The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

My JRT would act just like that before he had a seizure, could have been 5 minutes before- or an hour before. When he goes off by himself in the dark it may be because he feels funny from a seizure coming on. Some seizures are very mild too, you may hardly notice it happening if you weren't looking for it. I would keep an eye open for that when you see him acting that way, keep him near you so you can watch.
    Kerri

My first thought was perhaps something is going on with his eyes as it seems like he has issues going from light to dark and dark to light.

I thought ghosts too but since you say it happens outside too then that kind of cuts out ghosts, electrical issues, light issues, falls... Hmmmm, my guess is also pain. Some kind of pain that comes and goes but is apparently quite severe when it does come. Seizures also a good possibility, they often show up in odd ways. Hemangiosarcoma is a thought, it can cause bleeding episodes that are painful and debilitating, then ease up when the blood clots. Eventually they usually bleed to death or have to be put down before they do so I HOPE it isn't that. There are some interesting articles about it if you search for Siberian husky and the disease. But it could be any number of things that cause pain. I hope it is nothing serious.
    Every mighty oak was once a nut that stood its ground.

Proud Closet Canterer! Member Riders with Fibromyalgia clique.

My co-worker had two hunting dogs this happened to after using shock collars in training. They determined the dogs could actually hear buzzing of electronics when inside the house that made them think of the shock collar. One dog was so bad they opted to euth. It may be possible he hears something that makes him think of the collar? I am not sure the second dog was in training as long and didnt seem to react to the collar but she was never the same and had similar anxiety issues. My co-worker never trained with them again or with that trainer, thankfully.
    Where in this wide world can man find nobility without pride,
    friendship without envy or beauty without vanity?
    Ode to the Horse. ~ Ronald Duncan

Quote Originally Posted by SquishTheBunny View Post
    I would run bloodwork, including baseline resting cortisol. Videotaping his shaking episodes may also be helpful to the vet.
    Agree. My dog had similar symptoms before his diagnosis with Addison's Disease. Once diagnosed, it is easy to treat, but cortisol measures, and an electrolyte panel are a first step in diagnosis.

his age- 2- leads me to think epilepsy.

Wendy, 2 is also a common age for Addison's dx.

Quote Originally Posted by Weenie19 View Post
    Nothing has changed in the house! No new furniture, everything in the exact same spot as before.

He has had his panting/shaking episodes at the barn as well, so it is not just the house. He is tied up at the barn and I am not always in his sight, so am wondering if this could be from anxiety?

The only difference in his life, was he had a shock collar for 2 days to help stop barking at the barn. When shocked, he seemed to ignore it, so I returned it. He only had his on for a couple hours over 2 days at the barn, never at the house.
    Why won't you let him bark when he is outside/ at the barn? Also, in a later post you say he knows he is supposed to be "quiet" in the house. I am wondering if he is having anxiety attacks? Husky's are active dogs and from the ones I have been around pretty high strung. You shocked him when he barked, you tie him at the barn and control his activity in the house. Maybe he can't handle it anymore?

2 members found this post helpful.

median age of diagnosis of Addison's is 5; but yeah, it does get diagnosed in younger dogs.
    Clearly some more extensive vet work is indicated.

based on the description, I would suggest seizures. One of our goldens will have uncontrollable shaking when he has one. He is aware and can even walk w/ you to some degree.
    Seizures can take many different forms - including staring where the dog (or person) is just not home or unable to move.

Quote Originally Posted by IFG View Post
    Wendy, 2 is also a common age for Addison's dx.
    Addisons was my first thought too. good luck!

Quote Originally Posted by candyappy View Post
    Why won't you let him bark when he is outside/ at the barn? Also, in a later post you say he knows he is supposed to be "quiet" in the house. I am wondering if he is having anxiety attacks? Husky's are active dogs and from the ones I have been around pretty high strung. You shocked him when he barked, you tie him at the barn and control his activity in the house. Maybe he can't handle it anymore?
    He can bark outside, I don't want him barking at the barn. There is no reason for it. Some horses may not like it, and other people shouldn't have to listen to it. An odd bark here and there, sure no problem. But when he gets barking, its loud and constant.

Having him be 'quiet' in the house simply means no jumping and running around. Reasonable I think. This has never been an issue for him. He goes for multiple walks a day, to the dog park and does get to run at the barn.

He has been calm since the day he was brought home as a puppy. He is the farthest thing you can get from high strung. I do thank you for your thoughts, but don't believe that it is the cause of his problems!

Thank you for all the thoughts and suggestions everyone! He is going back to the vets tomorrow morning to have some tests done!