The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Saddle smells like mold

I've researched how to get rid of mold on a saddle, but how do you guys get rid of the smell? My saddle wasn't actually moldy but it stinks to high heaven of it.

I've cleaned it a bunch with regular cleaners and the smell disappears for awhile and then comes back (with a vegenance) when it's humid like it's been here in Texas.

Will the vinegar kill the smell as well? I can't keep riding home with the funk it leaves on my breeches......

Yes, white vinegar will do it.

IMO, if you smell mold. there is mold in there somewhere. Being microscopic and all, mold doesn't always give you a visual "hello!" first.
    The armchair saddler
    Politically Pro-Cat

I've had it for a few months though and it's not really presenting itself in a space where I can see it? It smells like a cave! (If that helps at all!)

It's pretty awful - I have to wear a clothespin on my nose when I'm around HRF!

I wonder if the mold is inside the saddle padding or flocking? If white vinegar isn't getting rid of it, then as MVP says, it's still there somewhere.

It doesn't take much mold to make a huge stench, and I suspect it's right inside a seam, or between the flap and the saddle, and it's not really killed off, and simply grows back. Where I work we've had mold on book covers, and some types are virtually impossible to eradicate, and aren't even visible until they grow a lot.
    You can't fix stupid-Ron White

I've been sticking all my moldy tack in the sun for a few hours after cleaning it (make sure you flip it so all surfaces get sun exposure). It will help, but if there are spores in the flocking, I'm not sure there is much you can do. Would love to hear some ideas if anyone has them!

Just an idea: they have these cleaning/gas chambers for hockey gear. It just kills all bacteria. I wonder if that would work (its $25 a load around me)

Quote Originally Posted by normandy_shores View Post
    Just an idea: they have these cleaning/gas chambers for hockey gear. It just kills all bacteria. I wonder if that would work (its $25 a load around me)
    Hmmm... I live in Dallas so I wonder if they have this? I could call and find out!!! I'm PRAYING it's not in my flocking!!! Because then the smell like be here to stay. I'll try the vinegar but I've cleaned it outside, let it sit in the sun and then put oil on it before and that helped, but only when it was warm out.....

It was pretty bad. this kid kept saying his horse smelled like mold and then there was that awful moment where I realized his crusty old horse just smelled like crusty old horse and i was the one smelling like mold....

Jo, I'll get you a personalized clothespin. I'll even bedazzle it for you!

Leather Therapy Conditioner/Restorer is currently the standalone product on the market when it comes to getting rid of mould. My saddle was chronically moldy until I tried this product and it gets rid of the mold for good!
    If it is in the flocking though, I don't know how much good it would do.
    a horseless canuck...

Try this. Get a bowl or a bucket, pour some vinegar in it. Put the container of vinegar on the bottom rack of one of those folding saddle racks. Put your saddle on the rack and cover in whole thing with plastic. Leave it over night, or longer... it's supposed to work for musty closets. Why not a saddle?

1 members found this post helpful.