The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Barn Recommendations South Florida

I'm looking for a barn in the South Florida area that has a dressage arena. Full board or pasture board. I am primarily in Coral Gables, but can travel up to Davie or down to the Redlands. Moving my green horse in a couple of months and starting to research good barns for her.

The only barn that I know has a dressage arena is the Equestrian Saddle Club on SW 192nd St. in the Redlands. I've never boarded there, so I obviously can't give an idea of how boarding/care is. The property is maybe around 10 acres and has a sand jump ring, sand dressage ring, and a large grass jump field. The stalls are a bit on the small side (maybe 11 X 11) and it's a back-to-back shed-row-style barn. The trainer there is a hunter/jumper guy (I want to say Pepe, previously from Southwinds).

And while it doesn't have a dressage arena, Woodrose Ranch has a very large sand arena with stadium lighting. Again, the stalls are a bit small, but they're all matted and have ceiling fans and auto-waterers. Oh, and it's owned by a large animal vet. That's also in the Redlands.

I board at Signature Stables...it is an awesome facility in Plantation Acres, which is about 2 minutes north of Davie. The entire neighborhood is an equestrian community and very horse friendly.

It is on 5 acres, 25 stalls, 10 paddocks. Nice lush grass everywhere. The ring is nice, but a little bit small, it is about the length of a small dressage arena but a bit wider. The horses get a minimum of 2 hours of turnout a day, more if needed. It is a family run business, the wife and her mother are the overseers, and the husband is a Plantation police officer, and in charge of his SWAT division, so everyone knows not to mess with the property

Directly across the street is a huge 4 acre grass field that is free for use, it is a community protected park that is open for equestrian uses, so if you don't only want to ride in the ring for a change of scenery , it is nice and level and cut and maintained by the city.

The barn is completely indoors, 12 x 12 stalls, light and airy when the doors are open, fans in every stall, two 12 x 12 tack rooms, 3 grooming areas. It is a mix of show disciplines, hunter/jumper, dressage, and Arabian show horses. Everyone gets along well, we are like a family, have holiday parties and cookouts, it really is a blast. I have been there for 4 years. When my boy was showing in Wellington, my entire barn, and I mean over 20 people, came up to support us. It was amazing!

What is even more special about boarding here is that in just a 10 minute hack up the road, is a show facility that is open for public use!!! There are 3 HUGE arenas, 2 small warm up rings, and a few mile trail area within the showgrounds. This is the main reason we all do not mind the ring being a bit on the smaller size (even though it does serve its purpose well if you need to get a quick ride in). There are shows there usually 2-3 times a month, ranging from an all hunter/jumper show, to a performance show that offers lower level dressage classes, to a dressage schooling show. It is a very very nice facility with 100 stalls. You can ride any day of the week there, as a property manager is always on site. And for those interested in jumping, the 3-4 days before the jumper shows, full courses with fancy jumps are set up, so you are allowed to use them at your convenience for schooling. The barn also travels to rated shows as well.

The barn owner will feed whatever feed you want, although the standard here is Triple Crown, but she can get anything. They feed AM, Lunch and PM, with plenty of very nice Orchard and Timothy mix hay, or plain Timothy if you prefer.

We have a resident hunter/jumper trainer who is also a large R judge on property, but outside trainers for any discipline are welcome as well.

As you can see, I LOVE this facility

Link attached! PM for more detail and cost!

http://signaturestables.us/Signature...s/Welcome.html
    Samantha Werner

There is something about riding down the street on a prancing horse that makes you feel like something, even when you ain't a thing. ~ Will Rogers

Also, I'm not sure if these guys have a dressag arena, but you might want to check them out -- https://m.facebook.com/pages/Heavenl...138334624&_rdr

And I know this is not super helpful, but I know there is a lady in Homestead who has a dressage arena with mirrors. Becky something-or-other? She apparently hosts dressage clinics on occasion. I remember driving by there, but I can't for the life of me remember exactly where it is. Still, maybe somebody else will know!

Also, I'm not sure if these guys have a dressage arena, but you might want to check them out -- https://m.facebook.com/pages/Heavenl...138334624&_rdr

And I know this is not super helpful, but I know there is a lady in Homestead who has a dressage arena with mirrors. Becky something-or-other? She apparently hosts dressage clinics on occasion. I remember driving by there, but I can't for the life of me remember exactly where it is. Still, maybe somebody else will know!

Default Barn Recommendations South Florida

Quote Originally Posted by hllywd View Post
    I'm looking for a barn in the South Florida area that has a dressage arena. Full board or pasture board. I am primarily in Coral Gables, but can travel up to Davie or down to the Redlands. Moving my green horse in a couple of months and starting to research good barns for her.
    The place where I board has a HUGE arena. Full size dressage arena together with the other side that has jumps. Most of the boarders are dressage riders. Southwest Ranches --easy access from I-75.

305-778-9219

Dressage trainer (silver medal qualified) runs the place.

Thanks for all of the information. I am moving my girl in early June so this is helping with the research!

Quote Originally Posted by Quickstar View Post
    The place where I board has a HUGE arena. Full size dressage arena together with the other side that has jumps. Most of the boarders are dressage riders. Southwest Ranches --easy access from I-75.

305-778-9219
    Dressage trainer (silver medal qualified) runs the place.
    Thanks! I'm planning on moving in early June. I'll try to call sometime this week.