The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Lightbulb Dog - Odd behaviour/shaking/panting

***UPDATE

Some blood work came back and his LIPA levels are high. Should be 200-1800, he is at 2466. He also had a Snap CPL test done. It is abnormal. How abnormal, we dont know yet. I was given some medication to try for the weekend and see how he does. If there is no improvement, we will find out how abnormal the number is. His diet has also been changed for the weekend - rice and boiled hamburger meat.

Today has been a good day though. No shaking, and he has come into the house with no problems 3 out of the 4 times he was out today.

Hi everyone,

I was wondering if anyone has had a problem like this. This past week my dog has changed the way he acts. He is usually very friendly and spends most of his time in the living room with us when we are watching tv. He has also never had a problem coming into the house.

This past week he has been fighting us when coming into the house. He will plant himself and not move. If you tug on him he will just resist it, or pull back. It can take up to 5 minutes to get him into the house, and it is usually by dragging him or picking him up.

He has started to hang out in the bathroom and laundry room off by himself in the dark. He has never really done this before, maybe the odd time. But he now spends most of his time in there. He seemed a little timid to come out to living room/kitchen. He would come the odd time, but seemed hesitant and would often stare. We have also noticed that before all this started he would randomly sit up and like stare into space for a few minutes.

What has me the most worried is he has had 5 or 6 episodes of extreme panting and shaking. These episodes can last for around 45 minutes. He does not continuously shake. He will shake for a few seconds, stop for a few, then shake for a few, etc.

This is a Siberian husky, male, 2 years old that does suffer from some anxiety issues. However, his panting and shaking episodes have happened when people are near him. He had an episode last night in the house when I was in the living room. He came in and I sat with him on the floor for a little over half an hour while he had his episode, which leads me to believe it may not be anxiety?

He had an appointment at the vets today, and right now they cannot find anything physically wrong with him. Mind you, they have not checked his blood or ran any other tests like that.

His normal breathing, lung/heart sounds, temp, gum, rectum are all fine. They felt his spine and did some bending stuff, limbs seem fine.

If he continues with his shaking, he will go back next week and I will have tests done on him. But has anyone else experienced this before? Im possibly leaning towards it being a mental thing opposed to physical?

Thanks for any input!

**edited to add, he has also started to run for the garage door and try to get into the garage when we go out there. This is something else that is new.
    Last edited by Weenie19; Apr. 13, 2013 at 05:30 PM. Reason: adding info

Sounds like you have a ghost in the house!

Has anything changed in the house? Wiring, electrical, heating/cooling? Should anything be checked?

Is he ok if he isn't in the house?

2 members found this post helpful.

Nothing has changed in the house! No new furniture, everything in the exact same spot as before.

He has had his panting/shaking episodes at the barn as well, so it is not just the house. He is tied up at the barn and I am not always in his sight, so am wondering if this could be from anxiety?

The only difference in his life, was he had a shock collar for 2 days to help stop barking at the barn. When shocked, he seemed to ignore it, so I returned it. He only had his on for a couple hours over 2 days at the barn, never at the house.

It could very well be pain. Just went through this with my cocker. Panting, sleeping in odd places, getting up and lying down all night long. It was a gall bladder mucocele. If she were mine, I would get her into the vets ASAP.

Edited to Add: My cocker had no other signs, other than her eyes were a bit yellow and my wonderful vet picked up on it right away. She's (Bonnie) is a stoic little thing...didn't react at all to probing and pushing.
    "We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals." ~Immanuel Kant

I had two dogs that did this as they aged. The first was a female that became terrified of anything that buzzed. She had a mysterious bite mark, and I suspect a horse fly or something similar bite her, and til the day she died she would shake, and hide if anything that buzzed was around.

The boy was terrified of loud noises, and would do this any time we had thunderstorms, but strangely enough fireworks initially would scare him, but only for a few minutes.

It might also be evidence of a small seizure too. Or is it hot enough for a heat stroke or other heat illness? Hiding in the dark, in areas without carpet make me suspicious he's trying to get cool.
    You can't fix stupid-Ron White

We have no carpet in the house, so trying to find a cooler area to lay is not the problem. If he is trying to get cool, he can lay in front of the door going into the garage. Cool air comes in there. He used to lay there, but has stopped.

