The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Die, ticks, DIE! Best way to kill them?

I know there have been alot of threads on various things relating to these abhorrent little beasts, but I really want to know what works, and what doesn't work, to kill them. It seems as though the ticks have bloomed with the flowers here in NC and poor horsie was covered with them (pulled about 30 off yesterday - I had no idea they came out so early since it's been rather cold here!!). Horse is on pasture and near woods during the day, and since I board on someone else's property, introducing various types of fowl is out of the question (or perhaps can be done in the dark of night? Only kidding!). They freak me out and I havent stopped itching and scratching since yesterday! I've never had such a tick problem and so I'm not up-to-snuff on snuffing out ticks. Does equispot work in high-tick areas? Sprays? Other products? Help!!
    Proud member of the Colbert Dressage Nation

Absorbine Ultrashield kills ticks. it has permethrin which is probably what works for that. Not sure what to use on plants.

1 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Nezzy View Post
    Absorbine Ultrashield kills ticks. it has permethrin which is probably what works for that. Not sure what to use on plants.
    Thanks! Plants are a lost caust, I'm just trying to keep them off the horse. I did buy a fly spray with permethrin as well as pyrethrin but I may not be using it liberally enough (let me rephrase - clearly, I'm not). I think I recall some people had mixed results with permethrin sprays. The local feed store has Equiblot although I did note that some posters on other threads didn't think it worked too well. Does anyone like it?

Best thing I've found is to buy a bottle of spray-on Frontline (like for dogs) and put it on the underside of the tail area and then at the girth and jaw. It will kill ticks once they get on for about 2-4 weeks depending on rain, horse out or stalled.

I have also used spray-on Frontline with excellent results, especially when applied to the tailhead (where my horses were getting the most ticks). Spray a small test area somewhere and watch that for a 5-7 days before you spray all over.

The Freedom Spot On stuff works awesome for ticks. One of mine is a tick magnet and it keeps him tick free. You put it on once every two weeks (similar to Frontline for dogs) and it does a really good job.

Spray on Frontline works really well, as does a pretty concentrated permethrin spray. (I was using permethrin fly spray and the horses didn't have ticks all last summer -- usually I use the Frontline).

Other things to deter ticks: mow grass short. You could/should wear clothing treated with permethrin. Everything I've read about it says it is very safe. That is the most effective thing you can do. I wear pants and socks treated with permethrin when I'm at the barn (twice a day, I have 10 horses at home). Also, take a shower either when you get home (best) or at night. That's been proven to reduce Lyme transmission (even if you don't have much Lyme there, obviously it reduces the transmission by reducing the number of bites, which I assume you are after!).

I've had Lyme four times and ehrlichiosis twice so I've given quite a bit of thought to avoiding tick bites.

Guinea Fowl

Quote Originally Posted by future vet View Post
    The Freedom Spot On stuff works awesome for ticks. One of mine is a tick magnet and it keeps him tick free. You put it on once every two weeks (similar to Frontline for dogs) and it does a really good job.
    Thank you!!! Is this spray-on like frontline, and I should target the undersides and tail? I really appreciate everyone's feedback. I have never had a horse in such a tick-infested place and NEVER had to deal with what I'm dealing with now.SMF11, I board and I don't have control over the pasture length. The barn owner has a degree in Horticulture and the pastures are "his babies", he manages them for the grass quality rather than the ticks. We do have Lyme's disease in the area, and I pulled one tick off myself. I've never been so observant of the tick bite redness, joint pain, etc. in my life. How do you treat your clothes with permethrin?

Quote Originally Posted by babecakes View Post
    Guinea Fowl
    I board, and the place has 200 acres bordered by other farmland/barns. I can't introduce guinea fowl, and don't think guinea fowl would last too long anyway...

Quote Originally Posted by J-Lu View Post
    Thank you!!! Is this spray-on like frontline, and I should target the undersides and tail? I really appreciate everyone's feedback. I have never had a horse in such a tick-infested place and NEVER had to deal with what I'm dealing with now.SMF11, I board and I don't have control over the pasture length. The barn owner has a degree in Horticulture and the pastures are "his babies", he manages them for the grass quality rather than the ticks. We do have Lyme's disease in the area, and I pulled one tick off myself. I've never been so observant of the tick bite redness, joint pain, etc. in my life. How do you treat your clothes with permethrin?
    You're welcome. You spot it in different areas on the horse (poll, withers, above the hocks, etc) and it diffuses over the whole horse without you having to apply it everywhere. I think a tube is like 9 or 10 cc total, the directions tell you where to apply it and how much to apply. It's supposed to be effective for flies and mosquitoes as well, but I mainly use it for getting rid of ticks!

I'm really, really wary of any spot-on treatments, or harsh chemicals- dealt with too many "not sensitive" horses (and dogs, and cats) who had issues. Harsh chemicals in general give me the woogs and I try to avoid them best I can.

However, ticks cary lyme, so they must die. Also they are super freaking gross and creepy, and for this they must also die. Or at the very least not come anywhere near me or my four legged critters. I'm reasonable, I can compromise.

This stuff is INCREDIBLE MAGICAL WONDER in a bottle. No joke. By far the best fly spray I have EVER EVER EVER used. I was entirely skeptical at first because it IS "all natural", but it's entirely different than products like Nature's Defense in the fact that it WORKS. It's also not going to require you to take out a second mortgage to but enough for the season.

I generally mix it a little stronger than their recommended 1:7, and go for the 1:5 (wild woman! watch out!), but feel totally comfortable doing so because there's nothing scary in there! OH NO! Too much citronella! And feel safe and have been successfully spritzing the stuff on all the horses daily/multiple times daily (baths, sweating, etc) for several years with only ill effects for the bugs. It doesn't kill ALL the ticks, but I see a HUGE decrease in the numbers I'm plucking off.

