The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

We have Safeco insurance for the cars, house and an umbrella policy because of the horses here at home.

When we moved out here to the rural area of Kansas 19 years ago Allstate would not insure the house and land. I had been with them for 15 years but at that time recent high payouts due to FL hurricanes and the fact that our rural fire department is volunteer and 10 miles away made it too risky.

Quote Originally Posted by Guilherme View Post
    I get the impression that Farm Bureau is organized on a state by state basis. That would explain the TN hostility and the KY and VA non-hostility.
    Agreed. In my state FB did not insure the boarding of horses (farm owner who boards just a few as kind of an added value type of thing - not a commercial boarding business). Evidently that changed in the past few years.

Now - IF you purchase a rider, you can board a few.

But I strongly suspect some horse farm owners just assume their policy covers their equine activities or anything else they want to do. A pretty dangerous assumption!
    Brothers and sisters, I bid you beware
    Of giving your heart to a dog to tear.
    -Rudyard Kipling

Quote Originally Posted by poltroon View Post
    Fun times. I tried to move my homeowners' to State Farm after our remodel was done. Originally they wouldn't cover us because we didn't have central heat. But starting this year, they won't write new policies for dwellings that aren't within a couple miles of a full time professional fire department. So much for the "Farm" part.
    Wow, that would eliminate most of our state. I know of very few towns that have a professional fire department.

I have Farmers (duhn duh-nuh, duhn duhn duuhn...you get the idea, I love their jingle).

Both pickups, motorcycle, house plus belongings, small horse trailer plus $4k for theft therefrom, big trailer plus $10k for theft therefrom, roadside for everything including the trailers separately (same as US Riders, I even double checked when I was considering switching), and we've had a couple started claims. Mostly a call for a claim agent to assess damage, which is lower than the deductible, so we choose to not follow through with the claim and fix ourselves. My truck got hit in a parking lot, minor damage, and two glass claims within a short period of time when my windshield started leaking and when DH's windshield caught a boulder from the truck in front of it. No increases. I'll be checking with them for business liability type insurance when we go that route.

They OBVIOUSLY know we have horses. Two truck, two trailers, specifically mentioned "custom tack" for the theft concerns. He never even ASKED.

Oh, and the rate was ridiculously lower than USAA, which blew DH out of the water. I'll check with them for farm insurance though, if Farmers can't be my bestie for that anymore.
    Aisha, my heart from 03/06/1986 to 08/22/2008.

COTH's official mini-donk enabler.
    Odie, aka the Evil Burrito, is on Facebook.

I have State Farm coverage for my auto and home. My agent only asked me about my dog and her breed...if she had been a pit I would've had to have more coverage. They never asked me about horses.
    “Riding a horse is not a gentle hobby, to be picked up and laid down like a game of Solitaire. It is a grand passion.” ~Emerson

We have VA Farm Bureau - policy covers boarders (CC&C), insures older horses for general mortality, and if I needed it, would cover lessons. Have only had a couple of small claims over the years but they have always been super quick and easy to deal with. Even covered the food I had to throw away when we lost power due to the Derecho. With an umbrella policy which includes everything on the farm (house, equipment, barn, horses) we save a lot of money over having policies for each one.

Really, and I have state farm and they cover the horses for no extra charge and they have never asked me what type of dogs I have. I've been with them for 13 years now. I had a dobie, and now I have a German Shepard and bloodhound but they have never asked me. Interesting. Maybe it's a state thing idk.
    Horses aren't our whole life, but makes our life whole

Quote Originally Posted by Kiwayu View Post
    I have USAA for my car and house which covers my horses in my yard and the barns. USAA even covered my horse while I was boarding because they look at horses as "property"
    USAA has a horse limit, though. When we bought our first house, we wanted to get our homeowners through USAA. (We had the car and banking and mortgage all through USAA). They asked if we had horses, asked how many, and wouldn't cover us because we had 5 horses. Apparently they covered up to four horses...

We're getting ready to start shopping around for homeowners again. The current company is on the high side and they've recently treated us poorly, so it is time to take my money elsewhere.
    Visit us at Bluebonnet Equine Humane Society - www.bluebonnetequine.org

Want to get involved in rescue or start your own? Check out How to Start a Horse Rescue - www.howtostartarescue.com

When I lived in NY my homeowners ins company 'suggested' I obtain a separate equine liability policy. Got the policy from Markel. It was inexpensive especially considering how much homeowners insurance costs in NY.

I use Farm Bureau now. In this area if they excluded horse owners they wouldn't write any policies. LOL, They never asked about horse ownership.
    Fan of Sea Accounts

Quote Originally Posted by cowgirljenn View Post
    USAA has a horse limit, though. When we bought our first house, we wanted to get our homeowners through USAA. (We had the car and banking and mortgage all through USAA). They asked if we had horses, asked how many, and wouldn't cover us because we had 5 horses. Apparently they covered up to four horses...

We're getting ready to start shopping around for homeowners again. The current company is on the high side and they've recently treated us poorly, so it is time to take my money elsewhere.
    I've been a USAA member for 40+ years but when we bought the first farm in TN they decided that we were "commercial" (probably based on acreage) and that was a "non-starter" for them. They did give a referral to their commercial brokerage arm and I got a quote that was reasonable. At that time TN Farm Bureau was not actively hostile, the rate was better, and I was anxious to begin to establish local business connections. I went with FB. Their attitude changed within a couple of years and I switched to Great American through a KY broker (now deceased). When Great American became difficult I found another broker (Wade and Egbert in Nashville) and the coverage is now with Travelers. The service from Wade and Egbert has always been outstanding.

