The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Clarksdale, MS--the golden buckle on the cotton belt

Default AQHA now has Hunter Derbies

I was reading an AQHA Journal and discovered that they have now got a version of the Hunter Derby called The Huntfield Derby. Last year was the first year.

Lots of money in AQHA Showing. Does it seem likely that AQHA Derby Horses could cross over?
    "I'm a lumberjack, and I'm okay."
    Thread killer Extraordinaire

I know I'm comparing apples to oysters here, and I don't have a clue exactly what I'm looking at....with that preface out of the way....

I just watched videos of the Huntfield Derby and the 2012 International Hunter Derby...I'm not so sure the more traditional set have anything to worry about as of yet until the more appendix-type AQHA's get out of the strung out Western Pleasure look, drive off the back end and get lighter on the front end.

2 members found this post helpful.

There is a trainer out near where I live who has a lot of AQHA horses who do very well in the USHJA derbies in addition to the AQHA classes. Her horses are lovely!!

3 members found this post helpful.

There are people who do AQHA shows who could easily cross over with some of the horses and do well at USEF shows. The AQHA Derbies look like lots of fun. They seem to give out good prizes in addition to the money, and I believe they recognize the highest placing Non-pro, etc. The courses look great. I think they even used the squirrel jump last year when they had a Derby at the Kentucky Horse Park!

1 members found this post helpful.

Where they've got all Hell for a basement

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uy5HLH9nG7E

Just watched this video and was very pleasantly surprised! This horse could definitely hold its own in the "open" hunters.

4 members found this post helpful.

Isn't there a poster on this board that has a love grey horse that does both A circuit and the AQHA shows/derby.

The AQHA derby final definitely had some nice prizes. I think both the top pro and top amateur got custom saddles.

I think the jumps are a bit smaller in the AQHA version. I think a lot of the horses are just lovely, though.
    I heard a neigh. Oh, such a brisk and melodious neigh as that was! My very heart leaped with delight at the sound. --Nathaniel Hawthorne

They have a few different fence heights at the derbies depending on the class. I was so excited to see that they are doing it, and yes the prizes offered were wonderful! Some of these QH's do hold their own at USEF shows.
    Proudly Owned By Sierra, 2003 APHA/ PtHA Mare

I show my AQHA gelding at both USEF and AQHA shows. He holds his own on the 'A' circuit, but we do the AA, not the AO's. Generally, people at the USEF shows are surprised when I say he's not a warmblood. I am proud of the direction AQHA hunters is going and I'm proud to have a QH. I hope they continue to move forward to dispel myths about the breed!

The hunter derby is a new idea to the AQHA crew, but they are embracing it and trying to make it better. Lainie DeBoer and David Warner founded the series and have been instrumental in it's success.

As to the heights - generally AQHA Amateur and Youth Working Hunter is 3' while Senior Working Hunter is 3'6" (that is the open class for horses 6 years and older). Most of the Derby classes are 3'.

Quote Originally Posted by goodlife View Post
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uy5HLH9nG7E

Just watched this video and was very pleasantly surprised! This horse could definitely hold its own in the "open" hunters.
    Thanks for the link, I too was surprised! Although I admit that super lush tail arouses my suspicions.

That Linda Crothers can really really ride

I agree! I really enjoyed watching that video! So nice.

Lovely in any venue

Clarksdale, MS--the golden buckle on the cotton belt

Those are certainly tiny jumps. They don't look 3' to me. Lovely horse and very nice riding without the hunter perch/flop.
    "I'm a lumberjack, and I'm okay."
    Thread killer Extraordinaire

There are some REALLY nice AQHA horses who could certainly hold their own style-wise, but I agree there aren't very many currently showing the height of the USEF hunter derbies.
    ~Veronica
    "The Son Dee Times" "Sustained" "Somerset" "Franklin Square"
    http://photobucket.com/albums/y192/vxf111/

4 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Button View Post
    Thanks for the link, I too was surprised! Although I admit that super lush tail arouses my suspicions.
    Suspicious of what? Fake tails are common in both aqha and usef hunters.

6 members found this post helpful.

Sounds fun to me, and I happen to have an AQHA sitting in the pasture with my other critters.....hmmmm maybe I should pull her out from under my hubby and pop her over some more jumps....

I rode an AQHA hunter who would certainly have held his own in an open show. Although the way they trained him for the hack was ridiculous, he could clean up over a course. You had to push a bit to get the striding, but you don't notice that when watching him. Their H/J classes are looking better! I was very impressed by that video.

Out of curiosity I opened this thread.... out of curiosity I watched Huntfield Derby videos on youtube.

And due to the fact I rode QH's in the 70's and Appy circuit in the 70 and 80's I was expecting something really - - - well - - - bad.

But was very surprised to see this - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6TujKdCCI44

NICE riders and NICE horses. Easily could win at the A's.
    "Don't saw on your horses mouth it's not a piece of wood" ~ GM

Quote Originally Posted by vxf111 View Post
    There are some REALLY nice AQHA horses who could certainly hold their own style-wise, but I agree there aren't very many currently showing the height of the USEF hunter derbies.
    I totally agree...They are not currently showing at the derby height, but that isn't offered at AQHA shows (the derby classes are 3') so perhaps they can move up, but that isn't offered at present.