The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Canadian SPCA Sells Seized Horses At Auction

Part 1:
    http://globalnews.ca/news/463798/com...p-for-auction/

CALGARY- Two dozen horses have been put up for sale at a livestock auction in High River, after nearly 60 neglected and malnourished animals were seized from a southern Alberta farm.

The Alberta SPCA seized the starving horses back in January, and some were so sick or aggressive that they had to be euthanized. 29 were sent to foster farms where they racked up $10,000 in medical and feed bills. But instead of being sent to forever homes, they were put up for auction—and potential buyers included those looking to sell horse meat.

“I’m very mad,” says Cheyenne Conacher, who helped rehabilitate some of the horses. “It’s a disgusting situation…it’s a waste of a life.”

In a last ditch effort to save a pregnant mare called Alice from the slaughterhouse, Conacher decorated her, hoping Alice would appeal to a big-hearted buyer.

Fortunately she was scooped up for $300 by three women, including a horse first aid expert, an equine massage therapist and a horse trainer looking to buy a horse for her young son.

It was a happy ending for Alice, but not for all of the seized horses.

Livestock dealer Ed O’Reilly purchased 15 horses at the auction.

He will likely keep and train three of the foals, but says at least seven of the horses will not be going to a greener pasture.

“Good ones will get a new life and the other ones will end up at the kill plant. That’s the way it’s always been,” O’Reilly explains. “You can’t save them all.”

The SPCA’s practice of making rescue horses available to meat buyers has outraged some in the community. On Tuesday, the SPCA responds, in part two of this Global News exclusive series.

Part 2:
    http://globalnews.ca/news/466483/exc...parks-outrage/

CALGARY- The Alberta SPCA is explaining why dozens of seized horses were sent to a recent livestock auction in High River, causing outrage.

The organization seized nearly 60 starving horses from a farm near Lethbridge back in January, and some were so sick or aggressive that they had to be euthanized. 29 were sent to foster farms where they racked up $10,000 in medical and feed bills.

The SPCA then offered the animals up at an auction in early April—and potential buyers included those looking to sell horse meat.

“I think it’s horrendous that this is happening today, that we haven’t had an emergency adopt-a-thon of these horses,” complains horse enthusiast Keely Dobbyn. “I know lots of people that would go out and try and rescue these animals, and instead this is the easy way out.”

However, the SPCA maintains that selling livestock at auction is more transparent than through private sales.

“Some people could come back to us and say ‘why didn’t you give me the chance to get this horse?’ If it goes to auction, then everyone who attends the auction has the ability to bid on the horse,” explains Roland Lines, communications manager for the Alberta SPCA. “[Horses] are part of the livestock industry, so the possibility of horses going for meat is certainly there. As an agency, we don’t take a preference one way or another.”

Five of the healthiest horses were adopted out, while the others who needed rehabilitation were sent to foster homes, then to market. A livestock dealer who purchased 15 of them confirmed that he will sell at least seven of them to a kill plant in Fort Macleod.

Critics say it’s wrong to help rescued horses, then make them available to the horsemeat industry.

“It’s 2013,” says Dobbyn. “This is horse country and we love our horses and we need to treat them better.”

\"Horses lend us the wings we lack\"

2 members found this post helpful.

No better than CBER.
    "We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals." ~Immanuel Kant

3 members found this post helpful.

So the horses that somebody really wanted brought $300. The rest didn't. The great thing about auctions is that whomever puts up the most $$ gets the horse. If the bleeding hearts wanted the horses, they had an equal opportunity to cough up the bucks. This SPCA actually has it right - they are livestock.

10 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by red mares View Post
    So the horses that somebody really wanted brought $300. The rest didn't. The great thing about auctions is that whomever puts up the most $$ gets the horse. If the bleeding hearts wanted the horses, they had an equal opportunity to cough up the bucks. This SPCA actually has it right - they are livestock.
    So why didn't they send them to auction before they racked up $10K in feed and medical bills? Fattening them up for the kill buyer?
    "We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals." ~Immanuel Kant

20 members found this post helpful.

The SPCA is getting bad reviews all across the country for this and for other cases where they did absolutely nothing to help. They only acted in our area after 20 horses died of starvation and the media was called. THEN, they investigated... but were only too happy to let a rescue take over (through owner surrender) 14 horses... then they went back to doing nothing. Or rather keep talking BS. There are still over 20 horses at that farm... in the "care" of the owner.

They have totally lost track of their mission... they just like the fluffy stories of cats and dogs. Bigger animals can fend for themselves it seems.

