The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Fly Masks Keeps Falling Off - Please Advise.....

I just started with the fly/ear masks a few days ago due to gnats and bloody ears, and for some weird reason all of my fly masks are ending up on the ground.

Most likely the horses are shaking their heads and they are coming off, with the velcro still attached.

Do I need a smaller size - they all worked last year.?.?

thanks.

Most likely, they're pulling them off of each other. I used to find all my masks piled up by the gate within 15 minutes of turnout. First thing they did was rip each other's mask off.

I finally gave up and quit using them.

Default Attach them to the halters

Makes them stay on better.

I've never found a mask with ears that stayed on. The ones without ears stay on just fine. FWIW.

I just use Swat/Roll-on/War Paint in the ears.
    Tell a Gelding. Ask a Stallion. Discuss it with a Mare... Pray if it's a Pony!

With my horses I have found they can easily rub off the model with ears. No ear fly masks take quite a bit more consistent work to remove.

You might also try a different brand. Not all brands are created equal for each horse. Maybe a different brand might stay on your horse better.

thanks COTHers - good info.

They are coming off whether the horse is turned out alone or separate. I only use the masks explicitly for the ear protection, so ones without ears wouldn't be an option. I have 3 different flymasks and they are all different brands - one was a cashel crusader and the other two I can't even remember. They all worked last year.
    Strange!

I have been using swat too, as a backup. I will try the halter attaching trick. So its not a sizing issue? - that was my first thought (even though they worked last year)

For horses that get them off I put them on under a thin leather halter.
    Click here before you buy.

I find that the Cashel masks come off really easily. The Velcro is really low under the jaw, and the elastic doesn't help. The regular old SuperMasks works best for me, ears or no ears.
    *CrowneDragon*
    As Peter, Paul, and Mary say, a dragon lives forever.

1 members found this post helpful.

Turnout halter on top of the flymask. It's the only way I've been able to keep them on.
    "We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals." ~Immanuel Kant

I think adding ears to the mask makes them easier to get off; they just seem unbalanced somehow. My guy always gets his off over his head, even when worn under a halter. I find it folder over his noseband.

I just use the old fashioned Farnam Supermask and coat his ears with either Desitin or Repel-X lotion.

The Cashels are always way too big for my Arab.

With the Cashel ones, if you run the crown piece of the halter through the slot for the forelock, they usually stay on.

If they're really dedicated to removing the flymasks, then securing the masks with a halter just results in a ripped-to-hell, unusable flymask lying on the ground! Ask me how many replacement masks I went through to learn this lesson...
    "Dogs give and give and give. Cats are the gift that keeps on grifting." –Bradley Trevor Greive

Quote Originally Posted by sublimequine View Post
    I've never found a mask with ears that stayed on. The ones without ears stay on just fine. FWIW.

I just use Swat/Roll-on/War Paint in the ears.

I do this as well. My mare doesn't seem to lose hers with ears, only once in a while. My geldings stayed on for about 10 minutes every time. He now has one without ears and gets swat rubbed along his ears for repelling the flies & gnats.
    "If you think nobody cares about you, try missing a couple payments..."

Quote Originally Posted by caryledee View Post
    With the Cashel ones, if you run the crown piece of the halter through the slot for the forelock, they usually stay on.
    THIS IS AN AWESOME IDEA!!! I'm trying this!
    "If you think nobody cares about you, try missing a couple payments..."

Personally, I think they might be irritating. They material just doesn't seem comfortable and yes, I do use them. Every year, the first few days of fly season had the boys' flymasks on the ground or being used as a tug of war toy. I got to thinking that maybe they just didn't want to wear them damn things but I wanted them to. What I did was put them on for a few minutes in their stalls for a couple of days so they could get used to wearing them again and finally when no one was rubbing their heads in their stalls with them on, I turned them out with them on and they were fine. When they finally go out with them on, they do wear them under their halters.
    I think we sometimes forget that what we want isn't always what they want and we have to show them that what we want isn't so bad. I mean really, the material is uncomfortable and you can't see very well out of them. I wouldn't want to suddenly have to wear one over my eyes and ears all day when the day before I didn't have to.
    Last year, we had a HUGE stinkbug problem and when I picked up a flymask to put it on, there were like 10 in one ear. I honestly didn't even think to check but one fell out when I picked it up and that's when I realized they were having a stink bug party in there. I can just imagine what would have happened if I just threw it on!

Quote Originally Posted by Chachie View Post
    Personally, I think they might be irritating.
    I think it just has to do with "I have an itch" and the fly mask is an innocent victim of the scratching process.

Quote Originally Posted by caryledee View Post
    Does the slot for the forelock extend to where the crownpiece sits, behind the ears?

Quote Originally Posted by CrowneDragon View Post
    I find that the Cashel masks come off really easily. The Velcro is really low under the jaw, and the elastic doesn't help. The regular old SuperMasks works best for me, ears or no ears.
    Agreed!

Quote Originally Posted by pony baloney View Post
    Does the slot for the forelock extend to where the crownpiece sits, behind the ears?
    Yes, it goes back far enough to just slip the crown piece through.