The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Pedigree Help? Possible Eventing Prospect.

A friend has a cute TB she is going to be selling, and I got on her today and my first thought was EVENTER! Really forward but super SMART with a great mind, but she's still pretty green. I was going to help her out a bit riding and marketing the mare, so I was wondering if anyone had any thoughts about her suitability for eventing based on her pedigree. I unfortunately don't have any photos yet.

http://www.pedigreequery.com/key+rae

Thanks so much!!
    Eventing It Up In The Great White North! A girl, a horse, and a helmet cam!!
    http://albertaeventer.blogspot.com/

Pedigree is good for sport. Rainbow Quest is Blushing Groom/Herbager/Raise A Native all good and commonly found in British Sport Horse breeding. I believe Gone West is proven and I like to see Royal Charger, Our Native and Cornish Prince. The worst part of the pedigree is the ton of repeat Raise A Native/Native Dancer because they are not the sturdiest horses in a pedigree. So that is the potential bad...why they are not considered very sound I am not sure but they didn't have long careers and the issue might be managed just by letting them fully mature before they are put into serious work. Raise a Native has had many accomplished relations to international level eventing so there is a lot good but 4 times in a pedigree is a lot. PatO

1 members found this post helpful.

Clarksdale, MS--the golden buckle on the cotton belt

I just read a John Sparkman article on Danehill (linked on the Racing Forum), and he says that Natalma was back at one knee and Danehill was back at BOTH knees. Since Natalma was by Native Dancer, perhaps back at the knee is a Native Dancer trait to go along with the very muscular body and weak tendons. Both Native Dancer and his grandson, Northern Dancer had muscular bodies and retired from racing due to tendon problems--or so it is said. With this horse, I'd want to make sure of two things--1) that she hadn't been straightened as a foal; and 2) that she had very correct conformation from the knee down.
    "I'm a lumberjack, and I'm okay."
    Thread killer Extraordinaire

1 members found this post helpful.

Thank you so much!!! That is very helpful This mare actually has a bit of a crooked leg, one front toes out from the knee down more than the other, which is part of the reason she hadn't raced. She was thoroughly vet checked and x-rayed and she was 100% clean and sound after she came out of race training. The vet couldn't find anything indicating she would ever be unsound on it, it's just not "correct." She has been doing flat work and some started some low jumping and everything is good so far, so fingers crossed I guess!

Thanks a lot
    Eventing It Up In The Great White North! A girl, a horse, and a helmet cam!!
    http://albertaeventer.blogspot.com/

With a horse that toes out, I would really pay attention to the flight path of the leg, as they can often interfere--the leg will swing in as it travels. Just something to look out for!

I do really like Blushing Groom bred horses