The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Half lease rules/suggestions?

I am currently thinking about half leasing my horse to help pay for expenses and I'm wondering what the 'rules' are with a half lease.
    I have never done this before and I'm wondering how long a lease generally goes for, what type of things to go in a contract etc.

I'm clueless about this so any advice is appreciated
    Please support S. 1406 to amend the Horse Protection Act and Prevent all Soring Tactics to the Tennessee Walking horse!
    https://www.popvox.com/bills/us/113/s1406

There are no set rules. The rules are whatever you put into your lease agreement.

Time line can be month to month or a set number of months or a year. Include penalties for early cancelling and an out if it is not working for you.

When I half leased I included how many days per week the leaser could ride. Restrictions on who could ride and who the leaser was allowed to train with or take lessons from. If they are going to use your tack include what tack they can use and what consequences are if they break something by being negligent.

2 members found this post helpful.

And what activities they can do, ie only arena riding or arena riding and trail riding, if showing, how far away and what shows, only jump X days or only jump X heights. Since you are using it to offset costs, include who pays for what, ie X dollars to you per month, X percentage of shoes/regular vet care, which will be due on what rough schedule, and who pays for injuries or illness.

I'd have them pay you and not the barn if they are paying for part/all of that, so you know it's getting paid. We've read horror stories on COTH about leased horses being seized by a barn for non-payment, because the owner didn't know the leaser wasn't paying the board, or at the very least being presented with a very large and unexpected bill. Of course, this only applies if the horse is boarded.
    Last edited by TheJenners; Apr. 10, 2013 at 09:39 AM. Reason: typo, it's early...
    Aisha, my heart from 03/06/1986 to 08/22/2008.

COTH's official mini-donk enabler.
    Odie, aka the Evil Burrito, is on Facebook.

1 members found this post helpful.

Finally...back in civilization, more or less

Things to consider when arranging a half lease:

Generally having a set schedule makes things easier for both parties. If the riding time is going to be split evenly, then usually each rider gets three days per week, and the horse gets the 7th day off. You want to specify whether those three days are set in stone (ie, you ride Tues, Thurs and Sat, and I ride Wed, Fri and Sun) or you are OK with scheduling in a more flexible way. In either case, address how interruptions to the schedule will be handled: if you want to show the horse over a weekend, can you do that ("taking" one of your leaser's days, so to speak) and if so, do you reduce the lease fee, allow them to ride an additional day the following week, or take the whole weekend or whatever. You also want to address issues like what happens if the horse becomes ill or lame or needs something (shots, for example) that mean the horse can't be ridden for some period of time.

Also address how the situation will be handled if the horse is injured by your half leaser. If they crash your horse through a jump and the horse winds up badly hurt... who will pay the vet? Can the leaser cancel the arrangement at that point, leaving you stuck with vet bills, maybe the need for hand walking or other care? How will things be handled if the horse is injured through no one's fault - say, a pasture accident - and requires extensive or expensive vet care? Will you require insurance on the horse (usually a very good idea) and if so... who pays for that?

Definitely specify who can make decisions about tack, shoes, vaccinations and so forth and specify who will be obligated to pay for what. If it's a performance horse and the half leaser decides that the horse needs hock injections... can they go ahead and schedule that? And who pays? What happens if that person doesn't pay? (Can apply to board, training, vets, farriers, etc... write it ALL down, along with what the consequence will be if the agreement isn't honored.)

Also think about the training issues. Will you allow or require the horse to be in a program with your trainer? Any trainer? Maybe not your trainer but only one you approve of? Will you allow the half leaser to take the horse off the property? Use the horse in shows or clinics? What happens if the horse is a really nice hunter and two months into the lease, the half leaser decides to see how he'd be at barrel racing?

Lots to think about ... but it's worth taking the time to discuss and decide those types of issues in advance, and include them in the contract you produce to cover the half lease.
    We move pretty fast for some rabid garden snails.
    -PaulaEdwina

Hi there,

I recently entered into a half lease with a 12 year old girl leasing my mare. I have everything, and I mean everything, in writing. Anything that you would tell the leasee when they ride, put it in there. I even have it specified in my lease contract that she is to have her boots or polo's on every single ride. She can only jump with a trainer in a lesson and can only do it 2 of the 3 rides a week. She can only show her twice a month with at least a two week notice. I pay all her supplements, vet and we split the farrier. If anything happens to her in their care, they are take care of all the vet costs associated with it. The lease I have was for a year with a 90 day trial with a 30 notice of cancellation if it was not going to work before the end of that trial period. If you want to send me your email, I can send you over my contract that you can edit if you like.
    Hope that helps!
    ~Heather

How detailed you need to be probably depends on who the leaser is too. I've half leased a couple of times. I'm a responsible, middle-aged, adult who has owned horses myself in the past. When the owners leased to teens, they had much more in the contract (down to things like cleaning tack after rides and sweeping up mess they make the barn aisle!). ANYTHING you want to be crystal clear and be able to enforce should go in there, no matter how small an issue it might seem...it could become a big one down the road. Because I don't need to be told to clean up after myself, my lease contracts were much shorter...mostly dealing with financial arrangements, liability and notice periods. My contracts have not required lessons, because I take them every week for my own purposes. I know some people want to part lease and just fool around, or they don't have the money for lessons, so if it's important to you that the horse say in a program and that the leaser is supervised regularly, include required lessons in the contract.

