The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Is this bit legal????

Is this bit legal? I'm most worried about the connection of the bit to the rings. Thanks!

Greenville, MI,

Looks just like a loose ring snaffle to me with a different way of attaching to rings. But I am no expert.
    "you can only ride the drama llama so hard before it decides to spit in your face." Caffeinated.

Guthrie, OK

Not per the USEF rules for eventing. Yes, the way the rings are attached are different, and that is prob the reason. But you can ask Janet.

Nokesville, VA

It does not match anything that is pictured or described in the rulebook, so I would be inclined to say it is NOT legal for Eventing Dressage.

But, if you like the bit, you should ask the USEF (not the USEA) whether it is legal.

chief feeder and mucker for Music, Spy, Belle and Tiara. Someone else is now feeding and mucking for Chief and Brain (both foxhunting now).

I have a similar bit and one TD said well it's not pictured so she wouldn't use it. I wrote to the USEF and was told that as a loose ring egg butt it is a legal bit because both a loose ring and an egg butt are legal bits. For awhile I carried the e-mail with me to competitions but not anymore. Now the one with 'wings', Steuben makes it, is not legal because they are considered bit guards.