The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Ahhh OK... not "really" a schooling show.

Around here, they are anywhere from $30 to $50 per class, with $35-$40 being about average. There is rarely if ever a haul-in fee, and occasionally a small office fee, most commonly for a show that's part of a series with year-end awards. These are all one day shows so stabling isn't really part of the picture (though often one can arrange separately with the hosting facility or a nearby farm for overnight stabling, if they have any stalls.)
    You have to have experiences to gain experience.

Proudly owned by Mythic Feronia, 1998 Morgan mare; G-dspeed Trump & Minnie; welcome 2014 Morgan filly MtnTop FlyWithMeJosephine

In our GMO non member schooling show classes are 30 each, with a $10 office fee, and $20 for members. Truly schooling show prices.

Schooling show this weekend. 2 days, 4 classes total. $280.00

Half is class fees, other half is other fees, including an overnight stall for Friday and Saturday (I am planning to haul in and out, but want a stall I can lock my stuff in and use during the days).
    Freeing worms from cans everywhere!

Just to run the numbers -
    Judge - Daily rate plus travel - $450
    Ribbons and small prizes - $150
    Food for volunteers/judge - $ 50
    Office supplies (copying, etc) - $20
    Flowers/decorations - $25
    Insurance for the day $25
    So - $720 cost for the day.
    A good show has 50 entries (more typical is 40)
    To just make $700 for the day, you need to charge $30 a class.
    This does not include replacement for numbers as they wear out, repair to the facility if it is very muddy, our labor to prep the place and clean up afterwards. It really is not worth it except for the students who get to show without the added stress of trailering out.
    We even offer a 'home court advantage' set of prizes LOL

4 members found this post helpful.

Thanks everyone for the replies! I went to CDS activities and added up true schooling shows vs 1* (I just assumed it was still schooling!) and it's much cheape $50-$60 However, the closest is 2+ hours away with the next closest over 4 hours away...ugh! I might as well continue with this venue since its close and I know them well (I do h/j there.)

Btw I'm a DASC member (horse is not, I have to mail his membership in, PayPal keeps charging me $50 for a lifetime vs $10 for an annual) and CDS is next paycheck

1 members found this post helpful.

Lucky you to have shows so convenient! I'm going 2.5 hours for a schooling show later this month while the rest of my barn goes to Wellington.
    *=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=

One more possible money saving option
    If you are riding Intro-First level, many 3* shows have opportunity classes. These classes do not require membership in USDF/USEF and waive the USEF drug fee. they don't count towards year end awards, but may be more convenient for you.
    Also, if you have close venues, always ask if they have any schooling shows, a lot of the smaller ones don't bother posting to CDS.
    Good luck and happy showing!

Here at STRIDE shows, $20/class, $15 office fee, stabling $35 or grounds fee $20.

Classes $5 more if you are not a member.

That said, two classes and a stall (I always get a stall), still adds up.

We offer vouchers to volunteers that can be used at shows,as well as coupons in lieu of ribbons/prizes that can add up to be used at shows. it helps.
    L

I feel the OP's pain - I looked at the prize list for the local dressage group for bronze level show - $168 before memberships for training level (3 tests). I don't mind paying for the judge etc but considering I put a lot of effort into teaching my horses to tie and have my trailer configured into box stalls, I find a mandatory day stall at $50 a bit annoying when I'll be there half a day at most.

1 members found this post helpful.

I run my indoor series with two rings of a different level, optional stabling (but a haul in fee from the facility is mandatory).
    The local level ring is a $30 admin fee and $30 per class - most people end up around the $200 mark for 2 days of showing with stabling.
    The provincial level ring is a bit more - Admin fees around $50, classes $40 each. Usually for two days people can still make it in for under $300.

For this area that is quite reasonable considering I hire sanctioned judges (other shows which cost more, do not) and rent one of the nicest facilities in the area with all indoor amenities, warm ups for each show ring (total of 4 rings) and great footing.

I went yesterday and ended up not showing. I showed up with my not-yet-pulled-mane gelding, all I had was a black a/p pad under my wintec a/p, and my tan breeches, yellow show shirt (I do have a jacket) and half chaos because my boots JUST came in Friday. Me thinking no problem, I'm just an intro A rider.

Uhm, everyone was braided and very traditional, I couldn't do it! The manager tried to urge me to French braid him, but I didn't even have a rubber band. We just schooled in the jumper derby field, with my yellow show shirt LOL, we did get quite a few stares. I'll save up for white breeches/show shirt/white pad and learn how to braid. Thankfully it looks easier then hunter buttons!

For a real schooling show, what you had would have been totally fine. Other than pulling the mane, nothing about that turnout should have made anyone look twcie.