Oh, and the other thing to address is expectations regarding "make up" rides. Me, I look at a half lease as if I own a horse three specified days a week, so if the weather is terrible or I'm sick or go on vacation and miss one or more rides...too bad for me, just as if I had a whole horse. Some other half leasers expect to make up every missed ride because they feel they are paying by the ride, not paying to support half a horse. I've seen this cause hard feelings, because constant demands for makeup rides can cut into the owner's ability to ride their own horse on a regular basis. Get expectations regarding that out of the way and document it, as that can really cause some hard feelings. Now, my "owners" have been nice and reasonable people, so if I was having a string of bad luck, due to crappy weather always seeming to fall on "my days", they'd offer to switch around some so I could get a ride in and, I do the same thing for them if they are getting the short end of the stick on "their days".

One more (I'm apparently full of suggestions based on experience ). For a "free" (expenses only) part lease...Depending on what services are provided where you board or how far the barn is from your house/your work schedule, you might want to include something about responsiblity for helping with non-riding tasks. I feel that it's my responsiblity to take my turn holding for vet or farrier or soaking/poulticing an abscess, hand walking when necessary, etc... If you want the leaser to help with that kind of thing, include it as that's not generally something most part leasers (as opposed to full leasers) will necessarily consider something they need to do for the privilege of having access to a horse.

As everyone is saying, get everything in writing. I think mine was about five pages - covered how many days a week, vet/farrier, notification to terminate, showing, permission to take horse off property (ie, that it needed to be obtained beforehand), and that the payments in no way construe any sort of ownership - all decisions about horse's health to be made by owner. There are also in case of emergency contacts along with insurance information.

As a leasee, I prefer a flat monthly fee with vet, farrier and supplements already factored in. It is nice to know what the budget is... and not be writing a lease fee check, then a farrier check, etc, etc (mostly because I am OCD and always get nervous about forgetting one). As the owner, I think that is also a good system because you have the money routinely and aren't always forking out on your own for shoes and shots.

One thing to perhaps think about is horse attire - tack and blankets. This lease had an understanding that whoever was with the horse when it broke, replaced it. The owner bought most of his blankets and I bought some of the lighter weight items (horse is a blanket killer so these are consumables rather than keepers!).

Thanks for all the information! So many things I didn't even think about to put in the contract!
    I do have one other question (kind of stupid) when you half lease a horse out and decide on the number of rides are they always equal? And if you do set days is it alright if say I went on the same day as the leaser, not to ride, and not at the same time, but groom, some groundwork, maybe just spend a little time with him? Is it strictly "this is your day, that's mine" type thing? Or can it be written into the contract?
    Please support S. 1406 to amend the Horse Protection Act and Prevent all Soring Tactics to the Tennessee Walking horse!

Quote Originally Posted by heathermac246 View Post
    Hi there,

I recently entered into a half lease with a 12 year old girl leasing my mare. I have everything, and I mean everything, in writing. Anything that you would tell the leasee when they ride, put it in there. I even have it specified in my lease contract that she is to have her boots or polo's on every single ride. She can only jump with a trainer in a lesson and can only do it 2 of the 3 rides a week. She can only show her twice a month with at least a two week notice. I pay all her supplements, vet and we split the farrier. If anything happens to her in their care, they are take care of all the vet costs associated with it. The lease I have was for a year with a 90 day trial with a 30 notice of cancellation if it was not going to work before the end of that trial period. If you want to send me your email, I can send you over my contract that you can edit if you like.
    Hope that helps!
    ~Heather
    Thanks, sent you a pm.

Quote Originally Posted by Thoro View Post
    Thanks for all the information! So many things I didn't even think about to put in the contract!
    I do have one other question (kind of stupid) when you half lease a horse out and decide on the number of rides are they always equal? And if you do set days is it alright if say I went on the same day as the leaser, not to ride, and not at the same time, but groom, some groundwork, maybe just spend a little time with him? Is it strictly "this is your day, that's mine" type thing? Or can it be written into the contract?
    (I sent you a PM too )

For mine, they live really close to the barn. I have given them the Ok to go groom, graze, "play" with her when I'm not there. I don't really care if my mare gets hacked twice in a day if they want to ride. But, most of the time, they just go to hang out and I'm quite alright with that. My mare loves the kid so it works out well for me

Quote Originally Posted by Thoro View Post
    You can make your deal however you'd like, as long as it's still attractive enough to the other party to get a good leaser to sign up. A half lease is typicall, just that...half, so each rider will usually ride three days a week, with the horse having one day off. You could also do a quarter or third lease and prorate the expenses accordingly.

I have never ever had a problem with my "owners" being at the barn or with the horse whenever they so desired, even if I was there as well...it is their horse after all!. Owners have never minded me visiting and hanging around on days not "mine" for riding either. I've liked my owners and enjoy spending time with them at the barn, as well as the horse. Sometimes we've even split rides, where one of us will ride for 1/2 and hour then the other will ride for half an hour. Last owner and I even split an extended lesson once in a while, so we could each take a turn standing with the instructor and watching the other, it was quite helpful. I do know one teenaged girl who was uncomfortable with the horse's owner watching her ride, I don't think I'd want to be in a lease relationship (from either side) if that were an issue.

Think about the emotional ramifications too. I'm still quite close to the owner of a former half-leased horse and she's always been quite honest about there being the occasional day when she found it hard, emotionally, to share her horse, even though we got along great, were respectful of each other and she needed, timewise, to part lease her horse out at the time.