The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default F@$!!! luxated femur in donkey - any experience?

Actually luxated hip joint. My sweet old girl Indy, 25? 26? who has been through a ton and has been doing so well, is........well, not. Has been favoring right hind leg, vet stopped by and heard clicking sounds. Apparently she has taken an xray previous and did not think anything was broken,but now hearing the clicking, is not so sure. I gather that getting her on her back provide the best diagnostic shot, but that involves the risk of both anesthesia and getting up and having a catastrophic injury to her other leg. I guess Cornell has a pool, which can make that less risky, not cheap but may be worth it? And if it IS fractured.....well....SHIT!!!!

She looks great, happy and grazing, stoic of course, but loving and sweet and happy with her best friend, an AQHA.

Of course, the risk of her falling and it popping out it is horrific I gather. Surgery (an ostectomy?) does not sound practical for an older donkey (not as old as donkeys get but not young)

I love this sweet old girl! She has had love love love from mom - fed four times a day, adored. And healthy. But...I suspect we may be at the end of the road....Shit.

My one mini had a locking stifle when he was younger, and it definitely clicked. It was pitiful - he would limp, drag, jerk and carry on, I felt so bad! I gather that you think Indy's is further up however.

Regarding anesthesia - I had my mini and small standard gelded at my farm, and while they were not out as in a major surgical procedure out, they were definitely sedated enough to flip on their back and get good films. We gelded, did teeth and shots/coggins. They woke up fine, though they were younger than yours. Maybe a lighter sedation with many assisting hands for positioning/holding would suffice?

Best of luck to you and Indy.

Thanks so much PC!! The vet DID say she thought she could get the shot so we are hoping (without anesthesia and without flipping).She is a standard but small(ish)and the vet thought she could "crawl under her" andget it.

I am not sure how far up it is - sounds like the hip is where they think. And she is sore to touch it. not really weight bearing - just the toe of her right hind foot. I guess it is better news if the pelvis is not fractured, but still stuck with the displacing hip.

Not calling the backhoe yet and certainly open to any kind of miracle!

Keep us posted. Sending good thoughts to your smallish standard from mine!

I knew of a 3 yr old that broke his hip, not sure which bone, but he was on stall rest for almost a year then went onto do 3'6"-4' hunters.

So they can heal from it...