The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedMarketplaceDates & Results

Default What rides like a WG solo but with a curvy tree?

Pony needs the tree that's in the custom advantage or NSC saddles, but I love the feel of the deep seat and thigh blocks on the Wolfgang.

Anyone have any suggestions? Budget maxes out at $2500, willing and prefer used saddles.

Theo Sommer

Maybe try to find a Schleese Link II in a shorter tree? IT's a little more open than the Solo I think, but it's all I could find to fit my pony (short curvy back, big shoulders). I tried 20+ saddles and this was the only one that came close to fitting

Black Country Eden is fairly close in the narrow twist feel, although leg flap block is a bit bulkier.

You didn't like the Custom Advantage? Not exactly the same feel, but I found it fairly close.

Verhan Odyssey...more thigh block than I suspect the solo has, but does have a curvy tree and a deep seat.
    Life is not a dress rehearsal.

Definitely have any local reps out to demo saddles on your horse, even if you are not buying new

You might consider going down to Olson's & trying what they have - if you can manage it, travel with horse: much more efficient

(obviously arrange in advance: shop location to narrow range of saddles to test ride, then test rides at local stable ... or perhaps, they have a saddle fitter on staff that can meet you with van full of saddles at an area stable)

Stubben has no local reps & good luck on getting the Washington fellow to respond but Diamond H Tack is a Stubben dealer (& certified fitter) & Stubben is certainly good at the curvy back & can do deep seats & lots of block

Contact Equi-products & see when they'll be out to Thunderbird - you can have a "most likely to fit" saddle collection brought out

Stubben, Prestige ... didn't think Advantage was all that curvy though -?

Thanks everyone - I haven't gotten to ride in the Advantage yet. Still waiting to demo the saddle.

I've got a Schleese Wave to try, but the channel seems REALLY wide.

Hi! Didn't they send it to you yet? Is the Constanze curvy? We may be able to work something out.

LarkspurCO: no horse's training is complete until it can calmly yet expressively perform GP in stadium filled w/chainsaw juggling zombies riding unicycles while flying monkeys w/bottle rockets...

Wolfgang Constanze

LOL Normandy, let me know if you want me to ship it up!!!
    LarkspurCO: no horse's training is complete until it can calmly yet expressively perform GP in stadium filled w/chainsaw juggling zombies riding unicycles while flying monkeys w/bottle rockets...