The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Renting your trailer out - how much? Contract?

I was approached by one of the girls at my barn about renting my older 2h bumper pull trailer for the day so her dad could take her to a horse show. I trust the dad to drive safely, and I get my trailer a "check up" every year (grease and re-pack wheel bearings, check floor, electricity, battery etc), so I know it's safe to go.

How much is the going rate for renting your trailer out for the day? I was thinking $50 would be reasonable.

I also wanted to investigate a waiver or contract stating that if something happened and there was damage to the trailer, that they would be responsible for fixing it. Any suggestions?

I would run away very fast! I would NEVER rent a trailer out unless I wanted it to be damaged!

7 members found this post helpful.

Are you insured to do this?

1 members found this post helpful.

Ya, I wouldn't do it. But then again I can't afford to replace my trailer, and as bad as this sounds anyone who is looking to borrow my trailer since they don't have their own wouldn't be able to replace it either.

6 members found this post helpful.

Run Away. No good can come of this "generosity".
    "Sic Gorgiamus Allos Subjectatos Nunc"

2 members found this post helpful.

Having LOANED my trailer out several times, from the goodness of my heart, and had it come back damage (with no offers of fixing it), I can't say that $50 would have made a difference in my general state of unhappiness.

It stays firmly parked in my yard now. It's none of your business whether or not I use it, says I to any inquiries.

If you're serious about doing it (getting insurance and what not) I'd give the folks at www.cheshirehorse.com a call. They rent out two different trailers. You could get rates, and if they're feeling chatty, ask about insurance. I'd just call your agent directly, however.

3 members found this post helpful.

I don't think the average insurance policy covers this-- it makes your trailer into a commercial vehicle. Usually, insurance is tied to the towing vehicle. So girls' dad needs to see what *his* insurance company has to say about covering any damages to your trailer hauled by him and his truck.

Even for the $50 you would charge, this is more a favor than anything else. It would be so easy to do more than $50 worth of damage to your trailer and it's very rare to have friends so good that they'll spend a lot more to fix some damage they did if they only thought the rental was worth $50.

Some people do do this in the countrified Willamette Valley, OR where I live now. $50-75 is what I see them asking.
    The armchair saddler
    Politically Pro-Cat

I did it once, for a friend who was going to a local show. She is very responsible and knew how to pull a trailer. I didn't know what to charge her, so she was very generous in giving me $100.

I did it once and got lucky, not sure I would be too keen on doing it again.
    Proud owner of a Slaughter-Bound TB from a feedlot, and her surprise baby...!
    http://i42.photobucket.com/albums/e350/Jen4USC/fave.jpg
    http://i42.photobucket.com/albums/e3...SC/running.jpg

Just politely decline due to insurance purposes... that's the truth.
    <>< Sorrow Looks Back. Worry Looks Around. Faith Looks Up! -- Being negative only makes a difficult journey more difficult. You may be given a cactus, but you don't have to sit on it.

4 members found this post helpful.

NEVER loan out your trailer! it's a bad idea and not worth it. Say what the above poster said! I stopped even hauling friends horses after a while. MY truck. and trailer. just not worth it.
    "you can only ride the drama llama so hard before it decides to spit in your face." ?Caffeinated.

I don't think you can "rent" it out legally. You would need business insurance, etc, etc.

If you want to loan it, do so for free. Don't ask for money - as soon as you do, you're getting into liability-territory.

I have borrowed many friends' traliers over the years. Always made sure to take excellent care of them and return them in better shape than when borrowed. My hubby is a truck-guy tho, so he can do that - check tires, check breaks, repack bushings, fix tail lights, etc. We even replaced the tires on my best friend's trailer when we had a blow-out on the highway during a 4 hr trailer ride. I used her trailer all the time, tho - so the cost to us to buy new tires was nothing compared to what it would have cost to buy our own trailer.

But again, nothing signed, no $ paid. We just had a "gentleman's agreement" (which honestly I don't know if we ever actually even spoke about) that I would take care of the trailer and return it in the same (or better) state.