6 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by LauraKY View Post
    So why didn't they send them to auction before they racked up $10K in feed and medical bills? Fattening them up for the kill buyer?
    Sounds about right.
    Proud owner of a Slaughter-Bound TB from a feedlot, and her surprise baby...!
    http://i42.photobucket.com/albums/e350/Jen4USC/fave.jpg
    http://i42.photobucket.com/albums/e3...SC/running.jpg

So I have to agree with Red Mares on this one.
    The ladies were able to purchase the pregnant mare.
    The horse dealer purchased the rest and he clearly stated that he would train a few and the others which weren't good prospects would go to slaughter.
    The ladies could also have bought them all, but chose to take only the pregnant one. Guess they were more interested in a 2for1 deal than saving the others. The system clearly worked as designed. What did you think should have happened?

"However, the SPCA maintains that selling livestock at auction is more transparent than through private sales"

Hum, I wonder if they might start considering auctioning off dogs and cats if its all about "transparency". Geesh.

7 members found this post helpful.

The SPCA made it very very clear they did NOT have the money to spend. They went deep into their wallets for this one and they did have several verts volunteer their time and examinations. Farriers also helped out. The weather was very cold..in the minus 40's when they were seized and they had little body fat.

You Rara's make me laugh. All of you are negative bubbles who condemn evereything anyone does if it actually accomplishes something.

They advertised the sale. CHQR and many radio stations gave it publicity for free and with all that...there were not the buyers. On the good note...if they do go to slaughter the fields are open...they will have grass hay and new spring grass for several months. They will live the life of a horse...eat and have horse thoughts. The last 4-6 weeks they will be moved into one of the FEW (not hundreds like the Toronto Star reported) grain feedlots...

You have the mans name..the dealer...if it is inportant to you...send him money.. The SPCA has over 600 cats waiting for homes. I should know..I have TEN of them here that I provide free care, kitty litter and food for. They have almost the same number of dogs.

For the RARA no one can do anything right..even when they actually do something. ...your solution would be? oh..wait...Laura, Jenn, Angela have NO solutions...just complaints. No wonder no one takes y'all seriously

4 members found this post helpful.

I am trying to find out who the owner was. Oh Oh...prepare yourself Rara's as it shoots down one of your solutions. I have been told they are either from the Standoff or Peigan INDIAN reserves. This is where they take their horses..and turn them loose to frolick in the knee deep grass and play with thumper and bamby oh oh...in November it RAINED and then froze so the buffalo grass was hard to get to...no snow however and all creeks, frozen.

This is the life of the horse turned loose as nature and the Rara's want it. Mother nature makes horses into coyote and wolve meat. It is a violent violent death after weakening starvation.

Guess to the RARA that is better than a dead bolt after the horse has been fed up for several weeks to months or even the 96 hour slaughter horse.

They do get a last dinner.

Tell me again what you solution is...your examples are dropping like flies

I hate to generalize but a LOT of these Indian Reservations are prime offenders in neglecting horses and overbreeding FUGLY horses. They just let them all run loose in many places with various bad outcomes (from the horses point of view!). There is not an inkling of planned breeding. They are on their own if they get sick or injured or old. Survival of the fittest but these horses aren't necessarily all that fit and they aren't all on very good "pasture". So no that is NOT better.

And as usual there are always other options besides slaughter.

Maybe the people who bought the pregnant mare didn't HAVE more to spend than $300 and knowing that one would become two they knew that they couldn't afford to buy more. Much as I suspect they would have liked to.
    Last edited by summerhorse; May. 3, 2013 at 01:46 AM. Reason: error
    Every mighty oak was once a nut that stood its ground.

Proud Closet Canterer! Member Riders with Fibromyalgia clique.

Quote Originally Posted by Fairfax View Post
    For the RARA no one can do anything right..even when they actually do something. ...your solution would be? oh..wait...Laura, Jenn, Angela have NO solutions...just complaints. No wonder no one takes y'all seriously
    There are many people who take what these people say very seriously, including ME. Please stop referring to people who don't agree with you as RARAs as it truly doesn't help your case.

11 members found this post helpful.

Shoot, most counties are too broke or the budget for the AC is far too low so they always auction off the livestock and horses they have seized. I think ours are on the second Thursday of the month? Something like that. I never go. The inn is full.
    Where the short cows roam.

War veteran

1 members found this post helpful.

For sure - slaughter is exactly what these horses were destined for when they went to the market... I mean auction.

Yes - It does beg the question of why did they spend such huge sums to feed them up when they could have simply given them to the slaughter folks to begin with?

Oh! I get it - they had to keep them for evidence.

But there is no rationale in "saving" them for prosecution purposes, racking up such huge sums in expense and then to pass them on through auction.

The public should also question that if cows do not cost tens of thousands to feed for a few months before going to slaughter, why pray tell does this other beast cost so much???
    from sunridge1:Go get 'em Roy! Stupid clown shoe nailing, acid pouring bast@rds.it is going to be good until the last drop!Eleneswell, the open trail begged to be used. D Taylor

When I hear RARA, I know it is the echolalic call to arms of the ... What was the group called? The apop_ _ _ _ _ 4? Or something.
    from sunridge1:Go get 'em Roy! Stupid clown shoe nailing, acid pouring bast@rds.it is going to be good until the last drop!Eleneswell, the open trail begged to be used. D Taylor

Quote Originally Posted by red mares View Post
    This X100
    "If you think nobody cares about you, try missing a couple payments..."

