The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Ulcer Question (sorry, sorry!!)

OK so the vet will be out Friday to write a prescription and/or give me ulcer medication for my mare. However, I've had her on U-Gard for the last month until the vet could come out, just to give her some relief (I'm sure very limited). Anyway, I'm making up her next Smartpak order and I don't know if I should keep the U-Gard. Does it make any sense to have her on that while at the same time be receiving real ulcer care?

What is the vet prescribing/giving for the treatment? If its UlcerGard/GastroGard paste, then I wouldn't waste money on the U-Gard powder...the paste treatment is essentially cutting back a huge portion of stomach acid produced, therefore, there will be nothing that requires UGard to act upon.

That being said, its pretty inexpensive stuff. If you're planning to keep her on it after the treatment regimen, I would just keep it for the month so you're not stopping and starting.
    "If you think nobody cares about you, try missing a couple payments..."

I'm not quite sure at this time what the vet is going to recommend. I expressed interest in the UlcerGard/Gastrogard but he said he also has some less expensive recommendations. So I will just have to see. I suppose I can just keep her on the U-Gard if it won't do any damage, I do plan on keeping her on it afterwards because it has seemed to help her so far.

Do keep in mind (you may already know this but just in case...) that whatever he suggests for treatment, if its omeprazole, that is needs to be buffered (like the UlcerGard/GastroGard paste) or protected by a coating that won't be chewed up (like the Abler granules). Otherwise, you have omeprazole unprotected & degraded in the stomach and it will just be wasted medication.

A less expensive drug that I have used is ranitidine, 3000 mg every 8 hours for treatment. When my mare's ulcer symptoms resurfaced, I got by with 3000 mg every twelve hours and her symptoms disappeared after a few weeks.

I treated with 28-days of Gastrogard a couple of years ago and didn't use anything afterwards. The ulcer symptoms came back in a couple of months Last year, after treating with a generic, I started using U-Gard. So far, so good, and it's been 8 months. I don't know if it's b/c of the U-Gard or because I moved to a different barn, but I'm afraid to stop giving the U-Gard.

Thanks for the advice!

Quote Originally Posted by Discobold View Post
    I treated with 28-days of Gastrogard a couple of years ago and didn't use anything afterwards. The ulcer symptoms came back in a couple of months Last year, after treating with a generic, I started using U-Gard. So far, so good, and it's been 8 months. I don't know if it's b/c of the U-Gard or because I moved to a different barn, but I'm afraid to stop giving the U-Gard.
    Do you use the powdered or pelleted? I'm using powdered with good results but would prefer to switch to the pelleted, not sure if there is a huge difference between them.

I just went through the whole scoping rigamaroll today. My horse has mild Grade 1 ulcers. We're doing 28 days ulcerguard/gastroguard full tube, then 1/2 tube for 28 days. The vet said that some horses can re-develop or just continue to have ulcers if you just stop the treatment at 28 days, so we're doing the tapering thing, and I'll re-scope about 1-2 weeks into the half-dose portion of the treatment. She said she's had horses NOT heal after the gastroguard because their ulcers were propogated by H. pylori and those horses needed antibiotics to get over the ulcers. The regular vet suggested SmartPack SmartDigest Ultra as a good supplement *after* the treatment. She said she has several clients on it and it seems to work because of the particular blend of pre and probiotics. I'm also feeding alfalfa hay (good buffer) and the horse grazes on good pasture all day so he's not really a candidate for the commercial buffering supplements.U-guard is just an antacid with pre-biotics, I think. It can't heal existing ulcers, and if your horse actually does have ulcers, it seems as though it's not preventing them in your horse. Apparently, the company who makes Ulcerguard has a rebate program going on. My vet checked it today. Ask your vet to check into it and send you the forms when you see him.Good luck!
    Proud member of the Colbert Dressage Nation

Bedazzle, I use the pellets. Another boarder was using the powder and her horse stopped eating it, and another boarder who uses the powder always has pink powder residue all over the feed buckets, so I decided to go straight for the pellets. I give it twice a day, as the Corta-Flex instructions say, not once a day as Smartpak says. I just buy the whole container from Smartpak.

I did not start giving the U-Gard until after completing the 28-day omeprazole treatment.
    Last edited by TemJeito; Apr. 11, 2013 at 08:38 AM.

If he gives you something enteric coated, I wouldn't feed it at the same time as the U-Gard. Enteric coating breaks down in a neutral environment (why it breaks down in the small intestine vs the acidic stomach). I'd be worried about the antacid in the U-Gard making a neutral enough environment in the stomach to cause the enteric coating to break down too early.
    "And I saw heaven opened, and behold a white horse..." ~Revelation 19:11

My vet actually recommends NOT using any antacids while using gastroguard.

Thanks all, I will discuss it with my vet tomorrow.

She was started on Misoprotol powder 2x a day, and Ranitidine liquid 2x a day. Any thoughts?

FWIW, I have had good luck with the U-Gard powder, but not with the pellets. I wish it wasn't the case, because the powder is very messy.
    YMMV.
    As Peter, Paul, and Mary say, a dragon lives forever.

Thanks for that bit of info, I am worried about that happening. Right now she is off an ulcer supplement until her treatment is over.

I think it also really depends on if she has fore or hindgut ulcers. I had my mare on u-gard pellets for years and it didnt seem to do anything, she still got ulcers twice. As mentioned above, Smart Pak's SmartDigest Ultra (their version of succeed) is supposed to be good. I just started my mare on it about a month ago. FWIW, I spent a lot of money on gastro/ulcerguard and then later found out it doesn't do much for hindgut ulcers. You can buy ulcerguard over the counter and if given the entire tube it supposedly has the same formulation as the gastroguard. You can probably order that now while you are waiting so you can get started with her treatment. Its good to have on hand anyways.

Quote Originally Posted by bojolove View Post
    You can buy ulcerguard over the counter and if given the entire tube it supposedly has the same formulation as the gastroguard.
    Not "supposedly"...it IS the exact same thing. The only thing different is the way the dosing instructions are written on the label.

One tube of UlcerGard provides the EXACT same amount of omeprazole as one tube of GastroGard.

Using GastroGard for prevention at 1/4 tube per day is the EXACT same as using 1/4 tube of UlcerGard per day.

1 members found this post helpful.