The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Yes I think frozen only. :-( Fresh mostly xx stallions that are old enough to have get running around event courses and in fact do are few and far between.

Quote Originally Posted by omare View Post
    "To me, it doesn't matter what the stallion has done, because I'm not buying the stallion, I'm buying what he can produce."

FWIW Hunter (by "the" successful event sire xx stallion heraldik) does actually have offsrping competing successsfully in eventing.
    Of course, there are many, many stallions who have done "it" as well as produced "it". I'm just stating my opinion on why it matters *to me* SO much more what a stallion has *produced* than what he has done, because I'm buying "that which he can produce", not "that which he has done"

Well the other WB stallion that has impressed me a ton and that I know I will use in the future is Royaldik. He is half TB but perhaps not tall enough for the OP. The Oldenburg side is Royal Diamonds. They tend to be very very pretty.

http://www.elitestallions.co.uk/inde...displayvideo=0

I watched him go at the Burghley Stallion show and this boy could move and had an outstanding jump. Was very impressive.

I will be crossing him on a TB mare and my one TB/WB mare for foals geared for eventers....likely next year. I really like him for eventers and especially like for WBs that his blood is on the bottom. I just think when coming from the mare side, you have a greater chance of getting more blood traits. I also like how his sire line, Royal Diamonds was not a tank either....and also had a lot of blood.
    Last edited by bornfreenowexpensive; Apr. 12, 2013 at 08:55 PM.
    ** The difference between genius and stupidity is genius has its limits. -- Albert Einstein **

1 members found this post helpful.

^^^^yum! I like the look of that one!

There is also Mighty Magic..

http://www.dreamhorse.com/show_horse.php
    Hickstead 1996-2011 Godspeed
    " Hickstead is simply the best and He lives forever in our hearts"
    Akasha 1992-2012 - I will always love you sweet girl.

I wouldn't cross her with Gatsby given that they are both F1 products of blood on the bottom.

Given she's a maiden and very successful, I would only pick a very proven stallion who has produced very successful eventing offspring for her first foal. I don't think Gatsby falls in that category at the moment (though given time he may). Leave the experimenting for later.

First, I love her sire (full brother to Erin go Bragh).

My choice for a first time breeding with her would be:

Irco Mena
    Cruising (or his sons)
    Flexible, a Cruising son
    A Fine Romance
    If possible (but most likely not) Cavalier Royale
    Cicera's Icewater(dam line is precious). His dam is a full sister to Cavalier Royale who was so successful on the Irish mare base (though not necessarily
    the connie mares).

I myself would go with Irco Mena.

Agreed with the others if you breed to a WB you need one with a lot of blood. I would commence researching those.

A few off the top of my head:

Hunter - by Heraldik xx, a very well regarded sire for sport. And not that common in the US. Frozen only.

Lotus T - Very modern type, out of a TB mare. Available fresh.

Mighty Magic - love the pedigree of his TB sire, love love him.

Formula One - My mare's first filly is by him, she was on a broodmare lease. Gorgeous filly, good mover, very correct and her owners call her an "old soul", very sensible at a young age. She was bred by them to be a competition horse for the woman's trainer and they absolutely love her.

Out of the box:

ROC USA - This stallion has sired some very nice Hunters and Jumpers, his dam is out of a TB mare and by Galoubet. His get are very consistent and I am not the only one who thinks he -could- produce an eventer, although it is always a gamble to what level with a stallion who hasn't done it yet ... And you're not exactly playing in the baby pool here. But I think THIS would be a great option if you really want a horse that can play in the Hunters too.

Silver Twist - by Abdullah out of a Good Twist mare. Approved AWR only due to injury.

V'Tropez - Galoubet A x Good Twist mare. Very proven competition horsem

In reality if I were in your shoes ... I would go straight TB and make sure the stallion throws a good temperament if you're concerned. A Fine Romance is known to throw nice Ammy minded horses, Triple Twist is available frozen (line bred Bonne Nuit) and her young daughter (like 4) could ride him, he was an active breeding stallion, and he was just a real gem. All of his foals got his excellent temperament and he had no lack of athleticism. He sadly passed away but they do have frozen.

Quote Originally Posted by Katis View Post
    I wouldn't cross her with Gatsby given that they are both F1 products of blood on the bottom.
    Why does that put you off? Just curious.

Quote Originally Posted by JB View Post
    Why does that put you off? Just curious.
    The results could be less predictable. An F1 cross in itself is unpredictable. Again, I would breed her to stallions who have produced upper level offspring, as it is not known how she will produce. Just my opinion. Again, for me Irco Mena.

Sure, random F1 crosses can be unpredictable. However, Gatsby has bred to enough mixed breeds that *he* isn't unpredictable

To each his own.

I have to say I agree with you. I think Percival is a beautiful horse, and honestly you can ask everyone for their opinion, but in the end you have to go with your gut. Only you know your mare the best not any of us. I have also worked with a few connemaras, and although they are on the heavier side of the ponies/small horse familys, they are still ponies/small horses, so I have a hard time being to concerned that that will bulk up your cross too much. I do think that Percival is on the heavier side, but saying that unless you've gotten to see a stallion in person it really truly is hard to get a good feeling for their build/size/bone.

I do agree with Katis that since you have a maiden mare the best cross for her would be a proven stallion, and one that has offspring out there performing at the level you hope your offspring will eventually perform at.

I think your trying to find a great type of stallion for your mare, I personally am not shy about adding the warmblood into the factor. Yes its a bit of a mixed bag, but breeding in general is a mixed bag. Even breeding type to type you still end up with something quite different. So go with your gut first and foremost.

Personally I think there are even nicer moving stallions out there with strong jumping pedigrees that could compliment your mare even more. Dressage is becoming more and more vital in eventing and having a horse who is even more natural in movements is becoming more and more vital to success in the ring. I personally think you can find even nicer moving warmblood type stallions out there who will be successful for your cross. I'm trying to think of some, but there are just SO many out there. I think keeping with the dutch lines is a great decision. What about Diamond Stud. He has huge movement, tall, and received excellent scores for his rideability and willingness, looks like he may be a really nice jumper too. And of course having said that he isn't a proven stallion, so I guess i'm really putting my foot in my mouth. lol...

goodpony on this board has some experience with some homebred WB/Connemara crosses on her Connemara stallion; she might be able to point you at some helpful examples of other successful crosses.
    If you are allergic to a thing, it is best not to put that thing in your mouth, particularly if the thing is cats. - Lemony Snicket

Yep I have a Connemara x Warmblood cross that we adore (we bred three from the same mother). I would tend to echo what others have said with respect to taking her to a TB--but there are many many quality warmblood stallions that carry a high percentage of blood.

This is my guy R. Moonrock (rising six year old)--what he isnt is terribly long legged. What he is is a rock solid amateur horse (he was USEF/ACPS Horse of the Year at the lower levels)---but he is also technically an F1.
    https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?f...type=1&theater

This is also my filly by Ardceltic Art (She is a Purebred pony 14. 3 1/2 at just three--Dam is stick measured 14.1HH). For a purebred Connemara she is pretty leggy and always has been---but I dont think everything Art has thrown has been tall--not even on horse mares. She also incidentally has an exceptional temperament. I would like to breed her to a Holsteiner in the future.

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?f...type=3&theater

Just my two small cents but I would not be afraid to breed your lovely mare to a warmblood but I would tend to look at stallions who are not necessarily super tall but who are uphill and leggy. At least out here in CA at our FEH/YEH very tall leggy types are the latest hot ticket items.

Omg, ^^^^ that filly is beautiful! I can see why you want to breed her!