I should also at this point admit I also use this stuff on myself, the dogs, the cats, and the Boyfriend should he bitch about the bugs too much.
    "Sit back and prepare to be pissed off!"

Eventer, Ballerina, Dancer, Model, and Waitress Extraordinaire (cos a girls gotta eat!).

Quote Originally Posted by FatDinah View Post
    Best thing I've found is to buy a bottle of spray-on Frontline (like for dogs) and put it on the underside of the tail area and then at the girth and jaw. It will kill ticks once they get on for about 2-4 weeks depending on rain, horse out or stalled.
    I like the Frontline spray too. I put some on the tail head, under his mane, on all 4 pasterns, and under his jaw. That pretty much covers any place the ticks would crawl up from. If I use it every two weeks or so I won't see a living tick all season.

Ok so I've looked up both and the spot on seems pretty cheep, but I have no idea ow much frontline you would use in a season... so any idea which is more cost effective?

The spot on stuff does not work at all for me. One bottle of Frontline (larger sized if there's a choice) usually lasts the whole summer. So it is something like $60 for three or four months.

J-Lu, you can buy clothing already treated with permethrin. Some brands are called "Insect Shield" or "Bug Shield". You can buy concentrated permethrin (brand = Sawyer) and soak your clothes yourself. You can get all this on Amazon and other websites. The already treated clothing is good for 70 washes; your own DIY clothes are good for many fewer washes, I can't remember off the top of my head. Last year I bought a bunch of socks and pants; this year (though I haven't tried hard yet) I can't find the socks, so if they aren't made any more you could do those pretty easily yourself.

Quote Originally Posted by Mickie So Fine View Post
    I'm really, really wary of any spot-on treatments, or harsh chemicals- dealt with too many "not sensitive" horses (and dogs, and cats) who had issues. Harsh chemicals in general give me the woogs and I try to avoid them best I can.

However, ticks cary lyme, so they must die. Also they are super freaking gross and creepy, and for this they must also die. Or at the very least not come anywhere near me or my four legged critters. I'm reasonable, I can compromise.

This stuff is INCREDIBLE MAGICAL WONDER in a bottle. No joke. By far the best fly spray I have EVER EVER EVER used. I was entirely skeptical at first because it IS "all natural", but it's entirely different than products like Nature's Defense in the fact that it WORKS. It's also not going to require you to take out a second mortgage to but enough for the season.

I generally mix it a little stronger than their recommended 1:7, and go for the 1:5 (wild woman! watch out!), but feel totally comfortable doing so because there's nothing scary in there! OH NO! Too much citronella! And feel safe and have been successfully spritzing the stuff on all the horses daily/multiple times daily (baths, sweating, etc) for several years with only ill effects for the bugs. It doesn't kill ALL the ticks, but I see a HUGE decrease in the numbers I'm plucking off.

I should also at this point admit I also use this stuff on myself, the dogs, the cats, and the Boyfriend should he bitch about the bugs too much.
    Have I not had enough coffee? (Entirely possible :-) ) But *what* is this fly spray??

Also, what are its ingredients? Citronella does absolutely nothing for ticks. There are some natural things that do seem to work, notably Rosemary Oil, and possibly grapefruit seed extract, but I'm not aware of any products with these ingredients, only studies showing that they seem to repel ticks. That would be good news if someone's put them into a fly spray!

2 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by SMF11 View Post
    Have I not had enough coffee? (Entirely possible :-) ) But *what* is this fly spray??

Also, what are its ingredients? Citronella does absolutely nothing for ticks. There are some natural things that do seem to work, notably Rosemary Oil, and possibly grapefruit seed extract, but I'm not aware of any products with these ingredients, only studies showing that they seem to repel ticks. That would be good news if someone's put them into a fly spray!
    Ahhhh my links are not showing up on COTH all of a sudden? Here's the big long one: http://www.smartpakequine.com/deo-lotion--1518p.aspx

While I have heard of citronella being used successfully as an ingredient in tick repellants in my experience they have almost always been paired with other oils such as cedar and geranium oils, also ingredients in CLAC. I think the one that stands out to me (besides like... ALL the oils listed below?) is the Lauryl Sulfate for it's anti-tick properties.

Lauryl Sulfate, Citronella Oil, Clove Oil, Thyme Oil, Cedar Oil, Geranium Oil, Olive Oil, Grape Seed Oil, Vitamin E
    "Sit back and prepare to be pissed off!"

Eventer, Ballerina, Dancer, Model, and Waitress Extraordinaire (cos a girls gotta eat!).

I add Adam's Flea & Tick to my fly spray. Not a lot... just a little, but I have never seen a tick on them after using it.
    Celtic Charisma (R.I.P) ~ http://flickr.com/photos/rockandracehorses/2387275281
    Proud owner of "The Intoxicated Moose!"
    "Hope is not an executable plan" ~ My Mom
    I love my Dublin-ator

As well as the Frontline monthly, I keep a bottle of cheaper spray-on tick and flea (I use Happy Jack) and spray down my horse's legs if we are hacking in the woods or pastures. It only lasts about 1-2 days but it helps when you are riding in very tick infested areas.

Thanks everyone! THe vet was out today and she thought that Front Line spray works the best, and she recommended once weekly. I said "once weekly?" she said "yes". But she also recommended testing it on the horse first to see if he has a reaction. She said in her experience, the Equispot, which is sold by my local feed store, doesn't seem to work too well. I found a tick crawling up my thigh today , once again, I'm scratching everywhere all the time... Hello permethrin-treated clothing!