The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default If anyone is need of a good laugh -Flicker page "compiled" by the anti carriag crew !

The descriptions are FANTASTIC /

Certainly deserving of a few comments. Their fantastical descriptions are amazing. To bad they don't put their imaginations to good use...Disney could use them !

http://www.flickr.com/photos/9454907...n/photostream/
    "I would not beleive her if her tongue came notorized"

Link?

ETA- I see you edited in the link. Thx!
    "Is it ignorance or apathy? Hey, I don't know and I don't care." ~Jimmy Buffett

My particular favorite is the sequence of the very attractive black horse backing up described as "raring to go" , Good that they have trouble even deciphering between forward and backward motion.

2 members found this post helpful.

My favorite: "Standing up sideways"

1 members found this post helpful.

well, the black horse 'Horses Spook' certainly gave them their money's worth....
    (they toured the stables?)

Yes, the comments are priceless: "using the horse as a battering ram"
    Quote Originally Posted by fargaloo View Post
    Do you not understand how asking "why now?" is EXACTLY part of the reason why assault victims feel silenced?

Thanks for sharing! I posted a few comments. You can tell it is someone posting those photos who has zero knowledge in horses. I loved the comment about the horse being a slave to pulling the carriages. Wow oh Wow!
    Unashamed Member of the Dressage Arab Clique
    CRAYOLA POSSE= Thistle

Blkarab referring to the horses as slaves is one of their most favorite idioms. I however find it offensive and am surprised in a place like NYC that is so very culturally diverse it is accepted.

Quote Originally Posted by Lynnwood View Post
    Blkarab referring to the horses as slaves is one of their most favorite idioms. I however find it offensive and am surprised in a place like NYC that is so very culturally diverse it is accepted.
    I so agree! The horses all looked relaxed and happy in their jobs (well, except for the rearing horse)...but yes, calling them slaves is very offensive and I am surprised that it is accepted in NYC.
    Unashamed Member of the Dressage Arab Clique
    CRAYOLA POSSE= Thistle

LOVED it! Good Lord, some of the captions sounded like something lifted from the old "Batman" t.v. show. "SMASH! A HORSE can spook DANGEROUSLY", "KA-POW! A reckless driver uses his DANGEROUS horse as a battering RAM".

Seriously, how ridiculous is this?
    Sheilah

From what I understand since the rearing horse photo was taken during Clip Clop 2013 the mare is young ish 6/7 or so and just got a case of green means go ants in her pants. The driver is purported to be one of the very best and handled her little insistent attitude without skipping a beat and she settled right down into work as soon as she was allowed to go forward.

Of course telling it that way would be a boon for the skill and horsemanship of the drivers. That wouldn't serve the emotional terrorism they spew to say the masses of uninformed.

I am going to have to say that I agree that leaving the horses unattended and untied and standing up are foolish. Sure the horses are only walking but the driver falling out in some sort of emergency could be a disaster, as would a horse deciding to walk off.

I love the one about the horses should be running free in a green field. I think that the alternative is a can of alpo for most of these horses.

Quote Originally Posted by enjoytheride View Post
    I am going to have to say that I agree that leaving the horses unattended and untied and standing up are foolish. Sure the horses are only walking but the driver falling out in some sort of emergency could be a disaster, as would a horse deciding to walk off.
    I grew up riding in NYC. These horses know their job. They could do it in their sleep with or without the driver. We used to send hack horses to central park with pimps and their hos (I swear). They all came back intact.

4 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by IFG View Post
    I love the one about the horses should be running free in a green field. I think that the alternative is a can of alpo for most of these horses.
    I think more terse why to put it is that the Carriage industry is providing many horses with 2nd chance homes and careers.

From what I understand since the rearing horse photo was taken during Clip Clop 2013 the mare is young ish 6/7 or so and just got a case of green means go ants in her pants. The driver is purported to be one of the very best and handled her little insistent attitude without skipping a beat and she settled right down into work as soon as she was allowed to go forward.

Of course telling it that way would be a boon for the skill and horsemanship of the drivers. That wouldn't serve the emotional terrorism they spew to say the masses of uninformed.
    The photo sequence of the rearing horse makes it look like there were a whole series of spooks. But if you look carefully at each photo, they have shuffled them in such a way to make it look like there was more than just one or two spooks forward. They keep shifting back and forth in the sequence, making it look like the horse was all over the place. Look at the pedestrians for an idea of where any given photo is in the actual timeline of the spook. It looks to me like it happened in the space of one or two human strides, given where the pedestrians are in the cross walk.

You would think if a horse was all over in a series of spooks, at least someone would think to step out of the way.
    Sheilah

Idaho Mary Xanthos is small animal vet and she is who took those photos(she co- runs W.A.R a radical animal rights group) how about making your head spin. A veterinarian is half of who is making those absurd comments and insinuations.

She is also the same vet then when a horse stumbled and fell going around a corner , continued to video the event screaming profanities at the drivers and good doers untangling the horse so it could rise INSTEAD of helping or seeing if the animal was ok or in need of assistance.

I think more terse why to put it is that the Carriage industry is providing many horses with 2nd chance homes and careers.
    Yes, most of these horse have few other alternatives. I do not think that they are treated badly. It may differ from our expectations for our horses, but it is rather cushy compared to the life of a working horse in the 19th century.

A calm horse is always depressed, tired, malnourished or dehydrated; an energetic one is spooked or terrified and going to get beaten when it gets back to the stable, since that works with horses. Yet, some people buy it. Can't fix stupid.
    \"Non-violence never solved anything.\" C. Montgomery Burns

3 members found this post helpful.

I remember seeing that one. WOW a vet stands there taking pictures instead of helping an animal?? She would lose my business.

Idaho Mary Xanthos is small animal vet and she is who took those photos(she co- runs W.A.R a radical animal rights group) how about making your head spin. A veterinarian is half of who is making those absurd comments and insinuations.

She is also the same vet then when a horse stumbled and fell going around a corner , continued to video the event screaming profanities at the drivers and good doers untangling the horse so it could rise INSTEAD of helping or seeing if the animal was ok or in need of assistance.

I was looking for that video a while back...

I wonder how much vegan cat food she is selling...
    (isn't that a conflict of interest? being a vet and a WAR person?)
    Quote Originally Posted by fargaloo View Post
    Do you not understand how asking "why now?" is EXACTLY part of the reason why assault victims feel silenced?