The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Neutered male dog dribbling urine, vet is stumped

Hoping someone could offer suggestions...

I have a 6-ish year old neutered (when I got him, approx 2 years of age) mixed breed medium size dog.

About 3 weeks ago I thought I noticed that he dribbled a bit when he jumped up and off the couch, but saw no more evidence of it until about a week later when it happened again. Made an appt in 2 days time, and noticed the problem got worse in that time span. Still only apparent though when getting up from lying down.

Bloods and U/A were done, nothing out of the ordinary. Dog sent home with no meds and to await test results. Problem got worse, now dripping when walking. Back to vet for ultrasound, bloods and U/A done again. No stones apparent but he did say the bladder wall was irritated and vet didn't know why. Sent home with PPL and Derramax. It has now been 5 days and the problem much improved, but still leaving the occasional small puddle behind. Have a call in to vet but last visit he said the next thing he might recommend would be a trip to the vet college (9 hours away) as they would have a small enough scope for his urethra (or ureter, can't remember which).

The dog does seem to jump up and leave a spot behind, I don't know if it is suddenly painful or if he is bothered by feeling the urine come out when it shouldn't?

I'm really hoping someone on here might have faced a similar situation or has some suggestions. I'll make the trip to vet college if I have to, but it would be very very difficult to do at this time...and if there is something else I could try before going that far...really hoping for some advice!

Thanks for reading.

Urethral sphincter mechanism incompetence can happen in male dogs as well, even though it's far more rare based primarily on anatomical differences. Because this happens when he's performing a certain movement, that movement may alter urethral sphincter pressure in such a way that leakage results.

I am not a vet, and while my graduate research is on USMI in spayed females, I have not spent a lot of time investigating male cases. That being said, I would talk to your vet about at least trying him on Proin (phenylpropanolamine) to determine whether it is a urethral sphincter issue or not, before doing the drive to the vet college. This case doesn't sound like a unilateral ectopic ureter to me - the leaking would be happening here and there through the day and night, not just when he gets off and on the couch.

Proin will cause vasoconstriction of the urethral smooth musculature, and it is the most common treatment used to treat USMI in spayed females. If Proin fixes the problem, he may have USMI. If it doesn't, back to the drawing board.

1 members found this post helpful.

Do you have my dog? Seriously, my lab has been on Proin since he was 1 year old. Works like a charm.
    "We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals." ~Immanuel Kant

I think the dog is on proving (the ppl mentioned) The work up which has been done sounds comprehensive.

Thanks for taking the time to reply, I really appreciate it.

I should have been more clear, he is on phenlypropanolamine (PPL). He has only been on it for 5 days though, with a lot of improvement, so perhaps I should give it more time.

I like my vet and feel he is good with diagnostics, I've got a call in to him and will ask about giving it some time.

He is acting completely normally and with high energy, so I am grateful for that!

Quote Originally Posted by Alice View Post
    Thanks for taking the time to reply, I really appreciate it.

I should have been more clear, he is on phenlypropanolamine (PPL). He has only been on it for 5 days though, with a lot of improvement, so perhaps I should give it more time.

I like my vet and feel he is good with diagnostics, I've got a call in to him and will ask about giving it some time.

He is acting completely normally and with high energy, so I am grateful for that!
    If PPA has resulted in improvement, you may need to play around with the dosing a bit to get it right, so that's something to talk to the vet about as well. With PPA, it's sometimes not as easy as sticking them on say 25mg AM + PM and calling it a day.

My male dog dribbled urine, but in his sleep. I would find little puddles on his
    bed on the carpet when he got up. Took him to the vet.

The only thing that showed up in the urine test was possible signs of a mild
    infection, and his urine pH was a little off (no acidic enough I guess?).

Vet prescribed antibiotics (don't remember which one), and suggested putting him
    on vitamin C to fix the pH issue. If this didn't work, then he was to go back
    for ultrasound and further testing.

Luckily this did the trick.

Hopefully your vet has it figured out ... sounds like you might be on the
    right track.

In the meantime you can get one of those belly bands for male dogs that mark. PUt an absorbent pad in it. It will save you a lot of cleaning.
    Every mighty oak was once a nut that stood its ground.

Proud Closet Canterer! Member Riders with Fibromyalgia clique.

I had a labrador that started to leak.
    He used to hang out in the bathroom with me while I showered. He would come in and out of the shower and would drink the shower water and lick the walls.
    During the heat of the summer I will normally shower before bed. But I am one of those people that NEED my shower in the morning to wake up. So he was drinking from the shower twice per day.
    Once I stopped letting him in the bathroom with me while I showered the problem went away. The theory is he was drinking too much water because he liked the soapy taste. And between the soap residue and too much water consumption it was causing the leaking.
    Oh, well, clearly you're not thoroughly indoctrinated to COTH yet, because finger pointing and drawing conclusions are the cornerstones of this great online community. (Tidy Rabbit)

Thought I'd update in case it helps anyone in the future.

It seems like it took the Phenylpropanolamine a while to work. He is on it twice a day and if I forget he will start leaking again.

I am reducing his dosage to see how low we can get it without any urine leaking.

Thanks to all who responded!