The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Choosing a Stallion for my TB

I have posted before, but didn't really get fantastic feedback. :lo: I have a beautiful off the track thoroughbred mare that I'm considering sending through ISR or RPSI inspection this summer with the intention of breeding her the next year. She has a wonderful canter with a lot of jump, but does not have a scopey trot. She has a lovely, sweet disposition and is even on the lazy side. I have been using her for low level dressage, and would love for her to produce a foal with dressage suitability. However, I feel like her conformation would potentially produce a hunter type. I was wondering what kind of experiences people have had breeding their own sport horses from thoroughbreds, and what stallions would be recommended. I have been looking at Ampere, but I would also like to be pointed in the direction of stallions that are a less expensive. Teach me the ways!

Here is a video of her: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mllvo0vkdA8

What is your budget for semen? Keep in mind that will be the cheapest part of producing a foal.

This is an out-of-the-box suggestion, but after Iron Spring Farm, Cornell had Juventus and he produced dressage horses, obviously, but I mention him because I saw a *really* nice hunter prospect (coming 3) by him last fall out of a TB mare. She was medium bone size. Really nice mind and conformation improvement on the mare. Excellent free jump for hunters. I would have bought her, had I not just bought a farm. I'm guessing they still have semen and perhaps it is pretty cheap?

I don't know if he sired many (any?) hunters, but he definitely didn't hurt the jump or trot on this one.
    Siouxland Sporthorses: http://slsfarm.blogspot.com/

DIY Journey of Remodeling the Farmette: http://weownblackacre.blogspot.com/

1 members found this post helpful.

We started out way way back in 1984 with TB mares for breeding and a lot of our stallions are bred to TB mares with very good results. The TB is very important in the warmblood breeding. You can register your foals with the KWPN register A without inspection too, which is helpful for those that maybe can't get their mares inspected due to distance or time.

We have a lot of frozen options which is a bit cheaper and really nice offspring from them. My Carlton Hill and Uphill foals have all received first premium and won a lot at shows and inspections, so that is a good option for more action and bigger mover for your mare. Also, we have Farrington here fresh that goes very well with TB mares. Do you have any pictures?

Kathy
    Majestic Gaits-Dutch Warmbloods,#1 USEF Dressage Sporthorse Breeder. #1 KWPN-NA Jumpers.Standing Navarone,Schroeder,Dante MG.VDL Frozen. Approval KWPN Han OLD RPSI BWP Canadian SWANA sBs SF Holst

Quote Originally Posted by Majestic Gaits View Post
    We started out way way back in 1984 with TB mares for breeding and a lot of our stallions are bred to TB mares with very good results. The TB is very important in the warmblood breeding. You can register your foals with the KWPN register A without inspection too, which is helpful for those that maybe can't get their mares inspected due to distance or time.

We have a lot of frozen options which is a bit cheaper and really nice offspring from them. My Carlton Hill and Uphill foals have all received first premium and won a lot at shows and inspections, so that is a good option for more action and bigger mover for your mare. Also, we have Farrington here fresh that goes very well with TB mares. Do you have any pictures?

Kathy
    I don't have any good pictures of her at the moment, only that video clip of her working.

Quote Originally Posted by TrotTrotPumpkn View Post
    What is your budget for semen? Keep in mind that will be the cheapest part of producing a foal.

This is an out-of-the-box suggestion, but after Iron Spring Farm, Cornell had Juventus and he produced dressage horses, obviously, but I mention him because I saw a *really* nice hunter prospect (coming 3) by him last fall out of a TB mare. She was medium bone size. Really nice mind and conformation improvement on the mare. Excellent free jump for hunters. I would have bought her, had I not just bought a farm. I'm guessing they still have semen and perhaps it is pretty cheap?

I don't know if he sired many (any?) hunters, but he definitely didn't hurt the jump or trot on this one.
    I can't seem to find a video of him, but I like his conformation. I feel like the stallion needs a big motor behind and a high neck to improve on my mare, which is why I really like Ampere. I'd like to stay in the $1500 - $2000 dollar range but the goal is to keep the baby.

She is a nice mare. She is giving you the trot you are asking for...there is the potential for more trot there. He canter is lovely...choose a stallion who will keep that canter. She is a perfectly nice mare to breed and I think if you start with the premise that if you got a clone of her would you be happy...I would be happy with a foal like her as she is a nice mare. You can GET more trot in an offspring but I would expect where the more would come from is in the energy level of the offspring...volunteering more because they have more zip and drive. Is that something you want to ride? I ask that because, as I said, your mare is giving you as much trot as you are asking for. Is that the pace and impulsion you are comfortable with and would you be comfortable with a bigger trot. She is a little tight in the shoulders but choosing exercises can improve that. Are you hoping to win a hunter flat class...maybe she would need a little longer step to excel there...but as I said there is a better step already there that training and stronger riding can bring out that is a lot cheaper than the investment in breeding. She is a very nice mare. Are you a dressage person...she is not that far from that...many dressage bred stallions will bring up the base of her neck, bring her more up hill, and add a little shape to the neck but be careful that you don't add more trot than you can ride comfortably. May of the dressage stallions can produce very nice hunter candidates as well. When you go for inspection they will give you a critique to work with. I would talk to someone like jennifer at Dreamscape Farm as they are producing dressage based hunters. AND she has a selection of stallions. Nice mare...you can take her farther than low level dressage. PatO

In regards to the Juventus suggestion for a top shelf hunter, I would say no based on a Juventus/tb that I know. I would say yes if breeding for dressage.

Quote Originally Posted by Renascence View Post
    In regards to the Juventus suggestion for a top shelf hunter, I would say no based on a Juventus/tb that I know. I would say yes if breeding for dressage.
    Like I said, I only saw that one, which I realize is not a good sample size (obviously) but she was a wow, stuck in my mind, and made me curious if there were others or if she was a random result.

OP, it sounded like you were just thinking she would conformationally produce a hunter? Does she jump like a hunter? That is rather key, in my mind. Do you want to produce a hunter or a dressage horse? I'm not saying it is mutually exclusive, but I would go from her strengths and what your #1 goal is. So if it is dressage, look for a dressage stallion who compliments her conformation strengths and weaknesses, keeps that lovely canter, and isn't a known jump killer (and has also produced hunters). Prioritize. Just my two cents.

If you are willing to spend up to 2k on semen you have LOTS of options. I was thinking you were talking quite a bit less from your OP.
    Siouxland Sporthorses: http://slsfarm.blogspot.com/

DIY Journey of Remodeling the Farmette: http://weownblackacre.blogspot.com/

Concerto Grosso. He has sired some Hunters and a lot of his foals have gone to straight dressage homes as well. Two babies going Intermediate eventing. Just returned to the show ring after 8 years in the breeding shed, he has started at novice and is a joy to watch. His foals are all nice clean correct movers, I stalked them on YouTube and all the sales sights. I have seen at least 8 if not 10 different ones (on video) at this point, he is a very consistent producer. Bred my mare to him, caught easy first cycle. Rosemarie is so easy to work with and special incentives for TB mares. The more I see of him the more I love.

BTW... I love love your mare. Pedigree please!