The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default 'Champion' Hunter/Jumper

I notice a lot of sales ads where horses are listed as 'champion' hunter or jumper.

At what point do you call your horse a champion?

I personally would never but am curious of others opinions.

Hopefully would be the fact they won a championship or something..

Okay I have to edit my post because I either didn't read the OP original post correctly, or can blame the fact I cannot see well anymore but it does say hunter OR jumper

Maybe I was just reverting to the other thread about H/J I have had a long day and probably just need to go to bed......
    Last edited by doublesstable; Apr. 10, 2013 at 12:20 AM.
    Train like you have never won and show like you have never lost!!!

Quote Originally Posted by doublesstable View Post
    Hopefully would be the fact they won a championship or something.. but what makes me go "uhhh" is the miracle that the same horse could be a champion in both Hunters then Jumpers
    Hey now...

1 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by supershorty628 View Post
    Hey now...
    Well, we all know your wonder mare IS an exception

I am embarrassed to say I didn't think of her

There are a lot of horses that have Championships in both hunters and jumpers.

2 members found this post helpful.

Windward Farm, Washougal, WA- our work in progress, our money pit, our home!

It says to me that they do more than win the occasional ribbon in the hunters or jumpers, that they are capable of putting in solid, winning rounds over and over. Now...if those championships are in rated or schooling shows against 3 horses, that's another story!

And, yeah, there are more horses than you know who can be champions in both rings. Junior hunters double up on the jumpers sometimes.
    Proud member of the "Don't rush to kill wildlife" clique!

Quote Originally Posted by Calvincrowe View Post
    And, yeah, there are more horses than you know who can be champions in both rings. Junior hunters double up on the jumpers sometimes.
    That's awesome... I am possibly being short sighted because of what I see or maybe what I pay attention to... LOL

Sorry to de-rail the OP thread!

A lot of people say their horse is a "Champion" when they win a year end award at the local saddle club or schooling show... I mean, I GUESS, they aren't really lying..

2 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by doublesstable View Post
    That's awesome... I am possibly being short sighted because of what I see or maybe what I pay attention to... LOL

Sorry to de-rail the OP thread!
    That post caught my eye too - I'd love to hear some names, because I don't see any horses doing double duty in my area.

My horse won his Mini Prix (out of at least 30 horses), was reserve champion in his jumper division, as well as placing in the Hunter Derby (out of a good 30 horses) in one show (and he was kinda out of shape as he hadn't been my main show horse that season.) He certainly isn't the fanciest, most amazing horse out there (I have limited funds to buy horses). But he won me a good bit of prize money and ribbons in both hunters and jumpers (as well as eq when I was younger) at A rated shows.

City of delusion in the state of total denial

When I read "champion hunter," unless the ad then specifies what the award was for ("Zone 3 Children's Hunter Champion"; "County Association Year End Open Hunter Champion"; "multiple championships in X division at Y association shows") I assume the advertiser means "once won a tricolor at some show or other in unspecified company."

Under those guidelines, I could call my decidedly not-a-hunter horse a "champion hunter," because he once filled a hunter division for my kid sister and her friend. We circled in both jumping classes. Both other riders left their brains at home and had a stop in each round, so my horse won both over fences classes, never mind that he'd had a technical refusal in each. He was thus awarded the tricolor out of 3 animals with both his trips having scored a 40. Yup. That's my champion hunter.

In other words, when you're advertising, say what he won, or don't say anything.
    "I'm not always sarcastic. Sometimes I'm asleep."
    - Harry Dresden

Horse Isle 2: Legend of the Esrohs LifeCycle Breeding and competition MMORPG

5 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by ynl063w View Post
    That post caught my eye too - I'd love to hear some names, because I don't see any horses doing double duty in my area.
    Triompf is the first one that comes to mind for me, he does the big hunter derbies and the smaller Grands Prix classes.

Quote Originally Posted by supershorty628 View Post
    Triompf is the first one that comes to mind for me, he does the big hunter derbies and the smaller Grands Prix classes.
    Is that the one that just did the WEF Derby? Because that's one that immediately came to my mind.

