The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Last time I spoke with AQHA about this, they were VERY friendly and helpful. The IMPRESSION I get is that they will not KNOWINGLY register with gaps in transfers, if you catch my drift!
    friend of bar.ka

On the attached link (Icecapade) I was quite impressed by the walk and turn to the vertical! Looks like fun. I know someone who got a nice Appendix this winter, will have to tell them about these derbies (If they don't already know).

Oh, wow. Thanks, Plumcreek. I actually know who the last two owners were, so it shouldn't be hard to track them down, but I didn't realize the process would be so time-consuming.
    I heard a neigh. Oh, such a brisk and melodious neigh as that was! My very heart leaped with delight at the sound. --Nathaniel Hawthorne

It would only be time consuming if you let AQHA try and find the previous owners. Doing all the contact work yourself and sending in the signed transfers would not take a long time.
    Comprehensive Equestrian Site Planning and Facility Design
    www.lynnlongplanninganddesign.com

I'd love to see a derby class at a show here in SoCal!
    Proudly Owned By Sierra, 2003 APHA Mare
    In Loving Memory of Tally, April 15, 1983 - June 2, 2010

Quote Originally Posted by Sparky View Post
    That is Hey Hotshot. He's Proud Shot (tb) on the top and Leo/Three Bars bred on the bottom, so pretty much bred to be a barrel horse . His owner made the trip from Rhode Island to Oklahoma City mainly for the Derby and we were thrilled to have them!
    Please keep checking the website for updates. There will be a $5000 class at the Olympic Stadium in Georgia International Horse Park in July and a new event at Rolex Stadium as well.
    Thank you for sharing! I knew someone on here would know!

Quote Originally Posted by vxf111 View Post
    There are some REALLY nice AQHA horses who could certainly hold their own style-wise, but I agree there aren't very many currently showing the height of the USEF hunter derbies.
    Yeah, this is the thing. AQHA Hunter Derby horses can do just FINE in your garden variety "A" hunter divisions, but the USEF Hunter *Derbies* not so much because the fences are much higher in the USEF Derbies.
    "The standard you walk by is the standard you accept."--Lt. Gen. David Morrison, Austalian Army Chief

Quote Originally Posted by Plumcreek View Post
    This one is near you:
    July 12th $5,000 Big A Circuit Atlanta, GA
    Thanks Plumcreek, I've marked it down on my calendar. I'd really like to go watch!
    "The standard you walk by is the standard you accept."--Lt. Gen. David Morrison, Austalian Army Chief

Quote Originally Posted by War Admiral View Post
    Yeah, this is the thing. AQHA Hunter Derby horses can do just FINE in your garden variety "A" hunter divisions, but the USEF Hunter *Derbies* not so much because the fences are much higher in the USEF Derbies.
    Not an expert on USEF Derbies, but the several I have watched had mostly powerful warmbloods. Not all USEF hunters can do the cadenced hunter pace over that height either.
    Last edited by Plumcreek; Apr. 14, 2013 at 02:59 PM. Reason: Changed reference to avoid more skewering.

A lot of successful USEF Hunter Derby horses are NOT horses who are in the regular hunter divisions - a lot of them come from the eq. ranks or the jumper ranks or one via the other like Seacoast Z. Obviously there are some who do the Regular Working or High Performance Hunters or whatever it's called nowadays (Brunello for a good example) but those fences are at the same height as the Hunter Derbies, 4' to 4'6".

I'll ignore the TB slag-off as that was unnecessary.

3 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by War Admiral View Post
    A lot of successful USEF Hunter Derby horses are NOT horses who are in the regular hunter divisions - a lot of them come from the eq. ranks or the jumper ranks or one via the other like Seacoast Z. Obviously there are some who do the Regular Working or High Performance Hunters or whatever it's called nowadays (Brunello for a good example) but those fences are at the same height as the Hunter Derbies, 4' to 4'6".

I'll ignore the TB slag-off as that was unnecessary.
    Agreed with all of this - and C Coast Z is a great example. He was originally intended to be an equitation horse, IIRC, and ended up winning the derby finals. Of course you have the horses like Brunello or Miss Lucy, who are doing well in the big hunters, and then there are the horses like Triompf (who I am obsessed with at the moment) who do the Grands Prix and the derbies successfully.

The TB slag-off made me .

1 members found this post helpful.

I started the Huntfield derby series with my best friend David Warner in 2012. The AQHA Huntfield derby series is based off of the USHJA National derby system (3'0 with 3'5 options) not the International derbies (3'6-4'6). The subtle difference between the national derby and the Huntfield derby is the height is 3'0 with 3'3 options, and we offer a handy score from 0-10. The derby series was brought in to give us more classes, showcase the talents of our horses, bring in new membership, increase viewer participation, attract new sponsors to the AQHA, and make horse showing fun again by offering a low key environment with amazing prizes. We gave away over $60,000 in cash and prizes all last year in our series.

If you have not experienced an AQHA show I think you would be pleasantly surprised by the quality that our horses possess. The AQHA brings in 4 specialty judges at the Open/Amateur World Show, who are typically "R" judges. I typically get called by most of them after the show, and ask me if any of the horses they have judged are for sale. They make the nicest adult amateur and children's hunters, along with the ability to compete in the National derbies. We have had circuit champions at the HITS show for the past two years in the adult and children's division. I also had a horse that was reserve circuit champion in Thermal in the Small Junior division.
    When I go to a USEF show, I am always known as the Quarter Horse girl (I grew up doing AHSA) and it never fails that someone will say "That's a Quarter Horse?" I think the days of the 15.1 hand, short strided, scope less QH are over. AQHA is a great organization that is family friendly and especially affordable. Try it sometime:-)
    Last edited by dreamfld; Apr. 14, 2013 at 12:24 PM. Reason: Indio to Thermal

5 members found this post helpful.

dreamfld, thanks for replying! I in NO way whatsoever intended to slag off either QH or the AQHA Hunter Derbies. You've put a lot of hard work and thought into creating a user-friendly program that can beyond question produce "A" quality hunters. I think your Derbies ROCK, and if I were an ambitious young rider I would be all about them! I've seen a lot of video since y'all started them and have been continuously impressed by the quality of the horses and the riding.

I think where Plumcreek and I got our wires crossed is on the subject of whether the AQHA derby competitive horses would be competitive in the *International* derbies. Most of them IMO would not, simply b/c of step and scope, but by the same token there are plenty of WBs and TBs on the "A" Circuit doing the hunters that likewise would not.

My 4' to 4'6" days are lonnnnnnnnnnnnnnnng behind me LOL and I definitely do intend to catch the AQHA Hunter Derby at GIHP in July, I've always wanted to see one in person!

[QUOTE=War Admiral;6938806]
    I think where Plumcreek and I got our wires crossed is on the subject of whether the AQHA derby competitive horses would be competitive in the *International* derbies. Most of them IMO would not, simply b/c of step and scope, but by the same token there are plenty of WBs and TBs on the "A" Circuit doing the hunters that likewise would not.
    QUOTE]

Sheesh! I certainly did not intend to "slag-off" TBs. Bad reference choice by me to allude to hunters that do not have the size, power, step and scope of the (predominately WB) horses that dominate the more prominent Derbies because of the fence size and width. Hey, my two Appx. QHs are 3/4 and 7/8 TB.

People have commented that the AQHA Derby horses seen in the YouTube videos might not be competative in "real" Derbies, without the caveat that a lot of USEF hunters also would not, as WA says above.