The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

PS - Sorry for hijacking OP.

If you are still interested in things for kitty teeth and willing to give some raw... Chicken thighs cut into strips or hearts and gizzards are great and usually found at the grocery store. Not sure about gizzards but hearts or any (boneless ) meat can be cooked and fed the same way. Anything the size of mouse will need to be chewed but you may need to built up jaw strength first. Long, thin strips help in the beginning.

Quote Originally Posted by Sillypony View Post
    In order to diagnose a neck lesion, you need quality dental radiographs. This tells you if you need to extract the roots of the tooth, or if the roots have alreacy been resorbed by the body, you can just do what's called a crown amputation. Either way, I would get her in for a dental cleaning, as my tech-dar is going off! Neck lesions will not be touched by antibiotics by the way.
    Assuming her bloodwork is okay for the anesthesia, kitteh's getting teeth pulled today.

She was a little less sensitive about the vet touching the same teeth this morning, but one of them looked red along the gum line and had tiny little red bubbles at its base (on the tooth part, not the gum). From Googling, this sorta looks like some of the images of feline odontoclastic resorptive lesions, but I don't know if that's correct -- is that sort of the same thing you are talking about, Sillypony? They're going to take xrays, but the vet did say they didn't have the super detailed kind.

Quote Originally Posted by CrazyGuineaPigLady View Post
    Not sure about gizzards but hearts or any (boneless ) meat can be cooked and fed the same way. Anything the size of mouse will need to be chewed but you may need to built up jaw strength first. Long, thin strips help in the beginning.
    Thanks. I probably will try the hearts/gizzards first since they are cheap to get so it's not too much of a waste if neither of them like the taste. I can also par-cook them just enough to cut down on the bacteria -- I know the barn cats routinely indulge in the occasional bird or mouse, but having witnessed the result when it "doesn't sit right"...well, that kind of mess is a little more gross than the typical cat retch.

With giving her antibiotics twice a day, she is a lot better with me touching her face so I might be able to get a toothbrush (or at least some tooth gel) somewhat near them in the future.