So, I am one who would probably let a GOOD friend use my trailer...but I'd never ask for $ or have them sign any paperwork - because that would put me at liability.

You might want to ask if their driver's insurance covers trailers - and if it doesn't, then politely say "sorry". In our case, I new that as long as my husband or myself were driving the truck, our insurance would also cover whatever trailer we were pulling - regardless of whether we owned it ourselves or not.

Unless they want to purchase my trailer for twice the amount I paid, then no amount could persuade me. I leant my old one out once to a good friend, and it came back trashed.
    You are what you dare.

I have a truck that can tow a trailer, but no trailer... As much as I would love to, there's no way I'd ask a friend to borrow, or even rent, their trailer-- too much chance for accidents, hard feelings, etc.

I have a friend who has a trailer but no truck, so we have agreed that I'll tow her trailer, loaded with her horse (and mine, if we happen to be going somewhere together), but that's it.

I'm renting a trailer this summer from a licensed rental place, so another friend and I can go to an event-- $175 for the weekend is the going rate. :/
    *friend of bar.ka

"Evidently, I am an unrepentant b*tch, possible trouble maker, and all around super villian"

DO NOT rent out your trailer unless you have a commercial insurance policy. Just don't go there! If it disconnects and kills someone and the horse, you have NO coverage and YOU will be the one sued because it's your trailer.

My friend kindly let her boarders drive her trailer home so they could stay and do extra classes, they hit a curb, got a flat tire, and never offered to pay for it or replace it.

Just avoid this at all costs.

Quote Originally Posted by Jealoushe View Post
    DO NOT rent out your trailer unless you have a commercial insurance policy. Just don't go there! If it disconnects and kills someone and the horse, you have NO coverage and YOU will be the one sued because it's your trailer.
    I actually don't think that's true. The liability insurance from the truck usually carries over to whatever it's pulling. If the trailer somehow malfunctioned, they could come after you, I suppose, but if the idiot driver just puts a dent in someone's car, their insurance will take care of it.

What I DON'T think is true, as was mentioned a few times above, is that the truck's insurance will cover DAMAGE to the trailer, just damage that the trailer does. So the driver can put a dent in your trailer, and nobody's insurance is going to cover it. At least with my insurance, comprehensive/collision on my trailer was a whole separate rider/policy/whatever.

This is all just what I understand from my insurance company. Where the agents very strongly suggest that you do not lend out such high-value items.

Can you offer to drive and charge more?

Quote Originally Posted by Danger'sDelight13 View Post
    Can you offer to drive and charge more?
    That is a whole different (and arguably worse) can of worms, as OP then becomes a commercial hauler.

Quote Originally Posted by GoForAGallop View Post
    I actually don't think that's true. The liability insurance from the truck usually carries over to whatever it's pulling. If the trailer somehow malfunctioned, they could come after you, I suppose, but if the idiot driver just puts a dent in someone's car, their insurance will take care of it.

What I DON'T think is true, as was mentioned a few times above, is that the truck's insurance will cover DAMAGE to the trailer, just damage that the trailer does. So the driver can put a dent in your trailer, and nobody's insurance is going to cover it. At least with my insurance, comprehensive/collision on my trailer was a whole separate rider/policy/whatever.

This is all just what I understand from my insurance company. Where the agents very strongly suggest that you do not lend out such high-value items.
    Not always true depends on the insurance company!
    It is a bad idea OP Don't do it!!
    "you can only ride the drama llama so hard before it decides to spit in your face." ?Caffeinated.

Eek, okay, I guess I will just tell them no! It's not a high-value trailer (I think it's a 1987 model, lol), but it's safe and reliable, and I worked my ass off in college to buy it. These people are SUPER nice, and I don't think I'd have a problem with them paying for any damage, but I guess you never know.

If you are inclined to loan it, just make sure your insurance will cover it while being pulled by someone else and make sure their insurance will also cover it. Personally I wouldn't but if you are comfortable with it it's really up to you.