The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by showidaho View Post
    I totally agree...They are not currently showing at the derby height, but that isn't offered at AQHA shows (the derby classes are 3') so perhaps they can move up, but that isn't offered at present.
    And I am not conviced there aren't some nice AQHAs out there who COULD do it. I just think it's unlikely to see much switching back and forth when horses who primarily do the AQHA shows, no matter HOW NICE, are never regularly jumping anywhere near as high at shows.
    ~Veronica
    "The Son Dee Times" "Sustained" "Somerset" "Franklin Square"
    http://photobucket.com/albums/y192/vxf111/

The AQHA has started to include some USEF judges on their roster for the hunter divisions, so the gap in performance standards between AQHA and USEF hunters may not be as wide as in previous decades.

They may not be jumping the same height, but they seem to be shooting for a similar look.

There is a LOT of support for the Huntfield Derby series within AQHA. I am thrilled to see the support it has received and I hope the style of movement carries over to the rest of the AQHA hunt seat world. I know - wishful dreaming.
    Only two emotions belong in the saddle: One is a sense of humor. The other is patience.

The AQHA o/f horses are getting much closer to the "open" hunters in the way they're ridden, thankfully. The u/s horses - not even close!

3 members found this post helpful.

Here is a link to the RVD channel video that shows highlights from this years finals. Its the whole episode so you'd need to go to about the 18 minute mark to see the Derby highlights.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WEw2k...eature=mh_lolz

I think many of the horses could easily cross over. I've been doing the AQHA thing for a bit, and have a horse that could cross over if we really wanted to.

I know there has been some chatter about the height of the jumps... you have to understand that there is no option above 3' for an amateur or youth in AQHA, and the creators of the Huntfield Derby wanted to make it as participant friendly as possible. Since I only show AQHA, I am not as "exposed" to the 3'6" (or even handy type or derby courses in the USEF world) but have plenty of miles in the AQHA Amateur ring. The 3' Derby height (with 3'3" options) really makes it easy for someone like me to get my feet wet without being overfaced and drowning. The courses were really great, with many options and questions, but still very inviting at the same time. The only horses that have to show 3'6" at "regular shows" are our open Senior Horses (6 and older), so that height would really limit the participation since most of us non-pros aren't doing that regularly.

Although I did not show at the Huntfield Derby finals last year (we had a long week showing open and amateur at the World Show, where Huntfield finals were held), I helped out with the draw party and with the course construction. The whole thing was just beautifully organized and executed... from the very early Derbies to the prizes at the Finals. Those of us that show AQHA hunters are so fortunate to have this series!! The list of sponsors and prizes is just phenomenal. Lainie and David have really done something super special, and I cannot wait to see what this year brings!!!

5 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by doublesstable View Post
    Out of curiosity I opened this thread.... out of curiosity I watched Huntfield Derby videos on youtube.

And due to the fact I rode QH's in the 70's and Appy circuit in the 70 and 80's I was expecting something really - - - well - - - bad.

But was very surprised to see this - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6TujKdCCI44

NICE riders and NICE horses. Easily could win at the A's.
    Let me say that the Huntfield Derbies are totally worth supporting. Lainie DeBoer and David Warner have led a terrific volunteer-driven effort that has resulted in wonderful events with great sponsors and prizes. **3** Butet saddles at the Finals; Open, Amateur, and one to a random draw from all entries throughout the year. I volunteered at the AQHA World Show Huntfield Derby Finals, and along with many others, showed up at 3 am to help set the course (look again at the above video - that was a NICE, lush course). Other volunteers made free Strawberry/Chocolate Crepes and Mimosas for the ENTIRE group watching the event. AQHA officials wandered over to watch, and I think they were quite suprised at the quality of this totally volunteer event at their World Show.

Many of the Huntfield AQHA Derbies throughout the year also offer a 2'6" Novice and Select division (that is the AQHA novice and Select *over 50* height), which attracted 70 year old Roger Call (owner of the gray horse that won the Finals) to ride the horse himself in one.

Sure, not a "real" Derby height, but many more can and are participating and having a great time, not to mention getting a prestigous event where one can ride a real flowing pace on happy horses. (And by the way, the two AQHA/USEF-carded judges said, at the Draw Party, that they would be looking for "brilliance" . Haven't heard that word at many AQHA shows.)
    Here is another video of Wyoming trainer Hilary Carrel from Colts Unlimited. Watch all the way to the Handy round - Hilary knows handy!
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kRuzaO5oBnU
    Last edited by Plumcreek; Apr. 12, 2013 at 02:32 AM.
    Comprehensive Equestrian Site Planning and Facility Design
    www.lynnlongplanninganddesign.com

2 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by NMB View Post
    Here is a link to the RVD channel video that shows highlights from this years finals. Its the whole episode so you'd need to go to about the 18 minute mark to see the Derby highlights.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WEw2k...eature=mh_lolz
    Thanks for sharing!
    There's a big bay at about the 18:30 mark who is just STUNNING! Wish I knew how he/she were bred. I probably wouldn't have guessed that it were an AQHA horse just by looking. That course looks like a blast to ride!

