The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Ours is an old thing but we need it in running order, it's bad enough when we mess it up. We had to politely refuse my DD's friend when they were going to buy a new horse although we did offer to take our truck and trailer if her dad would talk to DH. I offered some suggestions on asking the seller if they would deliver and tried to find a Uhaul place for them though.
    Courageous Weenie Eventer Wannabe
    Incredible Invisible

No way Jose.
    "We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals." ~Immanuel Kant

1 members found this post helpful.

I don't have a trailer but the owners of my barn rented their 2H to us for $100 for the day to bring my horse "home" to the barn. I cleaned it out and we put it right back under the covered storage where it stays all year except when they use it for the Christmas parade. 1 positive experience
    Gracious "Gracie," 2002 TB mare
    Facebook me!

I have Higher Standards ...do you?

The towing vehicle always carries the liability insurance since the trailer can't move on it's own (other than rolling down hill if it isn't blocked). So, the liability insurance for the towing vehicle would cover damages to other people's property if it was involved in an accident but won't cover damage to the trailer itself unless the trailer is insured for comprehensive and collision.

Personally, I wouldn't loan my horse trailer to anyone unless it was to a very good friend. I have on occasion hauled a friend's horse in my trailer with my vehicle, but did not accept compensation for it.

I was told by my insurance that the coverage on out truck covers the trailer (or whatever is being towed).

Regardless, I think I'd rather tow their horse than lend out my trailer.

Quote Originally Posted by GoForAGallop View Post
    I actually don't think that's true. The liability insurance from the truck usually carries over to whatever it's pulling. If the trailer somehow malfunctioned, they could come after you, I suppose, but if the idiot driver just puts a dent in someone's car, their insurance will take care of it.

What I DON'T think is true, as was mentioned a few times above, is that the truck's insurance will cover DAMAGE to the trailer, just damage that the trailer does. So the driver can put a dent in your trailer, and nobody's insurance is going to cover it. At least with my insurance, comprehensive/collision on my trailer was a whole separate rider/policy/whatever.

This is all just what I understand from my insurance company. Where the agents very strongly suggest that you do not lend out such high-value items.
    Yes it is true.... You can not insure what you don't own. If you don't own the trailer, you don't insure it. If you are towing it, your liability will not follow unless you are the owner of the trailer. Thus why if you rent a UHAUL, you sign a contract, and enter an agreement with a commercial agency.

Quote Originally Posted by Prime Time Rider View Post
    The towing vehicle always carries the liability insurance since the trailer can't move on it's own (other than rolling down hill if it isn't blocked). So, the liability insurance for the towing vehicle would cover damages to other people's property if it was involved in an accident but won't cover damage to the trailer itself unless the trailer is insured for comprehensive and collision.

Personally, I wouldn't loan my horse trailer to anyone unless it was to a very good friend. I have on occasion hauled a friend's horse in my trailer with my vehicle, but did not accept compensation for it.

This is only applicable if you own the trailer.

OP- I'll be the voice of slight dissent among the crowd. If you are comfortable with them borrowing it, then I would let them borrow it without charging them. If they happen to give you some money after the fact as a thank you- then so be it
    There are people who I would absolutely lend my truck and trailer out to and there are people who I wouldn't let within 10 feet of it. Only you know which kind of people they are!
    “While the rest of the species is descended from apes, redheads are descended from cats.” Mark Twain

4 members found this post helpful.

I don't loan or rent my trailer because my insurance SPECIFICALLY states that coverage will be denied under these circumstances.

2 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by js View Post
    If you are inclined to loan it, just make sure your insurance will cover it while being pulled by someone else and make sure their insurance will also cover it. Personally I wouldn't but if you are comfortable with it it's really up to you.

I would make the judgement to loan depending on 1) do you know horse loads and ships well, generally. 2) what potential benefit could you get from doing these folks a favor?

Some people just take, and take and take. (And they are lazy, neglectful, prone to lying, etc...) BUT if these folks can return a significant favor in kind, pay you a chunk of $, or somehow pay you back significantly, then it is worth it. Let's face it, having the right friends can make all the difference in this world. If these people are people that could really do you a good turn, then it makes sense to help them out/rent trailer to them.

The difference comes in making the judgement call. No risk=no reward.

