The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Exclamation Track halter?

I KNOW there are some threads on good quality affordable leather track halters - care to point me in the right direction? The search function failed again to bring up anything relevant...
    Around $60, fixed ring on noseband, double buckle on crown piece, maybe throat latch...
    A friend told me I was delusional. I almost fell off my unicorn.

Try looking at Quillins and the Tack Shack in FL (Ocala)?
    D.
    Founder of the I LOFF my worrywart TB clique!
    Official member of the "I Sing Silly Songs to My Animals!" Clique
    http://wilddiamondintherough.blogspot.ca/

1 members found this post helpful.

Quillin or KY Horse have worked well for me. The halter from both are at a good price point and great quality.

Also, this one has a different type of brass attachment at the chin piece (instead of a ring - any advantage to that?
    http://www.tackshackocala.com/3042.html

I LOVE my Perri's Track Halters. Especially love that their oversize fits like a warmblood oversize and not a draft size. Many times I find that oversize halters that fit in the throat for my big guy have cheekpieces that are way too long. Come super soft right out of the box and last well even in group turnout with a bunch of geldings that like to play halter tag!

Quillin!! LOVE my Quillin halters

Quillin again!

You cannot beat Quillin's. They last forever, pay the $ and forever be satisfied. Once you've had one every other leather halter seems tacky in comparison.

"Pat the horse; kick yourself" - Carl Hester

You've almost got me talked into a Quillin, but how is the fit? I did find their measurement page and am using an old halter, but none of them match exactly.
    This is for a 15'2 Iberian looking horse with a "noble head" as they say so not exactly a TB, however the halter I have right now that fits him before he pulled back and broke it was from my Finger Lakes TB (came with him.)

I seem to remember that The All Knowing Gary Mundy makes halters. Maybe since you need a custom size you could get a price from him. I'm going to dig through my email to see if I have his pricing sheet.

between the mountains and the sea, North Carolina

Quillins should be able to do a custom order for you. Email them, Ralph Quillin responds really quickly. I had to change the size of my dogs collar after I'd placed the order and he was great about it.
    "Choose to chance the rapids, and dare to dance the tides" - Garth Brooks
    "With your permission, dear, I'll take my fences one at a time" - Maggie Smith, Downton Abbey

I like quillin as well as pinkstons

This is the information for the tack shop at the track. http://www.manta.com/c/mmzgt01/marty...leather-repair
    A lot of the track folks get their equipment from Marty.
    Or, they get it from the Farmington branch of CountryMax http://www.countrymax.com/Store-Locations

I can picture the woman you got your guy from, but I can't remember her name. At any rate, if you get desperate, give either place a call, and if you can send them a picture, they may be able to get you the same halter.
    Originally Posted by Alagirl
    We just love to shame poor people...when in reality, we are all just peasants.

Love Quillin Halters.

I just get the cheap Premier ones from Schnieder's. They look and feel nice and if/when my horses destroy them, I really don't mind replacing them.

I know everyone always always suggests "Quillins!!!" for these types of threads, but I have ordered 2 nicer halters from them in the last few years, and both broke within a month....with little to no use. I have thrown up my hands with Quillin halters and won't be wasting any more of my money with them.

I've had decent luck with Dover halters like this one:

http://www.doversaddlery.com/sussex-...rs/p/X1-05351/
    Chase's Mom; RIP Dezi 1/99-2/09

I recommend the Tack Shack of Ocala halter linked in post 4.
    I heard a neigh. Oh, such a brisk and melodious neigh as that was! My very heart leaped with delight at the sound. --Nathaniel Hawthorne

Tack Shack of Ocala. I was gifted one for christmas (thanks murieics!) and it is lovely.

Tack Shack of Ocala. I've seen Tack Shack and I've seen Quillin... I bought Tack Shack. They customized for me (size and a couple features) for no additional charge.
    Founder, Higher Standards Leather Care Addicts Anonymous
    Capitalization is the difference between helping your Uncle Jack off a horse and helping your uncle jack off a horse.

Quote Originally Posted by mbamissaz View Post
    I know everyone always always suggests "Quillins!!!" for these types of threads, but I have ordered 2 nicer halters from them in the last few years, and both broke within a month....with little to no use. I have thrown up my hands with Quillin halters and won't be wasting any more of my money with them.
    That's strange. The only time I've EVER had a Quillin's halter break was when I had a horse sit back--REALLY sit back--on the rope when tied. The crownpiece broke, as I would expect ANY leather halter to break in that situation.

Which is why I only buy leather halters for my horses that are confirmed good tie-ers and not likely to sit back and try to break free. It's sort of a right of passage piece of tack.

In what circumstances did your halters break?

1 members found this post helpful.