1 members found this post helpful.

For those who want to learn more and the 2013 schedule, here is the new Huntfield AQHA Hunter Derby website:
    http://www.huntfieldderby.com/index.html

Quote Originally Posted by Plumcreek View Post
    Here is another video of Wyoming trainer Hilary Carrel from Colts Unlimited. Watch all the way to the Handy round - Hilary knows handy!
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kRuzaO5oBnU
    Apparently!

This has been a great thread. I've often thought these AQHA derbies would be something I could aspire to with my own Appendix mare. Maybe someday--they look absolutely wonderful and like something a decent amateur rider could handle. I also love the idea of the over-50 division. I know they even have an over-50 national show. Too bad it's so far away from me--in Texas!
    I heard a neigh. Oh, such a brisk and melodious neigh as that was! My very heart leaped with delight at the sound. --Nathaniel Hawthorne

Some of those horses look like they could absolutely be competitive at the height for our hunter derbies. Lovely horses!
    Sorry to see xtranormal is gone
    For funnies, search youtube for horseyninjawarrior!

Www.caringbridge.org/visit/mysecretgarden

Quote Originally Posted by Dewey View Post
    This has been a great thread. I've often thought these AQHA derbies would be something I could aspire to with my own Appendix mare. Maybe someday--they look absolutely wonderful and like something a decent amateur rider could handle. I also love the idea of the over-50 division. I know they even have an over-50 national show. Too bad it's so far away from me--in Texas!
    This one is near you:
    July 12th $5,000 Big A Circuit Atlanta, GA

Thank you, Plumcreek--there are several AQHA shows in my area every year. I've never been to one because my horse just isn't ready. She's green, nervous, and spooky, and we're trying to get her used to showing at the local level first. Maybe someday, though. I do love the idea of the "select" classes which would be perfect for me.
    I heard a neigh. Oh, such a brisk and melodious neigh as that was! My very heart leaped with delight at the sound. --Nathaniel Hawthorne

Quote Originally Posted by Lazy-Pony View Post
    Thanks for sharing!
    There's a big bay at about the 18:30 mark who is just STUNNING! Wish I knew how he/she were bred. I probably wouldn't have guessed that it were an AQHA horse just by looking. That course looks like a blast to ride!

That is Hey Hotshot. He's Proud Shot (tb) on the top and Leo/Three Bars bred on the bottom, so pretty much bred to be a barrel horse . His owner made the trip from Rhode Island to Oklahoma City mainly for the Derby and we were thrilled to have them!
    Please keep checking the website for updates. There will be a $5000 class at the Olympic Stadium in Georgia International Horse Park in July and a new event at Rolex Stadium as well.

I wish they would come to Texas! I am trying to get my AQHA guy's papers up to date just so I can do AQHA shows. He has done USEF all his career and no one cared until me. Love the idea of the Masters at 2'6". I am 60 now and my horse of choice is a QH (or an App with those nice QH lines).

I also wish the AQHA derbies would allow my Apps, but I guess that will never happen.
    friend of bar.ka

Tothenines--The organizers of the Huntfield Derby are considering opening entries to all breeds at the NSBA world show in Tulsa this summer.

Thanks Sparky! Need to get on that AQHA paperwork! BTW, this QH is 16 now, but was a very successful 3'6" hunter in the USEF (I think he had a few Zone 7 or Texas year end high points). YAY Quarter Horses!
    friend of bar.ka

Yeah, I need to do the paperwork, too. I think I have to join AQHA and get myself registered as my horse's owner with them. I think the AQHA lost track of my horse two owners ago.

Quote Originally Posted by Dewey View Post
    Yeah, I need to do the paperwork, too. I think I have to join AQHA and get myself registered as my horse's owner with them. I think the AQHA lost track of my horse two owners ago.
    As this is a common scenario in H-J land, I just called AQHA to see if there is one person who specializes in these cases - there is not. AQHA advises calling the Registration department to see what you need to include in a letter to them to get things started. They do try to trace the ownership chain down, which can take considerable time with 30 day and 60 day letters, and if you send them the original papers, those papers become the property of AQHA until a valid transfer is issued, and not given back if it is determined that the horse's ownership and registration is in doubt.

So make that phone call soon and establish the person in the Regist department who will be working with you. Might be a good idea to try and find the last recorded owner on the papers and see if they can help from their end by signing a transfer to you if the intervening undocumented owners' whereabouts are unknown.