The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

DA, I edited my post. So sorry.
    I heard a neigh. Oh, such a brisk and melodious neigh as that was! My very heart leaped with delight at the sound. --Nathaniel Hawthorne

I have one that I wear whenever I ride out on trail, and I will school in it at home if Miss Maresy is feeling fresh. I got a vest after a bad accident that shattered my confidence in the saddle for a few years and wearing it every time I rode after that helped give me the feeling of a little more security. I was able to move on and now just wear it when I feel like I really need it, or when I go out on trail since our trails are shared with runners, bikers, and at some parts are right next to the street. Better safe than sorry.
    Proudly Owned By Sierra, 2003 APHA Mare
    In Loving Memory of Tally, April 15, 1983 - June 2, 2010

1 members found this post helpful.

I bought one to appease hubbie, shortly after I fell off jumping - one of those falls that you have time to think "this is going to hurt" on the way down, hit the ground and was pleaseantly surprised at how much it helped, wasn't even that sore the next day. I find that I roll better when I do fall now, because I am not tensing up worried about impact when I hit. I wear mine all the time, and did hunt in it, it's actually not visible under a jacket (it's a Tipperary) with a stock tie, might show a little in a rat catcher, got no comments showing with it and a polo in the jumper ring.

2 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by quietann View Post
    Does the company have a website or any contact info, anywhere? I've been looking for one of these vests and because I'm a strange size, I'd like to talk directly to the company first.

How is a Casel Equi in the heat?

I have an Airowear but it has turned out to not be a comfortable option for me.
    Casel Equi is hot, but it is easily washable and drys quick (over nite) and I like that part!

quietann, what didn't you like about your Airowear? I have been considering one as an upgrade from my old tipperary. I might be interested in buying yours, if you're thinking of selling.

Default Intense Research on Protective Vests

After breaking five bones I went on a quest for the best protective vest that would not look bad over my gorgeous Hadfield's hunt coat. I decided on the new Hit Air Light Weight model as I felt it gives the most neck protection when inflated. It is a harness-type and is so light and airy you can barely tell you have it on. The judges at the A-rated show I went to last month all commented positively on its appearance.

The once problem is that no vest will protect your shoulder or clavicle, both of which I fractured. So underneath my coat I wear a Charles Own Clavicle Protection t-shirt and a pair of Body Armour shoulder pads from the Harley Davidson shop. They are impossible to detect.

No amount of protection will guarantee an injury-free fall. But I am 64 and still showing so want to be as safe as possible. I actually ride better with this equipment on as I am more confident.

3 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by golde lily View Post
    The once problem is that no vest will protect your shoulder or clavicle, both of which I fractured. So underneath my coat I wear a Charles Own Clavicle Protection t-shirt and a pair of Body Armour shoulder pads from the Harley Davidson shop. They are impossible to detect.

No amount of protection will guarantee an injury-free fall. But I am 64 and still showing so want to be as safe as possible. I actually ride better with this equipment on as I am more confident.
    Golde lilly could you describe the Clavicle Protection shirt? I googled it but it just looks like a black shirt. Is there some stiff padding around the shoulders or something? Do you feel like you have full range of motion in it? Just curious, I hadn't heard of them before.
    "Things turn out best for the people who make the best of the way things turn out." ~John Wooden

Phoenix Animal Rescue

I did not expect that so many posters would remark that the vest makes them feel less fearful. Now I'm wondering whether these vests are our thunder shirts? This sounds very TTouch to me. It wouldn't be surprising that the snug hug does have this additional benefit.

Paula
    He is total garbage! Quick! Hide him on my trailer (Petstorejunkie).

@Paulaedwina - I can totally see it! Mine came in last night and just wearing it around the house I felt better, so yeah - People Thundershirt all the way!

Mine is a bit too short according to the guidelines (I have maybe 3.5" between the end and the chair seat when I sit, but I can't afford the price or wait time of the ones that you can order with extra long back lengths. I figure a too short one is better than nothing for me right now - again, I'm doing mostly flat and then maybe 6 crossrails. And since they do sell a type of vest that's shorter than the eventing-specific ones, I figure a too short one still offers a fair amount of protection!

RPP, I ordered the short version, because I do a lot of flat work in mine, and I didn't want the vest to touch the saddle or interfere with my position. If I were using it only for jumping, I probably would have gotten one that covers the tailbone.

