The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Bareback Pads (recommendations please!)

Hello Cothers! Hope everyone is enjoying this spring day!

So I'm looking for recommendations on bareback pads in the Eventing forum rather than the Off Course forum because I'm hoping to get slightly more specific input.

Boyfriend and I are moving quite a ways from our home-base, to an area neither of us are familiar with but which sounds like a great place to check out for a while. Unless we decide that our new location is going to be a permanent base for us, I am leaving my current herd at home and plan to pick up a new project horse to go with my new project home

I currently live in a pretty darn horse/eventing friendly part of Area I and will be moving to a considerably less eventing-oriented area, though is luckily only a few hours to several big name trainers/trials- it's there, just maybe not as condensed as I'm used to in AI That being said the western/trail population is much larger, as well as the stereotypical "backyard" scene, and there seem to be quite a few rather nice horses being sold rather cheaply. It's definitely a different environment, but I'm pretty excited for the new challenges and opportunities that I'm confident it will provide.

So at this point you're probably going "Okay, Girl is talking long enough- what does this have to do with bareback pads?!" Fair enough. I'm leaving the majority of my horse things- including saddles, up here with my horses, which means that I'll need to get some new tack for said project horse, which brought me to the idea of buying a pad rather than yet another saddle.

The reasoning:

A LOT of the horses I'm looking at/have seen advertised are "projects" in every sense of the word- very little if any time under saddle, and while most are simply under-muscled, some I've seen are bordering on under-fed as well. They WILL be changing shape, and I'd like one piece of equipment that will, at least during the initial shape-shifting months, be suitable without needing a saddle fitter out every other week.

Many of the horses I'm considering/will be considering are currently going in what I'm guessing is somewhat ill-fitting or inappropriate tack- I'd like to be able to strip that down and really see what I'm dealing with before purchasing anything. Bits are an easy fix and don't take up much space in the moving van- saddles not so much Llikewise many of these people only have western saddles, and as funny as it may sound- I'm really not super comfortable in them, I can't feel WHAT is going on underneath me. I'd rather be on an unfamiliar or unruly horse bareback when I can anticipate things, than in a big western saddle. Call me weird.

What I'm looking for:

I'd consider myself a fairly experienced event rider, and have dealt with plenty of green, rude, excitable, etc horses- though I will admit USUALLY in a saddle. I'd love something that gives me a little more security than traditional bareback.

Horses have withers. I have a vagina. Do the math. Ideally I'd like both to be serviceable when all is said and done. While space is an issue (going from a big farm to a medium sized apartment! eek), I'm planning on bringing a fleece pad (wither relief), half pad, probably some baby pads (BF will not even notice they're so small!) and most likely my super awesome dressage girth (mostly because I'll miss it otherwise).

This is more of a long-term, until Project Horse picks a shape investment, so I'd like something that is more suitable for daily riding, and probably including more than just flatwork.

Because this isn't a saddle I'd really like to cap the price at $150ish, less if possible. Moving is expensive, and if I'm going to spend $300-$500 I could buy a decent used saddle and might as well just have it re-fitted.

Also, is it too much to ask it not be hideous? I don't need cupholders (that's what boyfriend is for), and I'll break out the nutty colors when we start going XC.

I've heard good things about pretty much every brand of bareback pads (because YES- I DID do a search before posting this!). But Best Friends and Thinline are maybe leading the pack? Who knows.

Sorry for making you read a novel- perhaps those of you in school can get extra credit? Thanks!
    "Sit back and prepare to be pissed off!"

Eventer, Ballerina, Dancer, Model, and Waitress Extraordinaire (cos a girls gotta eat!).

I was at a barn a few weeks ago where a woman was using a Thinline bareback pad. I was impressed. It seems to be more substantial than the average bareback pad, but isn't so substantial that it gets in the way of being safe and comfortable.

The woman said she would never use another brand.
    Sheilah

We have a thinline bareback pad, one of the few that actually has wither clearance. In the short amount of time that I used it, I liked it a lot (used it on a rather broken mare who was extremely sensitive when it came to her back and saddles)

I just bought the Best Friend Delux bareback pad from Stateline. It is black, and I am soooo pleased with it. It is super awesome and has gotten a lot of good reviews. Not slippy at all (sort of honeycomb backing) and the top has two suede-like surfaces. It is sculpted, not just a flat piece of fabric. Not too thick, not too thin. Love it...

I really like the looks of the Thinline/Comfort Plus pads, and am a huge fan of Thinline products already. Any suggestions of where to buy? When SP or the local shops don't carry something I'm at a loss! Need to branch out my online shopping

For those of you who have used the Thinlines, do you ever pair it with another pad for any reason? Either a little extra cushion or because the material rubbed? It's important to note that Boyfriend thinks I'm fishing for reasons to bring more stuff
    "Sit back and prepare to be pissed off!"

Eventer, Ballerina, Dancer, Model, and Waitress Extraordinaire (cos a girls gotta eat!).

I'm pretty lazy. I use a blanket surcingle and a regular saddle pad.

Probably not the best for greenies though!

over your budget but best bb pad I've ridden in was the Parelli one (not wanting to start a trainwreck I am not a Parelli-ite) It is a super thick felt material with suede top and a western style cinch girth. I liked it b/c it was thick I was used to the cheap fake fleece ones that feel like you are sitting on a saddle pad.