The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Schooling dressage shows being expensive?

I thought I had read enough threads on this subject to understand it, but apparently now that I've entered my first dressage show, I don't get it.

I'm from the hunter/jumper world, I entered my first schooling dressage show (it's only CDS and DASC rated), intro A, and my bill is $135! I know $30 is a late fee (my bad, oops.) But that's still over $100! I'm used to schooling hunter/jumper shows where I can haul in, enter 2 classes and maybe warm up, for under $75. I pride myself in usually making it under $50, for a day of fun with horses and friends. (same venue btw.)

I know there must be a perfectly logical explanation for this, but so far given that I spend the same in gas, food, tack, lessons, etc., dressage shows seem overly expensive and not something I could continue if I was on a tight budget.

I just sent in my ck for a rated dressage show here in CA, two classes for 139. I haven't done a schooling show this year but I usually pay around $65 for a schooling show so your fees do sound a bit much.
    Dawn

Patience and Consistency are Your Friends

I've done my last couple of schooling shows for $30 per test + tax, no other fees. It's ten minutes from home, so my coach hauls me for $10 and I clean the trailer.

It pains me to pay $$$ for exhibitor fees, drug fees, admin fees, etc, so I just don't show rated. I still had to get my sport license/association fees because I'm eventing as well (and that can add up!), but the schooling shows I've done this year have had great quality judges. At least 3 of the 4 I've shown in front of this year would judge rated as well.

Dressage classes can't be as cheap as H/J because each person is in the ring alone for 6 minutes. In 10 minutes, a hunter judge can judge a hack with 20 horses in the ring. At worst, a hunter o/f trip takes 90 seconds.

That said, your fees do sound high. Does that include a non-member fee to CDS or DASC?

I'd expect $25-$30 per class, plus an office fee and any state taxes or drug fees your state has.

Umm that sounds high for a schooling show. Where are you locate? I just pulled up one schooling show prize list, and if I enter one class, the cost is $15 class fee + $5 non (club) member fee + $5 office fee, so the total would be $25. I have also gone to other schooling shows where the class fee was only $5 per class, so for that show, it was $15 total....

Definitely sounds high for a schooling show, even minus the late fee. My last schooling show was $30 per test plus a $15 office/grounds fee, so that show cost me $75. The schooling show before that was $35 per test plus a $10 grounds fee (I wasn't reserving a stall), so that show cost me $80.

There are lots of schooling shows around here. They are usually $25-30 per test, so its $50-60 for the day if I ride two tests. $135 (or $105 without the late fee) still seems high...

That sounds very high to me, too. I suspect our schooling shows are on the lower end of the range.
    My horse is a dressage diva so I don't have to be.

Quote Originally Posted by katarine
    If you have a fat gay horse that likes Parelli, you're really screwed

Are you stating that the class fee for Intro A is 100.00?

I have a schooling show this weekend, cost me $112. $35 each for the 2 classes, $7 for Dressage Levy fee (every Dressage show in canada has this), $30 admin fee, + GST.

How many classes are you entering? Around here, you can usually do 2 classes for between $50 and $100.
    Janet

chief feeder and mucker for Music, Spy, Belle and Tiara. Someone else is now feeding and mucking for Chief and Brain (both foxhunting now).

Wow, I'm so glad I'm in the area that I am. I regularly compete in two different schooling show series. I am a member of the GMO (as well as the chapter) that hosts these. Because of that I do not pay any additional fees other than the per class/test fee of $15. If I am paying over $100 for a schooling show, which I occasionally do, it's because I'm taking 4 horses and riding 2 tests with each. Now I also regularly participate in a ride a test series held locally as well (usually hold it once a month for 4 months). I pay $55 for the first test and then $35 for each additional test. I have been typically taking only one horse to this due to the costs; but, I like the facility and it's so close to my house.
    Ranch of Last Resort
    www.annwylid.com

1 members found this post helpful.

Wow, you could join our local GMO for a year and do 2 classes for less than that here, and I'd assume we're on the high end of the cost spectrum for schooling shows! Standard here is $25, give or take about $5 either way. I'm doing 2 classes at a nice local GMO schooling show this coming weekend, and the grand total is $52, including the online payment fees.

What are those fees covering beyond entry, which surely can't be $100? Are you paying nonmember fees, for a stall, hauling, something else?

A couple of thoughts.
    I usually don't refer to the type of show you went to as a schooling show, but rather as a 1* show, recognized by CDS and DASC. The difference in this is that 1* shows are required to have higher rated judges (r+ as opposed to L). This is why class costs are usually higher. There is also more overhead, these scores are recorded as they are qualifiers for CDS Championships, so more paperwork, etc.
    All shows in California are required to pay a $5 drug fee, even schooling shows
    Office fees usually run around $25. CDS and DASC have additional fees ~$4. Many times there is a facility haul-in fee, between $15-25, charged to the show by the facility and passed on to you.

I would say that your total is typical for a 1* show, if you were entering in two classes. If you are only entered in one, my guess is that you are not a member of CDS or DASC? In that case, you would have had to pay a non-member fee.

So I can see two possible ways to save money. One is to find real schooling shows, where fees are generally lower. You can find them on CDS website under the activities tab (as opposed to the calendar tab). For example, the one I am going to this weekend, with one class, would have cost 65 dollars ($35 for the class, $25 office fee, $5 drug fee, no late fee). If you are planning to do more recognized shows, then I would suggest joining CDS. Membership includes a group membership to USDF, which could save you money if you wanted to do 3* (USEF/USDF/CDS recognized) shows.

8 members found this post helpful.

Wow, we are lucky around here!

Dayton Local Show Circuit - $20 per class, $15 office fee. Stalls run $30-40.
    Queen City Dressage Circuit - $21 per class, $5 office fee+, stalls vary

Ours have gone over the top. There is a 25.00 class fee. 20.00 haul in fee.
    Unless you get a stall, then it is 15.00 no kidding. stalls are 60.00 a night, bedding extra. This is for a local small schooling show.
    "you can only ride the drama llama so hard before it decides to spit in your face." ?Caffeinated.

Forgot to add: other sources for schooling shows, check the CDS omnibus. Its downloadable on the CDS webpage, Calendar tab, top of page.

Around here they are usually $25/ class tops, and most have no office/ haul-in fees etc. They have a mix of L and r judges, very occasionally an R. I actually think it's a pretty sweet deal.

1 members found this post helpful.

oreobob is correct - this is not a "schooling show" it is a CDS* show - with full qualifying rights for CDS and RAAC championships.

the true "schooling shows" which are NOT CDS recognized and use L graduates average in NorCal - about $30 for a class, $10 - $15 office fee, $5 drug fee (california drug fee). That's it. No GMO or member fees.
    Last edited by honeylips; Apr. 9, 2013 at 09:43 PM.
    RoseLane Sporthorses-Westfalen horses and ponies
    Home of Golden State- 2012 Bundeschampion 3yo Pony Stallion
    Home of Golden West - 2014 Bundeschampion 3yo Pony Stallion

5 members found this post helpful.

ohhhhh....mkay.