The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Plain Noseband Dressage Bridle, Does it Exist?

I have been looking all over to find a nice quality black dressage bridle without the white lining and without a flash noseband.

I know they used to exist, but trying to find one to replace my worn out show bridle is proving impossible. Please help, as my horse goes better in a plain noseband and although I can have the flash removed, would rather find a bridle off the rack that will fit.

Anyone have any ideas or am I looking for the impossible?

It looks like the Jerry's Harness Shop bridles can be purchased sans-flash. I can't speak as to quality as I'm still saving up to get a custom one made for Madam Weirdhead, but I've heard really good things.

http://jerrysharnessshop.com/

VTO Saddlery has some Courbette bridles in this configuration on closeout. There are also some Schumacher's floating around with this setup. You could also call Dressage Extensions and see what they have. There is usually a good assortment (including drop noseband bridles which no one sells anymore either).

The ones from Schneiders are pretty nice.

I have a Vespucci like that. Classic Saddlery is a good place to start.

Check Stubben... they tend to have more minimalist options and are fantastic quality.
    "Winter's a good time to stay in and cuddle,
    but put me in summer and I'll be a... happy snowman!!!"

Trolls be trollin'! -DH

You sometimes can find them on eBay.
    Jeanie
    RIP Sasha, best dog ever, pictured shortly before she died, Death either by euthanasia or natural causes is only the end of the animal inhabiting its body; I believe the spirit lives on.

I have a Jerry's exactly as you describe...plain black with black padding, no flash. The bridle is LOVELY and I ordered from them because my mare's head is 1/2 horse 1/2 cob sized. From Jerry's you can order each piece individually for a perfect fit. Not cheap but will last forever (with good care)
    Read about my time at the Hannoveraner Verband Breeders Courses:
    http://blumefarm.com/hannoveranercourse2011.html
    http://blumefarm.com/hannoveranercourse2012.html

1 members found this post helpful.

You are going to think I'm nuts, but the Smartpak Plymouth Elite was actually a nice bridle and it has a plain and flash option.

Quote Originally Posted by Blume Farm View Post
    I have a Jerry's exactly as you describe...plain black with black padding, no flash. The bridle is LOVELY and I ordered from them because my mare's head is 1/2 horse 1/2 cob sized. From Jerry's you can order each piece individually for a perfect fit. Not cheap but will last forever (with good care)
    Oh good I'm glad that worked out for you...that gives me hope that it will be the right solution for me as well. My mare's head is the same, except plus an oversize forehead.

Yes, I got one from Schneider's that I LOVE. There were two, if I remember right. I have a TB, so I got the more delicate version. The noseband has a flash that you can remove, then tuck the flash-holder up under the padding on the top of the noseband. Until you posted this, I'd forgotten I'd done it---it stays totally securely.

I bought a Bobby's plain black bridle from Equus Now. Very nice bridle @ a great price.
    Last edited by 2horseowner; Apr. 9, 2013 at 10:22 PM. Reason: spelling

Dressage Extensions also has bridles like this. Read the descriptions, they may show a bridle with white piping but it often comes "self-padded". I really like the bridles they carry. I rode my mare without a flash, and you have the choice of a) switching out a double bridle crank without a flash loop b) just taking off the flash noseband and ignoring the loop and c) cutting the flash loop off the bridle.
    Proud member of the Colbert Dressage Nation

I got mine off ebay, listed as an "eventing bridle". It was cheap. I hated the reins so got new ones, but the bridle itself looks nice and has lasted well.
    Freeing worms from cans everywhere!

You can buy a double/ weymouth bridle and just take off the bradoon hanger. I've done that before.

Quote Originally Posted by EnjoyThe Ride View Post
    You can buy a double/ weymouth bridle and just take off the bradoon hanger. I've done that before.
    This would give you a lot more options

I was on a hunt for a bridle this summer & ended up getting an Aramis Rembrandt with wide nose band. It has a totally removable flash attachment, no flange/extra piece left when you remove it. It looks good on my mare b/c her head isn't terribly delicate.

It is hard to find one without a flash & crank. It bugs me that it is the default

I have one of the Courbette's it has the USDF logo on it, it's a very nice bridle, supple and has held up. I've had mine for years and still use it. I also have an M Toulousse that does have a flash but the slot for it is designed into the noseband so if you remove it there is no tab showing. It's a lovely bridle with lots of padding but a bit too much for my TB mare's refined head.

I got one at justbridles.com. I think it was a Red Barn, but there were others.

Proud owner of one Lunar acre! (Campanus Crater, The Moon)

I got mine from JustBridles.com. Great quality and fit. Also, you can get it separately.
    "Relinquish your whip!!"

Nunn Finer makes a customizable bridle, any color, and any different sized parts. Nice quality too.