The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default I'll take one of these..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kJd-U8w_6bw

what a brilliant horse, and a great ride by the rider through all that.. Looks even better in slow motion.

3 members found this post helpful.

Wow, brillant save by that horse and awesome job by the rider of staying on through that
    "You are under arrest for operating your mouth under the influence of
    ignorance!" Officer Beck

1 members found this post helpful.

I don't know, that was almost a rotational fall, the rider seems to be all over the place and the horse keeps saving him time and again and still keeps trying to get the job done, with that rider not quite getting it all together.
    That is what you may call a bad trip.

That is a horse who knows and loves his job. That is a rider in need of advil (or OTC pain relief of her choice). And clearly run outs are not a concern with that guy.....

I do hope that was just an unfortunate and rare incident though.

We only get to see 5 seconds of riding from a bad angle to judge the rider's skills before it all goes to hell in a hand basket, and I'm not good enough to make any judgement calls on that.

Staying on through the rest after being tossed that far forward and with no stirrup impressed me. I would have been picking grass out of my teeth for sure.

I agree with Bluey on this one. Fantastic horse, but geez, it sure could have been nasty and looks like they dodged a bullet on that first jump.Yikes!
    "My doctrine is this, that if we see cruelty or wrong that we have the power to stop, and do nothing, we make ourselves sharers in the guilt.”
    ― Anna Sewell

Quote Originally Posted by gaitedincali View Post
    We only get to see 5 seconds of riding from a bad angle to judge the rider's skills before it all goes to hell in a hand basket, and I'm not good enough to make any judgement calls on that.

Staying on through the rest after being tossed that far forward and with no stirrup impressed me. I would have been picking grass out of my teeth for sure.
    Also, since the rider and horse's name is clearly visible at the beginning of the video, it's easy to Google them and find out that they do a pretty respectable job. He's hardly a novice rider, just had a rough go.

2 members found this post helpful.

Nice save, and Good sticky stuff on the riders part, Great horse!
    No slouch. I would have been off after the first almost fall!
    "you can only ride the drama llama so hard before it decides to spit in your face." ?Caffeinated.

Quote Originally Posted by GoForAGallop View Post
    Also, since the rider and horse's name is clearly visible at the beginning of the video, it's easy to Google them and find out that they do a pretty respectable job. He's hardly a novice rider, just had a rough go.
    Anyone can have a bad time and that was not one of the better rides out there, although it sure could have been much worse if things had not kind of worked even when they should not have and surely the rider was part of keeping both upright thru the hairy spots.

My first event, I was riding a very big, heavy set Hannoveraner I had only ridden once before, that rode like a Mac truck, that was utterly safe.
    Saying that, I could have stopped him anywhere if given space, but rating him, forget it.
    We went a bit more forward than I would have preferred and probably had spots we looked much worse than that.
    Mostly he ignored the acrobatics I was performing at times on his large back.

It is never easy, at any level, some times just looks easier than others.
    I have heard such horses as the one I rode called "diaper horses", they cover your behind.

Look at the textbook form over the second fence. This is a smart, careful and game horse. When the chips are down, he puts his game face on and goes.
    The armchair saddler
    Politically Pro-Cat

Quote Originally Posted by mvp View Post
    Look at the textbook form over the second fence. This is a smart, careful and game horse. When the chips are down, he puts his game face on and goes.
    Doesn't he though? Ears pricked and all business the whole way through,
    His attitude, I got a job to do, Dad, you with me??
    "you can only ride the drama llama so hard before it decides to spit in your face." ?Caffeinated.

My heart stopped at the first fence....and only in the slo-mo can you appreciate all the skill (and that's why they put lard on the front legs)

amazing horse (1 million should not be able to buy that!) and pretty skilled rider, taking the second jump on the neck, no stirrups, no reins....scooting back through the pond, 3rd jump still no stirrups

That could have been really bad right at the beginning....

Simply Amazing!
    Quote Originally Posted by Mozart View Post
    Personally, I think the moderate use of shock collars in training humans should be allowed.

Quote Originally Posted by Sannois View Post
    Doesn't he though? Ears pricked and all business the whole way through,
    His attitude, I got a job to do, Dad, you with me??
    I really disagree with Bluey on this one. We can't see enough of the lead up into the fence to see what went wrong but from the moment things started going south, both the horse and the rider really impressed me here. The rider gave the horse his head and got out of the way for the initial save, stayed in balance as well as could be imagined given that he was thrown in front of the saddle by the intial rotation, managed to redirect the horse's attention to the jump, got back in the saddle before the last jump and got his stirrups back in time to gallop away. Given that this was a compbination with related distances, I was very impressed all around.

Yes, many horses would have sooner or later quit, that was getting to be a bit too hairy, but that one kept on keeping on, he knows his job and is getting after it, however it can get it done.

I wonder if someone has posted that in the eventing forum, there are those there, this hits close to home, that can really appreciate that.

Wow. What a horse. Rider did quite an amazing job of sticking.

If that rider was my kid that horse would have a home for life.
    \"Tomorrow is a new day with no mistakes in it.\" Anne of Green Gables

I saw this video for the first time a while back and audibly gasped lol That horse is fantastic and i'm almost 100% sure I would have thrown myself off the horse in shear terror if I had not already fallen off lol

oh and not to pop any bubbles but he never did get his stirrups back and actually falls off right where they end the clip >.<

Awesome horse and rider. Exactly what you want in an event horse. Thank god it happened in stadium and not cross country but my little QH saved my a$$ BIG TIME at one of our first training level events back when I was a teenager. Came into a triple combo, 2 stride to a one stride I think, all three set to the max 3'3". I can't remember what I did as it was close to 20 years ago but I screwed him up into the first fence and he didn't think he could make it but then at the last minute he just went for it from a standstill. I have a good seat so I stayed on but was useless for giving him more gas to finish... That horse had more heart than any I've known (still does too ). He then proceeded to jump each of the next two fences from barely more than a standstill. Didn't so much as skim a rail and we went on to have a clear course. Gotta love the ones that take over in a pinch and give 110%!

Quote Originally Posted by Stushica View Post
    oh and not to pop any bubbles but he never did get his stirrups back and actually falls off right where they end the clip >.<
    Uh, nope. He stayed on and finished 11th in the OI division.

Amazing save by both horse AND rider -- though it looks like they had a bit of a rough day overall

This one has been posted a few times in the Eventing forum but it's always fun to see again.

ETA: The 1-fall and out rule was implemented in May 2008 and this was in Sept 2008 -- so his 60 penalties were not from a fall.
    Last edited by fargaloo; Apr. 10, 2013 at 10:10 PM. Reason: another thought..