The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Question Best Lip Balm with SPF (HR)

This really is horse related! I was at Morven 2 weeks ago watching SJ and XC and my lips got sunburned (as did the rest of my face). I plan on being out at a lot more events this year and my lips can't take being sunburned again. I've looked all over the label of my beloved Burt's Bees lip balm and it says nothing about SPF

Any suggestions on a good lip balm with SPF?

I definitely have a Burts Vee's lip balm with spf 15 so maybe keep looking? I also really like Blistex lip balm. Burnt lips are the worst, I usually slather rosebalm salve on them after I've (inevitably) burned them

1 members found this post helpful.

This - best ever. http://www.totalbeauty.com/reviews/p...ip-balm-spf-15
    I agree that burned, chapped lips at the events are the worst. I use this on my horse with the big snip http://www.walmart.com/ip/Neutrogena...-5-oz/17206685
    OTTBs rule, but spots are good too!

The best healing one is Polysporin. It is wonderful - I also used it on my cracked nose when I had a very bad cold, and it would heal overnight. SPF 30. I have one in my purse and one on my nightstand.
    Blugal

You never know what kind of obsessive compulsive crazy person you are until another person imitates your behaviour at a three-day. --Gry2Yng

Most of the Burt's Bees don't have SPF. They used to offer one in their outdoor line with SPF but I don't see it on their website anymore.
    Flip a coin. It's not what side lands that matters, but what side you were hoping for when the coin was still in the air.

You call it boxed wine. I call it carboardeaux.

I keep going back to boring old Chapstick. Just make sure you go to the trouble to seek out the high SPF line instead of picking one of the flavors.
    If you are allergic to a thing, it is best not to put that thing in your mouth, particularly if the thing is cats. - Lemony Snicket

Say Yes to Carrots: http://www.yestocarrots.com/category...nav_id=0000069 Doesn't cause your lips to become dry or irritated, smells yummy, works great, very cool company.

Ooh, GotSpots, I am definitely trying that as I love pomegranate. This is another favorite. They used to have it at CVS, but I haven't been able to find it recently http://www.amazon.com/MISSION-Skinca.../dp/B003DQOQSU
    OTTBs rule, but spots are good too!

Carmex is the best stuff in the world, only thing I don't find myself reapplying 18 times a day. All varieties are SPF 15.

This stuff from the Body Shop is AWESOME. Have been using it for years.

I really dislike all of the petroleum products in most grocery store chapsticks.

My favorites are the Chapstick Lipshield 365 (SPF 50) and Dermatone Medicated Lip Balm (SPF 23).

I tried the Banana Boat Sunscreen Lip Balm with Aloe Vera (SPF 45) and I absolutely hate it. It leaves a nasty taste/feel on my lips.

My favorite general lip balm is the Dr. Bronner's Naked Lip Balm but no SPF

I love Burt's Bees too but I feel it wears off more quickly
    Winfield Farm
    Karrera "Zoee" ~ Redshift "Orion" ~ Inquisitive "Q" ~ No Doubts "Lady"
    I Paid For My Vet's New Truck Clique

I don't know if it's available in the states, but I swear by Ombrelle Lip Balm SPF30. Smooth on the lips, not waxy but lasts.

I have used the Chapstick with the blue label (Moisturizer? I know it has SPF) for YEARS. Love it.

Trader Joe's Virtuoso. Trust me--I am a lip balm addict and have tried everything!
    Delaware Park Canter Volunteer
    http://www.canterusa.org/

I use burt's bees lifeguard's choice. Best stuff for me, though it turns my lips really light.
    I am on my phone 90% of the time. Please ignore typos, misplaced lower case letters, and the random word butchered by autocowreck.

1 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by curlykarot View Post
    This really is horse related! I was at Morven 2 weeks ago watching SJ and XC and my lips got sunburned I've looked all over the label of my beloved Burt's Bees lip balm and it says nothing about SPF

Any suggestions on a good lip balm with SPF?
    Chapstick Ultra. The end.

i burnt my lips about ten years ago at an event and vowed NEVER AGAIN! Chapstick Ultra has SPF 30 and I'm obsessed with it whenever I show. I have about 20 in various places!! One in breech pocket, tack trunk, etc. If someone asks what they can bring to warmup - I always say water & chapstick! It isn't that easy to find the Ultra- look for an orange color on the tube. I'll buy other brands but the SPF has to be 30 min for my delicate face.... Blahaha!

i love Burts bees also BUT I never buy their lip balm 'cause the spf is non- existent or too low!

Just an FYI--Chapstick brand is made by Pfizer (who bought out Wyeth) . That's the same company who makes Premarin. For me, learning that tidbit altered my shopping pattern.
    Flip a coin. It's not what side lands that matters, but what side you were hoping for when the coin was still in the air.

You call it boxed wine. I call it carboardeaux.

I have 4-5 different lip glosses w/ SPF and this is the one that I carry everywhere:

http://www.sephora.com/sugar-lip-tre...2?skuId=683847

I haven't looked for it on Amazon yet, but this stuff is fabulous!

Quote Originally Posted by jen-s View Post
    Just an FYI--Chapstick brand is made by Pfizer (who bought out Wyeth) . That's the same company who makes Premarin. For me, learning that tidbit altered my shopping pattern.
    I am sure the woman who use Premarin because it is the only thing that works for them totally understand...

I am not a chapstick fan because it feels heavy on my lips. When it comes to sunscreen lip balm the chapstick ultra does seem to work the best.

So many choices! Thanks for all the replies. Looks like I'll be spending lots of time trying out lip balms