Unless its cool outside, I almost never show in a coat, just a white polo and my tan hunterland breeches. I've braided once, because the SO was coming along to take pictures. No one has ever commented on our turnout.

Quote Originally Posted by TBRedHead View Post
    I went yesterday and ended up not showing. I showed up with my not-yet-pulled-mane gelding, all I had was a black a/p pad under my wintec a/p, and my tan breeches, yellow show shirt (I do have a jacket) and half chaos because my boots JUST came in Friday. Me thinking no problem, I'm just an intro A rider.

Uhm, everyone was braided and very traditional, I couldn't do it! The manager tried to urge me to French braid him, but I didn't even have a rubber band. We just schooled in the jumper derby field, with my yellow show shirt LOL, we did get quite a few stares. I'll save up for white breeches/show shirt/white pad and learn how to braid. Thankfully it looks easier then hunter buttons!

At a schooling show that turnout would have been fine. The White breeches/pad etc are just fashion, not in the rules. The rules say light colored breeches so tan would be fine, nothing in the rules about shirt color. Braiding is optional at all shows including the licensed ones, but it is considered normal to braid in some manner at licensed shows. I regularly do schooling shows where I don't braid. And I don't own white breeches, not even for riding at FEI level.
    Don't let the fashionistas intimidate you, it's about the way the horse goes not the clothes.
    MW
    Melyni (PhD) PAS, Dipl. ACAN.
    New edition of book is out:
    Horse Nutrition Handbook.

www.knabstruppers4usa.com

yikes..our schooling shows are $15 a test...no admin fee. Great prizes

I thought I had read enough threads on this subject to understand it, but apparently now that I've entered my first dressage show, I don't get it.

I'm from the hunter/jumper world, I entered my first schooling dressage show (it's only CDS and DASC rated), intro A, and my bill is $135! I know $30 is a late fee (my bad, oops.) But that's still over $100! I'm used to schooling hunter/jumper shows where I can haul in, enter 2 classes and maybe warm up, for under $75. I pride myself in usually making it under $50, for a day of fun with horses and friends. (same venue btw.)

I know there must be a perfectly logical explanation for this, but so far given that I spend the same in gas, food, tack, lessons, etc., dressage shows seem overly expensive and not something I could continue if I was on a tight budget.
    Your post doesn't make sense. How can it be a schooling show and a rated show?

There are always more fees associated with a rated show, but $135 doesn't seem right if you are only riding one test. Double check the entry info, because if I'm not mistaken, even if it is a rated show, some of the extra fees are not applicable toward the Intro classes and most show secretaries don't know that. The same goes for Opportunity classes.

I'm sorry to hear you decided not to show! It's perfectly acceptable to show in tan breeches in the lower levels and your black pad would have been just fine as well. The best attire tip I got was it really doesn't matter what your show shirt is like because if you are wearing a coat, your stock tie covers up the shirt.

I do hope you decide to show again, and hopefully the fees will not be as bad.
    Last edited by jenm; Apr. 15, 2013 at 05:24 PM. Reason: added info
    Proud owner of a Slaughter-Bound TB from a feedlot, and her surprise baby...!
    http://i42.photobucket.com/albums/e350/Jen4USC/fave.jpg
    http://i42.photobucket.com/albums/e3...SC/running.jpg

Jenn, I didn't associate CDS/DASC with actual rated Super confusion!

And thanks guys, I'll go ahead and enter the May one then

Bah. As a former Southern Californian, I would have just gone in the ring and ridden. The rules don't require braiding and lots of people use black pads. Your yellow shirt was fine, as were your tan breeches. I get that you felt out of place, but most likely the judge would have not had any issue with it.

And put some yarn and rubber bands in your trailer. Not because you might need to braid, but because of all the ten thousand other things you might need it for if things go wrong on the road!
    If you are allergic to a thing, it is best not to put that thing in your mouth, particularly if the thing is cats. - Lemony Snicket

I'll go ahead and enter the May one then
    Have fun and be sure to come back and let us know how it goes!
    Proud owner of a Slaughter-Bound TB from a feedlot, and her surprise baby...!
    http://i42.photobucket.com/albums/e350/Jen4USC/fave.jpg
    http://i42.photobucket.com/albums/e3...SC/running.jpg

In central NY, we have our choice of lots of good, cheap schooling shows that are very well run. Look at

central new york dressage and combined training for an idea of costs.

Best way to keep costs down is to volunteer at shows and spread the work around so they can be offered for less.
    Last edited by Iberiansyes; Apr. 20, 2013 at 03:13 AM. Reason: typo

For a schooling show I wear what is comfortable weather wise. Today I showed in dark brown breeches, a black turtleneck and a vest. Some people do break out the white, the coats and braid, bit the judge does not care.