The trailer is not insured. I don't even know if I *could* get it insured - it's pretty old and has lots of surface wear and tear.

The people who want to borrow it are super nice, but I think y'all have raised some red flags for me. I am not financially able to fix it if they were to damage it, or to take something like that to court if necessary.

I think better just to let it sit.

Where humidity isn't just a word, it's a way of life.

I've loaned mine out to quite a few friends (of course, mine is a gooseneck, so that limits it to people who have an appropriate hitch, which suggests they have an idea about hauling) The one time damage was done to it (and I was told the horse was a bad hauler before I agreed to let them borrow it) it was quickly repaired with many, many apologies.

I've always had the borrower sign something agreeing to return it in the same condition and stating they are liable for damages to the property of others (may not stand up in court, but it made me feel better).
    I've never asked for a rental fee, but have always recieved cash or a gift card with a thank you (and one time a lovely bridle I had been coveting was left with a bow in the trailer tack room- wow!).

Love, love, love my trailer, but enjoy helping others out, too. I guess I might change my mind if I had been mistreated, but all my loans have turned out well.

Quote Originally Posted by Lauren12 View Post
    The trailer is not insured. I don't even know if I *could* get it insured - it's pretty old and has lots of surface wear and tear.

The people who want to borrow it are super nice, but I think y'all have raised some red flags for me. I am not financially able to fix it if they were to damage it, or to take something like that to court if necessary.

I think better just to let it sit.
    In the long run you will be happier!
    "you can only ride the drama llama so hard before it decides to spit in your face." ?Caffeinated.

Years ago we "loaned"/no charge, our $30k aluminum 4 horse Featherlite to our VET to haul her claustrophobic race horse to a point to point race....She "banked" the trailer wheel covers off a pine tree that was "in the way", crumpling the whole fender in. Never said sorry, kiss my a$$ or offered ANY compensation at all!!! I will NEVER loan/rent any trailer to anybody...EVER!!!
    www.crosscreeksporthorses.com
    Breeders of Painted Thoroughbreds and Uniquely Painted Irish Sport Horses in Northeast Oklahoma

Quote Originally Posted by crosscreeksh View Post
    Years ago we "loaned"/no charge, our $30k aluminum 4 horse Featherlite to our VET to haul her claustrophobic race horse to a point to point race....She "banked" the trailer wheel covers off a pine tree that was "in the way", crumpling the whole fender in. Never said sorry, kiss my a$$ or offered ANY compensation at all!!! I will NEVER loan/rent any trailer to anybody...EVER!!!
    OH MY GOD.. I think the next time I had a vet bill I would have said, well I wont be paying you for some time to pay for the Repair bill on my trailer that was damaged by you. I would have dropped her as a vet. that is incredible gall!
    "you can only ride the drama llama so hard before it decides to spit in your face." ?Caffeinated.

Quote Originally Posted by Jealoushe View Post
    You can not insure what you don't own.
    Well, yes you can. You can get an insurance policy on a horse you are taking ' on trial' or 'on lease.'

Quote Originally Posted by Isabeau Z Solace View Post
    Well, yes you can. You can get an insurance policy on a horse you are taking ' on trial' or 'on lease.'
    You can pay for it...but the policy pays the owner...who would be the named insured

Quote Originally Posted by Sannois View Post
    OH MY GOD.. I think the next time I had a vet bill I would have said, well I wont be paying you for some time to pay for the Repair bill on my trailer that was damaged by you. I would have dropped her as a vet. that is incredible gall!
    Yes...VERY incredible gall, but the only good vet in the area!!! Expensive lesson!! We just sucked it up, but lesson learned!!! NO one borrows our trailers!! If people have the brass to ask...I have the brass to refuse - politely!!
    www.crosscreeksporthorses.com
    Breeders of Painted Thoroughbreds and Uniquely Painted Irish Sport Horses in Northeast Oklahoma

Quote Originally Posted by Jealoushe View Post
    You can pay for it...but the policy pays the owner...who would be the named insured
    I guess different companies have diff policies. When I have let a horse go on trial I have had to fight to get myself named the insured. The companies have wanted to name the person paying $ the insured. Second, they offer to name me a 'co-insured.' I have had to make a fuss to get myself named as THE insured and THE owner.

What companies do you use that are easier about this?