Quote Originally Posted by hurleycane View Post
    The public should also question that if cows do not cost tens of thousands to feed for a few months before going to slaughter, why pray tell does this other beast cost so much???
    ...Because a steer is kept for a year or two at most on a planned system and most ACs don't have the space, money, or time to deal with that many horses on short notice without shelling out a bunch of money (not to mention have you SEEN hay prices this year?)

The ones worth something other than price per pound went to people wiling to pay, the ones only worth whatever a processor pays went to a dealer who's taking them to the processor. Better that than wasting money on barbituates and trying to dispose of toxic corpses. If people didn't want them sold to a broker, they should have ponied up the cash themselves. That's what you do at a public auction. The SPCA shouldn't have to keep big pricey animals forever trying to find a 'perfect' home willing to pay more than their market value.

Quote Originally Posted by LauraKY View Post
    $10,000 divided by 29 horses is $344 each. In horse care terms, that does not sound like a huge amount to me, if these horse were in really bad shape. Heck, I've dropped $300 at the vet's in a matter of hours.

“I think it’s horrendous that this is happening today, that we haven’t had an emergency adopt-a-thon of these horses,” complains horse enthusiast Keely Dobbyn. “I know lots of people that would go out and try and rescue these animals, and instead this is the easy way out.”
    They DID have an "adopt-a-thon." It was just called an auction. For an adoption fee of less than $300 (probably less than $100) any one of Keely's buddies could have taken one of these horses. That's less than what most rescues charge, and no annoying forms to fill out.

Quote Originally Posted by hurleycane View Post
    For sure - slaughter is exactly what these horses were destined for when they went to the market... I mean auction.

Yes - It does beg the question of why did they spend such huge sums to feed them up when they could have simply given them to the slaughter folks to begin with?

Oh! I get it - they had to keep them for evidence.

But there is no rationale in "saving" them for prosecution purposes, racking up such huge sums in expense and then to pass them on through auction.

HSUS and PETA have, as a strategy, demoniaed the word auction. It used to be that a person could send a horse or horses to auction and that was it. If they could not afford to feed or care for them...they were able to dispose of them..QUIETLY

Now..anyone enters a horse into an auction and they are "outed" because others who claim they are not Rara's demand people provide forever homes. Period. No exceptions.

These horses were seized however the due process of the law must be adhered to. Unlike some states where HSUS and its groupies break the law and try and create their own laws (and brag about it) that can not be done up here. SPCA and HS do NOT have the self claimed power they do in the U.S. (H S of Canada did try but as I posted before...it was illegally set up by an American living in the hub of RARA hub, Maryland and was siphoning the money off to the U.S.).....he was the pedophile who eventually committed suicide after he was deported back to the U.S.

The horses had to be maintained until they received a court date. As another poster mentioned..the amount for ALL of those horses is reasonable. DEFHR charges $3000 per horse per month...on a regular basis..and they do advertise prices from $2000 and up for their costs

I can see why this would bother Hurley...she had no problem with the HSUS shopping their horrible video of Tennessee Walking Horse abuse for ONE FULL YEAR...and selling it to the highest bidder while hundreds if not thousands were abused during that year...

Summer Horse...please share with us YOUR solution other than slaughter

Lets review THESE FACTS

29 horses seized. Fed until ownership is attained. They are advertised extensively including a radio program on them CHQR (Calgary) gave free advertising daily.

THREE women joined forces and could adopt one pregnant mare...CONTRATULATIONS TO THEM..

NO ONE and I mean NO ONE from the PETA, HSUS and other groups stepped up to the plate to even purchase one and keep it until they could find it a home...One of the protestors was asked why she protested the sale and idid not buy one. She muttered something about...horses should be allowed to run free like nature wanted. These horses came from that natural environment...Born Free...Running Free...Starving...Seized...Fed and Sold.

This is the reality across North America.

We keep hearing about all of these homes...and yet..no one gives their list of homes to the rescues so they can start to get rid of their inventory.

Hmm.... what we really need is a #. Lets say 100,000 unwanted horses/year in the USA (I think it's actually 130,000 right now...)

Let's say $400/month/horse for feed, vaccinate, float teeth, maintain feet.
    So $4800/year.horse X 100,000 horses/year.

So that's 480,000,000/year just to maintain those horses. Next year, there will be another 100,000 or so.

So let's say each of those horses lives another 15 years, on average.

So that's 7,200,000,000 to maintain those horses.

So who here is volunteering to right the check for that?