.

Language in the bill also talks about horses as pets confusing the current designation of horses as livestock. This would open the door for further enforcement by the NJSPCA on horse owners and undermine the Department of Agriculture’s humane standards for domestic livestock. "[/SIZE]

We haven't seen a problem yet, but it effectively gives the ASPCA and not the police or the Department of Agriculture the right to stop you and ask you to show you are NOT transporting your horse to slaughter or for sale for slaughter.

Since ASPCA people in state have been responsible for some weird complaints against people - including the guy who was taken to court and fined for animal abuse after he trapped some rats in his yard where his grandchildren played (the rats came from a local fast food place nearby) and then killed them when he couldn't find any other way to dispose of them.

Animal control said they wouldn't handle them and that it was illegal to drop them off in another neighborhood (understandable). Don't remember all the details, but the AC guy found out he killed the rats in the have-a-heart trap and filed an animal cruelty case against him. There are many other crazy tales of these folks.

So we now have given them the right to stop your trailer on the highway and ask you where you are taking your horse. Do YOU carry proof you aren't bringing your horse to New Holland or the like? Remember THEY get to keep the fines they levy against you

Many reasonable horse folk were against this. Unfortunately the anti-slaughter folks only saw a step toward ending slaughter and didn't read the whole thing/ decided "if I'm not doing anything wrong, a little inconvenience shouldn't be a problem"
    Oh, goody.

So every time you shove a few horses in a stock trailer, they can pull you over.

AND they get the fines?!
    Quote Originally Posted by Mozart View Post
    Personally, I think the moderate use of shock collars in training humans should be allowed.

Of course - every state needs more money somehow.

Quote Originally Posted by Alagirl View Post
    Oh, goody.

So every time you shove a few horses in a stock trailer, they can pull you over.

AND they get the fines?!