Or maybe it's not. I've never seen it before and my vet had no comments. So I figured I'd bring it to COTH.

I have a coming 5 year old TB mare, that I've had for just over 2 months now. She's gone through 2 heat cycles now, and this behavior was more intense the second time. I don't care if she's weird, I just worry she's going to get herself killed...

She is turned out with 2 mares and 2 geldings. One mare is just a yearling and the other is 18. When my girl comes into heat, she goes NUTS to be with the 18 year old mare. She screams to her, follows her, grooms her, and then...tries to nurse. The 18 year old is totally content with the grooming and the following, but is really not interested in this 5 year old trying to nurse...

Any ideas on why she does this? I was worried about my mare getting kicked in the head, so when in season, the 2 of them are separated. My mare would prefer to be with her friend, but is content just being able to see her, so it seems the safest solution for all involved... just trying to understand why she is behaving this way.