The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Default Denied homeowner's insurance due to owning a horse

I'm flabbergasted--I've been contacting insurance companies to get quotes for homeowner's and auto insurance polices all day long. Costco members supposedly get a discount on insurance through Ameriprise so I figured I would get a quote from them. The rep asked if I owned dogs or horses, to which I said yes, but the horse doesn't live here (I board). At that point I was told Ameriprise would not issue me a home owner's policy due to liability. Seriously? This is the first company who has even asked if I owned a horse (but, I'm in suburbia so not exactly horse country).

Has anyone else experienced this? It seems odd to me, especially since the horse doesn't live here. I understand about the liability of dogs biting or injuring someone here on my property but can't wrap my mind around how owning a horse who lives miles away prohibits me from obtaining insurance.

Years ago a friends horse kicked a van at a show and the homeowners policy covered it. Not sure exactly how that works

That's odd. They should ask you if you own a skateboard, rollerblades, or a bike, etc. I guess. I hope someone with an education in the field chimes in and explains it.

3 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by jennywho View Post
    Years ago a friends horse kicked a van at a show and the homeowners policy covered it. Not sure exactly how that works
    This. For some reason horses are covered under most homeowner policies, although it's not well known. Boats, too, apparently.

Here's an informative link from UVM:
    http://asci.uvm.edu/equine/law/horselaw/insure.htm
    Most homeowner's apparently includes coverage for "non business related activities."

The representative stated it was due to the liability and risk of the horse injuring someone else. It must be a "hot button" with them because I can't imagine that being a standard question when coming up with a quote. Very few people around here would respond they owned a horse. Maybe they've had to pay out some pricey claims related to horses? I too am curious if any insurance gurus on here could explain why they flat out refused to insure me. I suppose I could understand if they jacked up the price a bit and gave me a high quote, but to completely refuse to insure me seems way out of line.

Keep shopping that was never a question when we got Home owners insurance.
    Strange.
    "you can only ride the drama llama so hard before it decides to spit in your face." ?Caffeinated.

1 members found this post helpful.

Can't they just exclude the horse? You should have an equine liability policy, however.
    "We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals." ~Immanuel Kant

I'm certainly no expert, but I have been in the same boat only with my EXISTING policy!

Horse are considered an "attractive nuisance". When I was a teen and my boarded horse was covered under my parent's policy(State Farm), I got sued because some idiot RAN at us to "pet the horsie" complete with toddler in his arms while I was riding in a park. My horse froze, spun, and stopped, but in the process knocked the guy over pretty hard and injured him. Guy got a pretty big settlement. Thankfully State Farm did not raise or drop my parents policy.

Fast forward 20 years, now I have my own farm, a private farm, no boarders etc., and have my homeowners with Farm Bureau. All was fine for about 5 years, then we get a letter that we are being dropped because we have horses.(we have had horses the whole time and no claims). Yeah, how about that, Farm Bureau doesn't want to deal with horses anymore!(that's what our agent told us). Our agent was able to talk FB into keeping our policy. It's super hard to get decent insurance here in FL too. Not many companies write here at all muchless ones with "issues" like dogs/horses. This went on for about 4 years, get drop notice, agent begs FB, repeat. The last couple years they have left us alone.

So not really helpful advise, but I feel your pain!
    Check us out on Facebook at EVER AFTER FARM

Quote Originally Posted by Endevor View Post
    The representative stated it was due to the liability and risk of the horse injuring someone else. It must be a "hot button" with them because I can't imagine that being a standard question when coming up with a quote. Very few people around here would respond they owned a horse. Maybe they've had to pay out some pricey claims related to horses? I too am curious if any insurance gurus on here could explain why they flat out refused to insure me. I suppose I could understand if they jacked up the price a bit and gave me a high quote, but to completely refuse to insure me seems way out of line.
    If this is a member benefit with COSTCO I'd "raise some sand" with COSTCO.

Otherwise take your money elsewhere. Reward the folks who want your business.

G.
    Mangalarga Marchador: Uma Raça, Uma Paixão

3 members found this post helpful.

So Farm Bureau won't issue homeowners ins. to horse owners. Verry interresting. Thanks for that info!
    "The standard you walk by is the standard you accept."--Lt. Gen. David Morrison, Austalian Army Chief

2 members found this post helpful.

I am an insurance agent with Nationwide. We do not ask people if they have horses...only if they have dogs. Even so, dogs are fine as long as they don't have any bite history.

Horses are a liability, and different companies have different guidelines as to what risks they will take on. Take your money somewhere else. Try Nationwide...in North Carolina, at least, they don't care if you have horses or not.
    "A horse gallops with his lungs, perseveres with his heart, and wins with his character." - Tesio

Quote Originally Posted by War Admiral View Post
    So Farm Bureau won't issue homeowners ins. to horse owners. Verry interresting. Thanks for that info!
    Farm Bureau has been hostile to equine operations for at least two decades. When comes to horses, Charlie is Mr. Pants-On-Fire.

G.
    Mangalarga Marchador: Uma Raça, Uma Paixão

Oh, don't get me started.

One company denied me renters' insurance years ago, because I owned a Rottweiler.

I wanted to ask whether they denied coverage to women who had husbands, boyfriends, ex-husbands or ex-boyfriends.

Because those things send LOTS more people to the hospital every year than do Rotties.

12 members found this post helpful.

I did not have a problem with my homeowners insurance but my umbrella policy insurer insisted that I carry an equine liability policy on my horse in order to be covered. It was worth it to me to carry the extra insurance.

I have awesome insurance. I don't have insurance on my farm to cover the horse because my homeowners does cover them. No extra cost just part of my regular policy. I even double checked and called to ask if my horses got out and caused a wreck with a car etc would they cover it. She got back with me and said yes, my insurance will cover any damage or injury they caused!
    Horses aren't our whole life, but makes our life whole

My homeowner's insurance is with Allstate and they had no problem with the horses. I'm in Ocala, Florida. When I lived in North Carolina and Tennessee, my homeowner's was with Liberty Mutual and they had no problems with the horses...and at one point I had 11 of the beasts. Liberty Mutual doesn't write homeowner's policies in Florida.
    Everybody lies - Gregory House, M.D.

For those with hobby farms (ie your farm is not commercial) Most will not be covered under a traditional HO policy and actually need to be routed to a farm insurance carrier. I work for Nationwide and something like that would be routed to our Ag department versus traditonal personal lines.

As for the horse liability I have never been asked that question either but I imagine some carriers most likely had some bad losses (either lawsuits or claims paid) that is causing them to balk. I think sometimes it's forgotten that insurance companies are for profit...sure they could jack up rates but that takes time because you have to file with the DOI. Its getting hard to be profitable because we live in such a litigious society, along with a lot of insurance fraud. Companies nowadays usually just pay out and unfortunately that results in this kind of reaction which sucks for the people who are honest!

We're with Allstate and the horses at home have never been an issue. I explicitly asked at renewal last year. We're in WA state.

Quote Originally Posted by rabicon View Post
    I have awesome insurance. I don't have insurance on my farm to cover the horse because my homeowners does cover them. No extra cost just part of my regular policy. I even double checked and called to ask if my horses got out and caused a wreck with a car etc would they cover it. She got back with me and said yes, my insurance will cover any damage or injury they caused!
    what company??