The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Clarksdale, MS--the golden buckle on the cotton belt

Default Cardio deaths in California

60% of which were Baffert horses. His horses are more than 100% of the increase from 2011 to 2012.

Kind of makes you wonder what he feeds his horses, doesn't it?

http://www.bloodhorse.com/horse-raci...en-death-spike
    "I'm a lumberjack, and I'm okay."
    Thread killer Extraordinaire

While I hate for horses to die, it would be very interesting to get a complete history on these horses and compare them to other trainers. For all we know, it could be a legal substance that has been used more often, a rare drug reaction between 2 substances, something Baffert feeds his horses, etc. Very interested in trying to ID the cause, especially since this is such an issue in the eventing world and we have so little data on it.

I assume Baffert has horses in multiple states... would love to know how the management of the CA horses differs from the others.

1 members found this post helpful.

Not. A. Baffert. Fan. Not, not, not.

But, that's just my opinion.. Carry on...

3 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Eventer13 View Post
    While I hate for horses to die, it would be very interesting to get a complete history on these horses and compare them to other trainers. For all we know, it could be a legal substance that has been used more often, a rare drug reaction between 2 substances, something Baffert feeds his horses, etc. Very interested in trying to ID the cause, especially since this is such an issue in the eventing world and we have so little data on it.

I assume Baffert has horses in multiple states... would love to know how the management of the CA horses differs from the others.
    From the article:

Cardiac failure in Thoroughbred racehorses is a relatively rare occurrence, according to trainers and racetrack veterinarians.

7 out of 11 horses that died of cardiac failure were in this guy's stable. Coincidence? I think not.
    Proud owner of a Slaughter-Bound TB from a feedlot, and her surprise baby...!
    http://i42.photobucket.com/albums/e350/Jen4USC/fave.jpg
    http://i42.photobucket.com/albums/e3...SC/running.jpg

3 members found this post helpful.

The Paulick Report is alleging trace elements of rat poison in some of them.

UlysMom, I'd be curious why you're not a Baffert fan. I know someone who worked for him as a groom & then exercise rider and felt he was very much a straight-up trainer who did right by his horses. We were in the process of dishing the dirt on trainers she had worked for, in a (ahem!) rather outspoken way, so if there had been any dirt to dig the 2 years she was there, the clods would have rolled in my general direction.
    "The standard you walk by is the standard you accept."--Lt. Gen. David Morrison, Austalian Army Chief

The rat poison is .................an interesting addition.

Quote Originally Posted by War Admiral View Post
    The Paulick Report is alleging trace elements of rat poison in some of them.

UlysMom, I'd be curious why you're not a Baffert fan. I know someone who worked for him as a groom & then exercise rider and felt he was very much a straight-up trainer who did right by his horses. We were in the process of dishing the dirt on trainers she had worked for, in a (ahem!) rather outspoken way, so if there had been any dirt to dig the 2 years she was there, the clods would have rolled in my general direction.

Someone else I know is not a Baffert fan either. Did not say why.

Quote Originally Posted by UlysMom View Post
    Not. A. Baffert. Fan. Not, not, not.

But, that's just my opinion.. Carry on...

Quote Originally Posted by JGHIRETIRE View Post
    The rat poison is .................an interesting addition.
    Well, it IS, but the report alleges it was only found in 2 of 'em, that's not nearly enough to make a definitive statement. Heck, hand-graze your horse the wrong place on the show grounds and it can pick up *trace elements* of rat poison!
    "The standard you walk by is the standard you accept."--Lt. Gen. David Morrison, Austalian Army Chief

No I agree with you - just is....interesting. How things get in your system that don't belong there.

Quote Originally Posted by War Admiral View Post
    Well, it IS, but the report alleges it was only found in 2 of 'em, that's not nearly enough to make a definitive statement. Heck, hand-graze your horse the wrong place on the show grounds and it can pick up *trace elements* of rat poison!

What is really saddening is that these horses are dropping dead in morning workouts and they have to rely on secondhand information saying who is the trainer. Why is that not kept track of? Horse deaths in the morning don't count for anything? Just haul them off and not worry about the who or why?

I do know the sudden death/heart attack thing was common in New Mexico a few years ago when I was there. They were using something that was supposed to be fed only to pigs, mixed with clenbuterol and a few other things. Caused the horses hearts to beat so fast or their adrenaline to pump so high it killed some of them. Of course the public doesn't know about those cases, most of them got swept under the rug. Can't help but wonder if he's using something similar.
    OTTB CONNECT
    FB group for all things related to non racing Thoroughbreds.. Click here to join ~~~> OTTB CONNECT

Rat poison is an interesting theory but wouldn't cause cardiac failure. The active ingredients in rat poison are anticoagulants-- the horses would bleed out, not arrest. They only mentioned two horses being found with rat poison/internal hemorrhaging in the BH article.
    Don't fall for a girl who fell for a horse just to be number two in her world... ~EFO

Clarksdale, MS--the golden buckle on the cotton belt

Isn't Mike Pegram the milk shake king? Between Baffert and Pegram, that's the majority of deaths, isn't it? And it looks as if the cardio deaths are happening at an even higher rate this year.

I hope the authorities get to the bottom of this.
    "I'm a lumberjack, and I'm okay."
    Thread killer Extraordinaire

the CHRB interviewed pest-control companies that provided services to the Southern California tracks and that the type of rodenticide used by those companies did not match what was found in the toxicology tests. He also said Dr. Francico Uzal of the University of California-Davis and the CHRB’s medical director, veterinarian Rick Arthur, told the committee that the rat poison could not be confirmed as the cause of death.

There are some necropsy reports, it will be interesting to see what comes up, that's for sure.
    Proud owner of a Slaughter-Bound TB from a feedlot, and her surprise baby...!
    http://i42.photobucket.com/albums/e350/Jen4USC/fave.jpg
    http://i42.photobucket.com/albums/e3...SC/running.jpg

Mike Pegram is not a trainer, he is an owner. Baffert is his main trainer.

Anti-coagulants might not cause cardiac arrest, but they might hint at the presence of something else that would cause heart attacks.
    Edgar Allen Poe.

I'd be interested to know the breeding of the horses that died, to see if there was any common denominator among them.

As for the rat poison angle, that would surely not be a performance enhancer..that would be a deliberate attempt to injure or kill the horse. I really have difficulty believing that would be the case.

We should ask Deltawave. She is the heart expert.
    Delaware Park Canter Volunteer
    http://www.canterusa.org/

Quote Originally Posted by kcmel View Post
    We should ask Deltawave. She is the heart expert.
    In Humans.

Someone responding to the Paulick Report thought they were being killed for insurance money.

I don't know if its true or not, but someone also posted at the PR I think that mixing bute and Coumadin can cause hemorrhaging, and show up on a report looking like rodenticide.

Quote Originally Posted by twelvebelles View Post
    I don't know if its true or not, but someone also posted at the PR I think that mixing bute and Coumadin can cause hemorrhaging, and show up on a report looking like rodenticide.
    Now THAT's interesting.