Perhaps I'm just being haughty, but if I were to see "Champion Hunter" in an ad I'd probably start looking around for "Runner Up Peanut Roller" or the like. If you're shopping within the HJ industry, you specify by division, not discipline. Though, even then, I would find something like "Champion Childrens Hunter" a little odd & vague... champion what? Year End? One show? Big difference. It is more common (IMO) to refer to them as a "Winning Childrens Hunter".
    ExchangeHunterJumper.com
    Quality hunter, jumper, pony & equitation sale horses available worldwide, follow us on Facebook, Twitter or YouTube.

There is also a difference between putting champion in the ad title/text and selecting that box on the ad form.

Some of the ad sites (Equine.com, I think others too) make you pick a discipline (incl H/J) and then an "experience level." Choices include "champion," "competed or shown," "trained," "prospect," etc.

I event, and we don't even have champions in the same way other disciplines do, but I have selected that for horses that have long and successful show records, because "competed or shown" does not even imply success, just attendance. At the same time, I'd never put "champion" eventer/jumper/whatever generically into an ad. Perhaps champion at X show in the Y division.

Quote Originally Posted by dags View Post
    Is that the one that just did the WEF Derby? Because that's one that immediately came to my mind.
    Pretty sure he was in Gulfport, but he won the Int'l Derby at Pin Oak II two weeks ago and was 9th in one of the prixs that week. If I remember correctly, he won one of the prixs at PO last year.

My first mare also competed very sucessfully in both hunter and jumper rings. Won me many division championships at shows right upto 3ft6 hunters and 1.15 jumpers. Was also winner of year end Provincial championships a couple of times. Not uncommon around here to see horses competing in BOTH rings!!
    Go Ahead: This is a dare, not permission. Don't Do It!

Quote Originally Posted by LulaBell View Post
    Pretty sure he was in Gulfport, but he won the Int'l Derby at Pin Oak II two weeks ago and was 9th in one of the prixs that week. If I remember correctly, he won one of the prixs at PO last year.
    Ahh, I was thinking of Fieona... the f threw me
    ExchangeHunterJumper.com
    Quality hunter, jumper, pony & equitation sale horses available worldwide, follow us on Facebook, Twitter or YouTube.

Quote Originally Posted by LulaBell View Post

He was in Gulfport with Holly Shepherd. Did not go to WEF. He was at Pin Oak. He won the $25,000 Adequan Grand Prix Week II of GP this year. And then a hunter derby as well, I think - wasn't there that week. Fantastic horse.

My trainer's son had a large junior hunter that placed at Harrisburg and got into all the indoor shows and Devon, and could double and do the junior eq and the children's jumpers all last year. One of our local AA horse shows even has a special trophy with a night class where the horses have to do a jumper course and a hunter course and the overall winner gets the prize.
    .אני יכול לעשות הכל על ידי אלוהים

Quote Originally Posted by Beam Me Up View Post
    There is also a difference between putting champion in the ad title/text and selecting that box on the ad form.

Some of the ad sites (Equine.com, I think others too) make you pick a discipline (incl H/J) and then an "experience level." Choices include "champion," "competed or shown," "trained," "prospect," etc.

I event, and we don't even have champions in the same way other disciplines do, but I have selected that for horses that have long and successful show records, because "competed or shown" does not even imply success, just attendance. At the same time, I'd never put "champion" eventer/jumper/whatever generically into an ad. Perhaps champion at X show in the Y division.
    I just listed my horse and this was my exact problem. He's gone to some local unrated shows and gotten a few tricolors - but I felt like it was misleading to say "champion" in his experience level for hunters. On the other hand, he has gotten good ribbons and "competed or shown" doesn't reflect that.

I ended up choosing "competed and shown" since I specify results in his description and he is only 6 this year.

ETA: Not at all on the level as the others mentioned, but you see more crossover between hunters and jumpers at lower levels. My 3'6'' jumper brought home many championships in both the children's jumpers and the children's hunters, mostly at bigger C shows or smaller A shows.