The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

I have a gelding that has issues with ticks. He grows boobs when bitten. Ok, he tends to get fluid-filled sacs on his chest from the damned things, and then requires antibiotics to get rid of the sacs. They love to get him in the chest. I used the Freedom 45 spot on with good results. I did not know there was a spray-on Frontline, so I have to look into that.

As for myself, I just have to do tick-checks, and I spray with Deep Woods Off if I am going into woods. I should just run some doggie Frontline down my spine when I do the dogs. I now have chickens roaming the yard and hope that will help around here, but I can't really run a flock of them ahead of me on every trail ride.

1 members found this post helpful.

My vet was out this week for spring shots and we were talking about ticks and other things. And my husband asked what they best thing to kill them was. He mentioned frontline weekly, he said fly sprays do nothing. And then I said the only thing I noticed last year as after we bought chickens the ticks disappeared. We live on 25 acres most heavily wooded next to a 300 acre Kid's Camp and 1500 acres of state forest. So what we do is we free range the chickens we when are home or working in the barn and pen them when we are not home or at night.

My vet said there was an extensive study of lyme disease at farms all across Connecticut several years ago to try to figure out why some farms had higher rates of lyme disease than others. In going back to the farms the only thing they found was the farms with lower or no instances of lyme was those farms had chickens or guinea hens nature's bug/tick killers!

Chickens are so easy and inexpensive to keep and they make a vast difference in the bug/tick population at my house.

Can you still use fly spray while using the front line spray? I dont want to cause any weird chemical reactions.

Do products with DEET work on ticks too?

Default Small Update!

I just wanted to give a small, anecdotal update. I have to go to the barn every day to administer gastroguard (fun!), and I check daily in the nooks and crannies for ticks. It's really amazing how much my tolerance for the abhorent little arthropods has gone up since I started "tick picking". Anyway, I spray the tail, legs, groin area, chest (working it into the skin folds where the legs meet the chest) and in the jaw daily with a pyrethrin/permethrin spray. (I didn't have time to track down the Frontline spray yet) The daily tick count has fallen *tremendously*, down to around 0-1 ticks per day. So it would appear that the permethrin/pyrethrin fly and tick sprays do work, but you may have to apply liberally/daily.

Is your tick approach working?
    Proud member of the Colbert Dressage Nation

I've used the Freedom 45 spot treatment and thought it worked well. But my horse is usually the one tick magnet of the barn so I never really know if the spot on WORKS or the tick population is just down at the time I finally get around to applying it.

Equispot caused an allergic reaction (swelling of the skin where applied) to 2 different horses, so I avoid this product.

At home I use the Frontline on the dogs and cat.

At the barn I keep a small jar of alcohol to drop the ticks into when I find them. Or I flush them. I hate squishing them.... too paranoid that they may be carrying something like lymes.

Get a bunch of guineas. No more ticks, and they are rather amusing to watch. Dumber than a box of rocks, but that's another story!

Quote Originally Posted by SMF11 View Post
    Spray on Frontline works really well, as does a pretty concentrated permethrin spray. (I was using permethrin fly spray and the horses didn't have ticks all last summer -- usually I use the Frontline).

Other things to deter ticks: mow grass short. You could/should wear clothing treated with permethrin. Everything I've read about it says it is very safe. That is the most effective thing you can do. I wear pants and socks treated with permethrin when I'm at the barn (twice a day, I have 10 horses at home). Also, take a shower either when you get home (best) or at night. That's been proven to reduce Lyme transmission (even if you don't have much Lyme there, obviously it reduces the transmission by reducing the number of bites, which I assume you are after!).

I've had Lyme four times and ehrlichiosis twice so I've given quite a bit of thought to avoiding tick bites.
    Four times, how do you stay healthy! Good ideas, keeping the grass short is best. If I had that much trouble with ticks, I hate to say it, but I would torch the field. I am Lyme positive, working with an ILADS doctor, in chelation treatment for just over a year for mold toxicity and two heavy metal poisonings. I am getting there but it has been a hell of a year!
    "I have brought on the hatred of Wall Street and I relish it".
    Franklin Delano Roosevelt

Quote Originally Posted by J-Lu View Post
    I just wanted to give a small, anecdotal update. I have to go to the barn every day to administer gastroguard (fun!), and I check daily in the nooks and crannies for ticks. It's really amazing how much my tolerance for the abhorent little arthropods has gone up since I started "tick picking". Anyway, I spray the tail, legs, groin area, chest (working it into the skin folds where the legs meet the chest) and in the jaw daily with a pyrethrin/permethrin spray. (I didn't have time to track down the Frontline spray yet) The daily tick count has fallen *tremendously*, down to around 0-1 ticks per day. So it would appear that the permethrin/pyrethrin fly and tick sprays do work, but you may have to apply liberally/daily.

Is your tick approach working?
    Do not pick the ticks with your bare hands since you can inadvertently squeeze them, I know it says that have to be attached for some amount of time to infect you but there is no point in taking the chance of getting Lyme or any other tick borne illness. Be careful.