As you can see, the one I have comes in many different sizes, lengths, and colors, with options for shoulder pads, back extension, and "ladies' cut."

http://www.treehouseonline.co.uk/product/5
    I heard a neigh. Oh, such a brisk and melodious neigh as that was! My very heart leaped with delight at the sound. --Nathaniel Hawthorne

Quote Originally Posted by paulaedwina View Post
    I did not expect that so many posters would remark that the vest makes them feel less fearful. Now I'm wondering whether these vests are our thunder shirts? This sounds very TTouch to me. It wouldn't be surprising that the snug hug does have this additional benefit.

Paula
    The snug hug is pretty effective actually. My brother in law is severely autistic and its what they sometimes have to do to control his temper tantrum (bear hug him basically).

Quote Originally Posted by golde lily View Post
    After breaking five bones I went on a quest for the best protective vest that would not look bad over my gorgeous Hadfield's hunt coat. I decided on the new Hit Air Light Weight model as I felt it gives the most neck protection when inflated. It is a harness-type and is so light and airy you can barely tell you have it on. The judges at the A-rated show I went to last month all commented positively on its appearance.

More info on the clavicle shirt and shoulder pads please! Feel free to PM.

I really appreciate this thread because I've been thinking about getting one myself (the Hit Air) because I do worry about falling off and I've got lower back pain to start with! I thought surely my H/J friends would laugh at me but seems like that's not the case.

I've seen plenty of people ride in one and I've never batted an eye. but I'm big on safety!

I bought a Casel Equi at the Maryland Horse Expo over a year ago now. It was with the thought that "someday" in the relatively near future I might get my horse involved in at least schooling cross country. Well, we still haven't done that (lack of transportation more than anything else at this point) and prior to a couple of months ago, I only wore it when we went out on the trails alone, just in case.

Well, I've been having some medical issues going on since really September and when my mom was visiting in January, she was kind of strongly hinting that maybe I shouldn't ride. Well, I basically told her point blank I wasn't going to stop riding but I'd start wearing my vest every time I rode. So I have and I really haven't felt hampered by it all. In fact, I think my riding has actually improved quite a bit since then (at least partly because it seems to assist in sitting up straight and reminding me to keep my shoulders back).

Anyway, that's my story.
    The Trials and Jubilations of a Twenty-Something Re-rider
    Happy owner of Kieran the mostly-white-very-large-not-pony.

The Charles Owen Clavicle Protector top is just a black tee with pockets in the shoulder area that contain rubber pads. It is really not all that protective, but it does not interfere with range of motion. It is, however, hot. Fine for winter riding but it will be too hot for the summer. So, I have removed the shoulder pads and am wearing them without the tee shirt. I had my tailor make little covers for them out of cotton with bra strap holders which is how I will get them to stay put. Those will go under my Essex show shirt. Then on top of the shirt will go the Body Armour shoulder pads which just sit nicely under my show coat.

I was champion in the adult hunters with the Hit Air vest on at the Buffalo show a few weeks ago. No one was laughing.

My hit air went off at an A rated show when I fell--several people came up to me later to ask about it. No one laughed!

I wear protective vests! I used a Tipperary for about 3 (maybe 4?) years, but I just got a Charles Owen (lower cost, higher safety rating) so we will see how that goes. I did get some weird looks though. The staff at the local tack store saw my dressage boots and said "Oh, are you an eventer?" Nope, just dressage. Then I had to explain to them that I only wore it when I was schooling.
    Tack Cleaning/All-Things-Tack nut
    ~DQ wanna-be~

Question--just got mine last month. I accidentally dismounted today without unhooking it from my saddle and it did not go off. I suppose this is because I did not have the bungee cord tight enough? Or perhaps there was just not enough of a pull since I gently got off my horse. A woman I know fell in hers at Wellington. The dr. at the ER said it saved her from breaking her neck. That convinced me to get one.

I saw some really cute teens wearing their red racesafe vests over their red jackets (it's the UK and non-team members wear red jackets for jumpers!). Blended nicely and actually looked really good! A lot of people commented positively and this was a big show (equivalent of A jumpers in NA). OP, hope that the vest allows you to ride with confidence and feel safer!

2 members found this post helpful.