Actually, over almost 23 years, that's not a bad progression.

I have checked USAA commercial a number of times over the years. Sometimes they were better, sometimes I could do better locally. The difference was never much; maintaining local contact was more important than a few dollars.

My personal car insurance is still with them.

G.
    Mangalarga Marchador: Uma Raça, Uma Paixão

I am in MA and when I went to get Home Owners insurance for my condo, I had to get it from a special high risk insurance group because I had a horse. It didnt matter that the horse was boarded out, apparently if the horse caused damage, my home owners policy would have to pay out. The high risk insurance groups rates were pretty much the same as other carriers, the only difference was that I couldnt get the "packaged" rates if I had both polices (car/truck and home owners) with the same carrier. I thought it was strange too.

All of my insurance has been with FL Farm Bureau for nearly 20 years. I've never had any issues related to the horses. Several years ago after I moved to a more populated part of the county and had concerns about liability issues related to the horses, my agent added coverage under their Country Squire program, which provides extra protection for stuff like that. It wasn't much more $.

I suspect that, as someone else already mentioned, differences between individual agents and between states may be significant. I'm lucky enough to have a great agent.

Quote Originally Posted by cowgirljenn View Post
    Really? when I asked them if my homeowners covered horses boarded off my property and upped my liabiliy limit because I owne horses boarded in a very suburban area, they never asked me how many I had.
    hhhhmmmmm
    There is something about the outside of a horse that is good for the inside of a man.(Churchill)

Quote Originally Posted by SLW View Post
    We have Safeco insurance for the cars, house and an umbrella policy because of the horses here at home.

When we moved out here to the rural area of Kansas 19 years ago Allstate would not insure the house and land. I had been with them for 15 years but at that time recent high payouts due to FL hurricanes and the fact that our rural fire department is volunteer and 10 miles away made it too risky.
    As an agent, this is one of the biggest PITAs. I cannot stress it enough...when looking at homes, get an insurance quote BEFORE making an offer, and find out what protection class it's in.
    "A horse gallops with his lungs, perseveres with his heart, and wins with his character." - Tesio

Quote Originally Posted by Donkerbruin View Post
    I am an insurance agent with Nationwide. We do not ask people if they have horses...only if they have dogs. Even so, dogs are fine as long as they don't have any bite history.

Horses are a liability, and different companies have different guidelines as to what risks they will take on. Take your money somewhere else. Try Nationwide...in North Carolina, at least, they don't care if you have horses or not.
    Nationwide is WONDERFUL!!!!!!! I've been an auto insurance customer since 1974, & a homeowner customer since 1994. Love the company to death!!!!

And neither my horses nor my dogs have ever been an issue.

FWIW, Fireman's Fund has done well for us. They came out and did a site visit before writing up the policy, and my insurance agent has a horse so we always talk horses, so no surprises for them. We carry excess liability coverage as a matter of course, however.
    They don't call me frugal for nothing.
    Proud and achy member of the Eventing Grannies clique.

What happens if you try to get homeowner's insurance when you are a member of a horse group? I always figured when I bought a horse I would get annual membership in the local horse council, which includes liability insurance for you & your horse for non-commercial uses, including causing injury or damage to someone else. If you have that, how is it viewed by the insurance companies? Would that mean you don't need your homeowner's policy to cover it?

It's not just about an agent or even your state, although the state rules vary quite a bit. It seems like the rules for "new business" are getting very much tighter, meaning that your old policy renews just fine but that you might not be able to buy that same policy now.

The State Farm agent was very kind and straightforward, and obviously extremely frustrated himself with the new rules, which leave him without a lot of options for writing new business in our area.

I'll second the comment to get a confirmed insurance quote on horse property before you close escrow - you maybe shocked to find out how much it can cost. In my case, I had that in hand, and then the agent reneged after we'd signed the closing papers (she had decided the house looked too old from driving by on the street, and neglected to tell anyone) and created a huge nasty hassle that was fixed by some quick thinking and nimble real estate agents.
    If you are allergic to a thing, it is best not to put that thing in your mouth, particularly if the thing is cats. - Lemony Snicket

Proud owner of one Lunar acre! (Campanus Crater, The Moon)

I was told that owning a horse opens up your level of exposure. Seriously? I've been at this forever. They're looking for excuses.

I was also told that as an instructor, more than one horse will increase your rates a LOT--even if you're the only one handling and riding the horses. It's absurd.

JMO
    "Relinquish your whip!!"

Quote Originally Posted by MillysGirl View Post
    What happens if you try to get homeowner's insurance when you are a member of a horse group? I always figured when I bought a horse I would get annual membership in the local horse council, which includes liability insurance for you & your horse for non-commercial uses, including causing injury or damage to someone else. If you have that, how is it viewed by the insurance companies? Would that mean you don't need your homeowner's policy to cover it?
    I am sure it varies. When we moved to this place, we changed insurance agents to someone local. They wanted us to have a equine liability rider (which wasn't much, maybe $100/year). I already had some coverage through a horse organization, but they insisted on the additional rider.
    Visit us at Bluebonnet Equine Humane Society - www.bluebonnetequine.org

Want to get involved in rescue or start your own? Check out How to Start a Horse Rescue - www.howtostartarescue.com