Quote Originally Posted by Calamber View Post
    Do not pick the ticks with your bare hands since you can inadvertently squeeze them, I know it says that have to be attached for some amount of time to infect you but there is no point in taking the chance of getting Lyme or any other tick borne illness. Be careful.
    Thank you. I'm sorry to hear about your health situation and I truly hope you're on the road to feeling better. You bring up an excellent point. I pull them with forceps and put them into alcohol for the very reasons you state. My veterinarian said the same thing that you did because she contracted a tick-born illness previously. Thanks for mentioning this on this thread.

Thank you for your well wishes. I hope to one day be able to exercise without so much pain, but I am so much better that I am fairly confident that I will!

Please excuse my ignorance of this topic, but my first experience with ticks was last summer on my kiddos and dog. I had never seen them before (lived elsewhere). I have yet to find one on my cats or my horses...am I looking in the wrong spots? Where do they like to congregate on horses? My sister said she used to find them under manes but I've looked everywhere and have yet to find one on my horses, which seems odd.

Quote Originally Posted by Calamber View Post
    Thank you for your well wishes. I hope to one day be able to exercise without so much pain, but I am so much better that I am fairly confident that I will!
    Fellow Lymie here. I'm sure you've been tested for co-infections. Has your doctor tried IM Bicillin? I did wonders for my daughter.
    "We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals." ~Immanuel Kant

Quote Originally Posted by Showbizz View Post
    Please excuse my ignorance of this topic, but my first experience with ticks was last summer on my kiddos and dog. I had never seen them before (lived elsewhere). I have yet to find one on my cats or my horses...am I looking in the wrong spots? Where do they like to congregate on horses? My sister said she used to find them under manes but I've looked everywhere and have yet to find one on my horses, which seems odd.
    I have had horses in multiple states and I hardly ever noticed ticks. And then I moved to North Carolina and have a horse on pasture... I find 95% of them in the medial folds where the legs meet the body (from the tail and anus down through the inguinal area, and in the skin folds where the front legs attach to the body) and between the jaw bones. I actually thought they were scabs at first because I had forgotten how small deer ticks are, but a friend pointed out that they were actually ticks. Strangely, I walk in the woods all the time and have never found them on me. My horse, on the other hand....

i know Ultrashield works b/c i have gone out on trail and returned with DEAD ticks on my horses' legs. they were still gripping the hair, but were not imbedded, and were already dead. Good luck everyone!

What about Pyranha? Highest pyrethrin/piperonyl butoxide/butoxypolypropylene glycol concentrations of any other spray I've found. (We have mosquitos and an abominable number of west nile cases a year here; even with my mare vaccinated, I make sure that mosquitos DIE.) Also works on other bugs. First year I had my mare I was using Repel-X and she had a tick bite in her mane (she had a little bit of a reaction to the bite) but when I switched over to this stuff, no more!

FYI, hopefully so everyone can lower their blood pressure a touch: Lyme disease is typically carried by deer ticks. These are the really *really* tiny ones. Dog and wood ticks are larger and most noticed by humans but these types don't carry Lyme.

Not saying you don't want to control dog and wood ticks because they can introduce other illnesses and serve as a leading indicator for the deer ticks, but they won't introduce Lyme.

My horse is a tick magnet AND he's boarded in the edge of a national forest so ticks are a constant battle for us every year. It appears that this year is going to be especially bad I have already pulled so many ticks off of him this year and I've pulled three off of myself (and I VERY rarely get them!). Usually it's later in the spring/summer when things are this bad.

The last couple of years I've used Equispot, which does seem to help. I was late ordering it this year so I am waiting impatiently for my Smartpak order to show up today!! I also try to fly spray him really well with a mixture of Flicks and perethrin. At really bad times, I've also been known to spray the back of his legs and the crevices up in his groin area with Deep Woods Off. He gets really bad reactions to the bites (huge, oozy, itchy welts) so I'm less concerned about the chemicals than I am avoiding tick borne diseases and skin infections. For what it's worth, he's never had any reactions to the sprays or spot-ons but I'm sure other horses may be more sensitive... so use all chemicals with caution at first!

Good luck in your battles!
    "Farming looks mighty easy when your plow is a pencil, and you're a thousand miles from the corn field." --Dwight D Eisenhower

Boston Terrier Rescue of NC - www.btrnc.org - Adopt for Life!

Quote Originally Posted by future vet View Post
    The Freedom Spot On stuff works awesome for ticks. One of mine is a tick magnet and it keeps him tick free. You put it on once every two weeks (similar to Frontline for dogs) and it does a really good job.
    Glad to hear this. I'm using the Freedom for the first time this year, did it the second time yesterday. Last Friday we did a very woodsey trail ride and horse didn't have one tick on her when we came in.

Can't tell yet how well it does with flies but the dern gnats seem much more interested in me than they do the horses.
    You know why cowboys don't like Appaloosas?" - Answer: Because to train a horse, you have to be smarter than it is.