The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

You're in the Midwest, try Auto Owners with an Independent carrier. Also MI has an Equine Liability Act which addresses many horse activities. http://www.animallaw.info/statutes/s...1.htm#691.1666

State Farm has never asked me about any pets, either in New York State or North Carolina. We didn't have horses in NY, but we have had as many as 5 here. I asked one time about needing anything special for the horses and the tack, etc., and they said no, unless my tack was over a certain value, which it no way is.

Quote Originally Posted by poltroon View Post
    It's not just about an agent or even your state, although the state rules vary quite a bit. It seems like the rules for "new business" are getting very much tighter, meaning that your old policy renews just fine but that you might not be able to buy that same policy now.
    This is certainly true, as well. I moved from one side of the county to the other about 3 years ago, bought new property similar to what I sold, but had to jump through many more hoops with respect to roof, plumbing, and electric to get the new house insured than I did with my previous house.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but if you are a USEF member, you have some kind of liability coverage. I can't find the info on their website, but I swear I remember seeing something in my membership packet.

Edited to add... I found it on their site.

UNITED STATES EQUESTRIAN FEDERATION MEMBERSHIP IS WORTH $1,000,000

All Senior Active, Junior Active, Life and USEF Equestrian Plus Members Automatically Receive:
    EXCESS PERSONAL LIABILITY

Members receive personal liability coverage with a $1,000,000 policy limit. Coverage is for claims brought against members of USEF arising from the use and/or ownership of a horse and for horse-related accidents involving bodily injury and property damage. Coverage will apply when engaged in any horse-related activity and coverage is in excess of any existing valid and collectible insurance. There is no deductible.
    PERSONAL ACCIDENT INSURANCE

The personal accident policy insures the member for death or permanent disability resulting from an accident anywhere in the world at the following benefit levels:

• Up to $35,000 at a USEF sanctioned event
    • Up to $20,000 while insured is engaged in any horse-related activity worldwide
    • Up to $3,750 for insured person under the age of 18

(This above information is for illustration purposes only, and is subject to certain variations and restrictions in individual states.)
    (The insurance policy and application set forth the terms and conditions which apply.)
    For more information Click Here (http://www.usef.org/documents/member...PolicyInfo.pdf)
    Last edited by Tiffani B; Apr. 11, 2013 at 09:26 PM. Reason: Found it!

My "insurance guys" wife is a dressage trainer in town. He made sure my dogs and horses were covered for on property and off. I still only pay $400 a year. Not bad at all. That even includes extra for having a stallion

I have lived for 23 years in a town in Southern California that bills itself as "Horsetown USA" and I have never been asked about whether I had horses. I use AAA.

I only rent my farm, and have renter's insurance through my state's Farm Bureau. I just have to keep the number of horses under 6 and I'm all good.
    "...That's the worst, I think. When the secret stays locked within not for want of a teller, but for want of an understanding ear." --Stephen King

Never been asked if I had a horse or even a dog... but I do have personal liability insurance through the Ontario Equine Federation, $5 million. http://horse.on.ca/membership/member...ance-benefits/

Quote Originally Posted by War Admiral View Post
    So Farm Bureau won't issue homeowners ins. to horse owners. Verry interresting. Thanks for that info!
    Farm Bureau is different in every state. We have had them in both Minnesota & Missouri and had horses and other livestock with no issues whatsoever. I will say that the Missouri FB in every way outshines MN FB.