I am wondering if he is scared of something, but because it has happened in the house and at the barn I am unsure.

I think pain, both my JRT's have done similar things when they were in pain.

My first thought was pain. I have an anxiety dog too and have seen the panting shaking when the smoke alarm beeps, etc...so some form of anxiety is not entirely out of the question. What other kinds of anxiety has she exhibited in the past?

I can see pain-my dogs have done that when they have stomach aches or somesuch.

Or fear-that's what my old dog does when she hears thunder....

HMM! Can you try not taking him to the barn for a few days and see if that helps? Maybe something is happening there that is making him freak out...since he's out of your sight?

Any chance he slipped and is afraid of the slick floor? I had a lab who was terrified of our kitchen floor that eventually boiled over to any slick floor. She even peed the one time I tried to take her into Petsmart. I guess the sight of all that linoleum was too much for her. Jingles.

Quote Originally Posted by Beckham03 View Post
    My first thought was pain. I have an anxiety dog too and have seen the panting shaking when the smoke alarm beeps, etc...so some form of anxiety is not entirely out of the question. What other kinds of anxiety has she exhibited in the past?
    He will cry/howl and if he gets worked up enough, he will bark (he does not bark any other time). This can go on for the whole time he is left alone, can be off an on, or just for a short period of time. Depends on his mood I guess. He can be destructive towards shoes and paper/cardboard type products. He will sometimes poop or pee, always in the same spot in the house. All of these behaviours have only been when left alone.

Quote Originally Posted by Laurierace View Post
    Any chance he slipped and is afraid of the slick floor? I had a lab who was terrified of our kitchen floor that eventually boiled over to any slick floor. She even peed the one time I tried to take her into Petsmart. I guess the sight of all that linoleum was too much for her. Jingles.
    It could be possible that he slipped on the floor. But he knows he is to be calm in the house, so he isnt running around and slidding all over.

Now for the pain... I would think that being active would make the pain worse? When he is out on his walks he is happy and perky. When he gets to run at the barn he leaps around and runs full speed and has a good time. Not what I would really expect for a dog in pain, unless its pain that comes and goes.

I would run bloodwork, including baseline resting cortisol. Videotaping his shaking episodes may also be helpful to the vet.

Maybe I shouldnt call it 'shaking'. Its more like shivering? Its hard to see. You have to really stare at him to see it, or rest your hand on him to feel it.

That does sound like when Puff is having his anxiety (he does not like booms, especially thunder booms, and one thing he wants to do when he's anxious is go hide in a dark corner, like in my bedroom, where it gets very dark during the day-I presume if booms can't see you, booms can't get you?) He'll also plant himself and refuse to walk on if he has decided he is scared and is not having any more of this. Complete with rarely barking--Puff has barked exactly three times that I recall, twice when he worked himself into a frenzy because he was SURE it was dinner time and it wasn't, once because Tucker and Molly were barking and he felt like he had to yelp too-stress situations. I second Laurierace's suggestion that he scared himself somehow--slipping, getting pinched in/by something, snagged a toenail.

You might have the vet look at his eyes, too--one thing that seems to set Puff off is when he cannot see things well, and since he's got cataracts that happens more than it used to. A dog that young probably doesn't have cataracts, but he might have trouble seeing.

My dog does this sometimes, but it's almost always related to sounds. For example, when my bf cooks (god bless his heart), he often sets off the fire detector and the beeping upsets my dog a lot. Now, when she hears sizzling from pans, she trembles and pants in fear of the upcoming beeping. Also trembles and pants when there is thunder.

Is it possible that there's a faint whine somewhere in the house that you can't hear? A bulb, a wire, something like that? My dog cannot handle high pitches... maybe yours, too? Might explain avoiding certain rooms or the house in general.

Can he see? Huskies get a variety of congenital cataracts. Blindness and decreased vision can cause all sorts of bizarre behavior.

Mild seizure activity? Back or neck pain?

Do you have fluorescent tube lights? They can really buzz, and I wouldn't be surprised that they have a higher pitched whine that upsets the dog, and you probably don't even notice from the frequency of the sound. I think the curly CFLs whine also sometimes. My older (standard, not flat screen) tv used to have a buzz to it when it was older.
    You can't fix stupid-Ron White

1 members found this post helpful.