The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Is This Art?

"No matter how well you perform there's always somebody of intelligent opinion who thinks it's lousy." - Laurence Olivier

Nope. It does nothing for what the artist is trying to raise consciousness for. Actually, just the opposite.

From the article:

Zabriskie Point gallery manager Magdalena Ybarquen said: "To the artists, their warhorse represents culture and the arts which are always the first things to suffer in a financial crisis.

"What they're trying to do is show how culture is endangered and how we should protect it."

1 members found this post helpful.

Not trying to explain the exhibit.
    But it gets the people talking, got the gallery in the news world wide....yep, I'd say its art.

Would not want it in my living room.

as to horrendous and disgusting
    It's a stuffed horse for crying out loud.
    The imagination is the bigger enemy than what is really present t be observed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Bristol Bay View Post
    Try setting your broomstick to fly at a lower altitude.

I guess it depends on what your definition of art is. If it is as simple as making people think and react, then sure, it's art. But I think that's a pretty bull$h!t definition.

Art doesn't have to be pretty or nice, it should challenge, ask, tell, make people change, think, act, react, speak, feel, relate etc. So for me personally, a dead horse hanging from the ceiling doesn't work as art. The artist in me rolls my eyes and thinks "another poser trying too hard" the horse lover in me wonders if the horse was humanely PTS and as long as it was, doesn't care about it. That is about the extent of it.

Huh? Sounds like someone procrastinated until the last minute and then came up with something dumb to save their butt. One of their other works is logs on a road? Honestly, these sound like the ultimate procrastinators. Artists indeed...
    Is chasing cattle considered playing with your food?.

War veteran

2 members found this post helpful.

I guess these days if you can sucker the taxpayers into footing the bill, then it's art.
    “There are two ways to conquer and enslave a nation. One is by the sword. The other is by debt.”
    John Adams

3 members found this post helpful.

WTH?! Thank God it's dead! I was afraid I was going to read it was a live horse. What is wrong with people?! Tax money went to pay for that?! Gah!
    I have a Fjord! Life With Oden

Quote Originally Posted by microbovine View Post
    Huh? Sounds like someone procrastinated until the last minute and then came up with something dumb to save their butt. One of their other works is logs on a road? Honestly, these sound like the ultimate procrastinators. Artists indeed...
    Actually they're pretty good con artists if someone is paying them money for that sort of thing.

3 members found this post helpful.

I think I get what they're trying to do.. and as an artist, it definitely moves me and makes me think differently.

As a horse lover, it definitely has shock value and I also wonder how this horse died (humanely, is my first concern.)

But I'd also add that part of artistic and creative vulnerability is the ability to change execution of a principle to fit needs and audiences. While a drawing or a sculpture of this scene wouldn't cause so much of a stir/shock, I think they created the wrong kind of stir. People are more concerned for this particular animal than the thing it represents. In my opinion, that's failure of art.

Zabriskie Point gallery manager Magdalena Ybarquen said: "To the artists, their warhorse represents culture and the arts which are always the first things to suffer in a financial crisis.

"What they're trying to do is show how culture is endangered and how we should protect it."

So, culture and the arts are dead/stuffed and hung in a sling?

That is such a complete failure of comunication I can't begin to think of it as possibly having anything to do with art as expression of concepts or ideas or commenting on society.

Guernica it AIN'T!!

And I had a conversation with a gallery owner a while back...
    commenting on how some of the pieces in his shop, I would be - personally speaking - not brave enough to put a price tag on.

And the follow up convo with my mom, art aficionado, on whether or not there is bad art or not.

Yes, I thin there is bad art.
    I think this pathetic critter is one of the examples.

and still, it looks better than Misty.

Then again, I think 99% of stuffed horses look better.....

And yet.
    we are actually having an art discussion....
    Quote Originally Posted by Bristol Bay View Post
    Try setting your broomstick to fly at a lower altitude.